• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Christmas lights in Stockholm 2012

Whats the xmas decoration like in your hamlet?

byke
post 16.Nov.2012, 11:30 AM
Post #1

Well this years christmas lamps are going up.
And I must say, they are incredibly dull yet again and look like something from a cheap mail order catalog sent out to businesses. Yet again we are seeing recycled woven twig style (just what one wants to see, twigs in the shape of ball or other indistinguishable shape with no lamp or other defining feature), along with some other pointless update to accessorize it to "jazz it up".

I can understand the need to preserve cash in these tough economic times.
But I honestly thought that Stockholm's decorations were often part of a continuing rotation with other cities (to keep costs down) but given its these same old things again and maybe some dilapidated cinderella chandeliers which if we are honest never looked good anyway (cheap and tacky looking in a dirty white colour). Could it be that other cities do rotate decorations, but Stockholms got stuck with the ones no one else wanted?

So my question is does anyone on this board have a good selection of christmas lights put up in your town?
As Stockholms are a real disappointment yet again (Drab, tacky, soul less).
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Nov.2012, 11:39 AM
Post #2

Cities don't rotate their decorations. Why would it be cheaper anyway? They all need them at the same time.

Gothenburg has put quite a lot of effort in decorating the city (not just for Christmas, but all year around). http://www.goteborg.com/julstaden
+
byke
post 16.Nov.2012, 12:03 PM
Post #3

My thought was that maybe cities rotated their decorations in attempt to keep costs down by reusing old decorations but by offering diversity so that residents would be stuck with the same old decorations, every christmas.

GBG looks amazing in comparison.

I stand corrected on my comment regarding some aspects however.
There are a few more different decorations this year as part of a replacement scheme and I never thought I would say this, but they are even worse than those of the past.

More woven twigs in silly shapes and a sparse amount of led lamps.
But now we also see MDF planks covered in glitter and raised up?

Seriously, Stockholm's decorations are awful.

And one must really question who has been in charge to allow such a waste of cash on these things. The only reason I could think of it, would be that people with physical difficulties made these decorations (in respect to the city helping to employ people in a charitable manner), as who else would use twigs and glitter to make decorations apart from a children's TV show?

Bring back Alvin and the chipmunks sponsorship ... all is forgiven.
+
skogsbo
post 16.Nov.2012, 12:19 PM
Post #4

Even Christmas hasn't been spared in the moan'athon. smile.gif
+
byke
post 16.Nov.2012, 01:43 PM
Post #5

Enclosed is a photo showing the "happy festive" decorations on Kungsgatan (they don't contain lights)
Brace yourself ...

#Excitement

Attached Image

+
byke
post 16.Nov.2012, 01:45 PM
Post #6

And here is the main lamp section of the decorations on Drottninggatan ... (there is a red type of limp moustace in glitter/tinsel either side which appear to have no lights in it)

These are the 2 main streets in central stockholm for shopping.

Attached Image

+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Nov.2012, 02:10 PM
Post #7

Haha, that looks awful! Maybe it's a part of the "Stockholm minimalism"?
+
AW1
post 16.Nov.2012, 04:18 PM
Post #8

That second picture looks like a bit like the stick creations from the Blair Witch Project.
+
skogsbo
post 16.Nov.2012, 04:28 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (byke @ 16.Nov.2012, 01:43 PM) *
Enclosed is a photo showing the "happy festive" decorations on Kungsgatan (they don't contain lights). Brace yourself ... . #Excitement

Why don't you go round and ask for a donation off every resident and business towards some lights.

Where I lived previously in a Yorkshire village I was on the town council, we had great lights, but we needed to fund it from pub donations etc. They got trade because the place looked nice too. But its not free and somebody has to do the work to make it happen, you? Why moan about something, fix it.
+
electric_magnetic
post 16.Nov.2012, 04:42 PM
Post #10

Drottningtorget, Malmö

Attached Image
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se