• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Freelance English Writing Work in Sweden?

Does it exist...

JimmyMac
post 2.Feb.2013, 12:58 PM
Post #1

Hi Guys,

I'm a Brit living in Stockholm, my Australian girlfriend is looking into moving here permanently, she is a writer / journalist with experience in various high profile magazines and currently works for a start up in London.

Visa issues aside, Is there any work for English writers in Sweden? Freelance or Contract...

Really appreciate any advice. Thank you, James
Go to the top of the page
+
Migga
post 2.Feb.2013, 03:41 PM
Post #2

I`d say it`s non existing. Swedes tend to do well enough and if it`s something that needs proper native english then the subject is probably to small to attract any attention to justify a hiring.
+
ChocOwl
post 2.Feb.2013, 06:11 PM
Post #3

A self-employed freelancer can sell language services to international customers as well. Perhaps she can continue working for the same UK work provider as she does now. A bit of a fiddle to set up the Swedish company for her to bill from, that's all. Also assuming no visa issues throw a spanner in the works.
+
Mo
post 2.Feb.2013, 08:45 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Migga @ 2.Feb.2013, 03:41 PM) *
I`d say it`s non existing. Swedes tend to do well enough and if it`s something that needs proper native english then the subject is probably to small to attract an ... (show full quote)

Funny that, I personally have 2 friends who make a living doing just what the OP asked about in Sweden.

needs a proper english
too small

when you work freelance you are not hired but paid for the particular piece of work
+
wondering
post 3.Feb.2013, 02:17 PM
Post #5

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/norse-code/

Here is an Australian living in Stockholm and writing internationally. Maybe get in touch with him in some way .

Good luck !
+
JimmyMac
post 3.Feb.2013, 08:03 PM
Post #6

Thanks Guys! Really appreciate the comments!
+
Migga
post 3.Feb.2013, 09:48 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Mo @ 2.Feb.2013, 08:45 PM) *
Funny that, I personally have 2 friends who make a living doing just what the OP asked about in Sweden. needs a proper english too smallwhen you work freelance you are not hi ... (show full quote)

I`m glad you find my answer funny. I don`t doubt that there might be a few jobs in Sweden that needs a person that`s an English native speaker. But just because you have two friends who makes a living like that doesn`t mean that everyone has two friends doing so. I`m just trying to give my view on the situation and from my perspective it`s dire. You obviously have another view considering your two friends.

I know what freelance is but the original poster asked if there is any work in Sweden writing in English, not only freelance.
+
Mo
post 3.Feb.2013, 10:03 PM
Post #8

In this context funny means peculiar not haha and the OP states quite clearly that his GF is interested in freelance or contract work i.e. work without a permanent contract.
+
skogsbo
post 4.Feb.2013, 07:07 AM
Post #9

either way, i doubt there is so much work your friends are turning work away. It will just be 1 more person fishing in a very small pond. Better for the OP to look beyond, for freelance work in the EU and just be based in Sweden.
+
cogito
post 4.Feb.2013, 10:40 AM
Post #10

@ the OP
There is great need for English/American writers in Sweden. But Swedes are under the illusion that they know English and can do it themselves. They can't. If you look at anything published by a Swedish agency in English you will hear the Swinglish screaming through.
+
skogsbo
post 4.Feb.2013, 10:58 AM
Post #11

but if all the Swedes are happy reading Swingish, do they need someone to come along and change it? For the most part no, some legal stuff where precise wording is more critical then yes, they already do. But for 1 article a quarter in some trade periodical or an in flight magazine, that is written in English, I suspect Swinglish is quite acceptable for the majorty for people.

Some fine tuning of the TV translation wouldn't harm, but at the same time, sometimes in it's entertaining itself, as they get meanings and context so wrong. But only a native English speaker would spot that anyway.(other than Swedes who've worked in the UK or USA).
+
ChocOwl
post 4.Feb.2013, 04:30 PM
Post #12

There is a market for monolingual English editing etc in the Swedish academic world as many students write their PhD thesis in English. Applies also to published articles etc from researchers.
It is also possible to freelance by selling monolingual English services to international clients wherever you live in the world. I live in Sweden and am a self employed freelancer offering sevices such as SV>EN translation but also monolingual English services such as localisation (for my dialect of EN), editing and proofreading. My customers are located mostly in the EU and US. The internet makes such things possible.
Suggest looking at
sfoe.se and proz.com
for some ideas.
Cheers
+
dusbal
post 4.Feb.2013, 05:05 PM
Post #13

thanks for all the information guys

iklan gratis
situs jual beli
forum
indonesia community
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com