• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Types of paint for home

Similar finishes

Hamsterdam
post 25.Mar.2012, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Hello,

I am trying to work out what types of paint they have here in Sweden when compared to the UK. Effectively I know what is used for different surfaces but don't know all the names or availability. So...

Silk emulsion.

Satin emulsion.

Acrylic matt emulsion.

Onecoat gloss (skirting boards etc)

Tilepaint (where I am unable to re-tile)

Cupboard paint (for tired kitchen wooden cupboards)

I thank you in advance for any advice.smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 25.Mar.2012, 01:19 PM
Post #2

First the generalisations. Outside paint systems are very different but thankfully this does not seem to be your concern. So secondly colour ranges much smaller. The remaining fact is that interior primer is not used, you use grundfärg if really necessary and then whatever top coat you choose.

Sidenmatt is silk, matt is matt, acrylic emulsion is akrylatlatex, for one coat look for högtäckande (high opacity), tile paint is kakelfärg.

I personally have been very satisfied with Landora paints http://www.landora.se/about_landora.htm (in English !) from Cheapy and ICA Max and some other outlets, with Beckers etc being far more expensive and not much better. And I have actually painted cupboards inside and out, and door trim etc with white Landora Väggfärg 07 (silk wall emulsion paint) and been very happy with the result. A quick google shows that Ronseal Tile paint is sold in Sweden http://www.mpdiy.com/index.php/produkter/k...eal-kakelfaerg/ . Now just dont ask about varnishes, that is a much trickier choice, and you may need solvent born to get a good hard wearing glossy finish, but there are lots of possibilities there.
+
Hamsterdam
post 25.Mar.2012, 01:23 PM
Post #3

Perfekt, Tackar Johno smile.gif
+
Johno
post 25.Mar.2012, 01:27 PM
Post #4

Just seen that Landora product guide is there in English (click on the left) and have downloaded a copy for myself. Pretty handy since all the recommendations for use are there. What I would have called undercoat from its use, I see they translate as primer. And I see they have added products to their range since I last looked. Never too late to learn a bit more.
+
Hamsterdam
post 25.Mar.2012, 01:41 PM
Post #5

Thanks again.
+
Rick Methven
post 25.Mar.2012, 01:43 PM
Post #6

landora paint is quite good but limited in colour range. In places like K-rauta you can get a huge range of colours in Bekers paints that they will mix for you.
+
Snood
post 26.Mar.2012, 10:49 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Johno @ 25.Mar.2012, 01:19 PM) *
Outside paint systems are very different but thankfully this does not seem to be your concern.

Out of curiosity, what's so different about exterior paints?
+
Johno
post 26.Mar.2012, 12:16 PM
Post #8

Use of Falu Röd paint, use of clear penetrating oil as a vital part of a full paint system instead of wood primer, and use of part oil based paints instead of alkyd paint as top coats. Also Lasyr type paints, known as woodstain in the UK take some appreciating.

The oil paint really caught me out. Using semi gloss Beckers oil paint which gathered mould so quickly and was hard to clean. Big mistake. I have redone all my windows and nearly all my barge and gutter boards with glossy alkyd window paint, looks better, whiter and can be cleaned easier.
+
wildersimpson
post 25.Jan.2013, 05:49 AM
Post #9

Swedish paint are very popular for woods. They are eco friendly and very durable. This paint will last on wood for 10-15 years. shag rugs
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se