• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

SFI as an evening class in Uppsala-does it exist?

For those of us working full time...

Solith
post 28.Jan.2013, 08:13 PM
Post #1

So it's about time I stopped pratting about and got fluent. Swedes at parties are beginning to have that look when I say how long I've been here and can't discuss Proust in their native tongue.

I had a look at the SFI information and it's as clear as mud. As far as I can make out you can only take it if you're unemployed and a new immigrant, but a friend of mine has been here longer than I have and (as she's unemployed) takes classes. The classes are for 4 hours a day minimum and during the day - my boss certainly isn't going to let me skip work for 20 hours a week.

Has anyone taken the classes in the evening? Currently I'm at B1 with folkuniversitetet but I find they seem to be charging more for less as you progress and it's bloody frustrating.
Go to the top of the page
+
Willy
post 28.Jan.2013, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Surely you're past SFI if you are at level B1 already? SFI is for complete beginners.
+
Solith
post 28.Jan.2013, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Really? sad.gif

Damnit I thought it had different levels. My friend spends her days discussing literature and culture - I though she was far ahead of me! Maybe it's just that she's used to speaking it.
+
jasondainter
post 28.Jan.2013, 10:30 PM
Post #4

Uppsala do have evening classes for free for SFI, I used to attend they have them twice a week (2.5 hours I believe each)

The entry wasn't that strict when I signed up, getting on the course shouldn't be an issue I would think, they're good classes.

They do accelerate pretty fast, its worth you contacting them though first since I have no idea what B1 entails, but they can point you in the right direction.

Try:

Hermods i Uppsala
Sturegatan 9
SE-753 14 Uppsala
Telefon: +46 (0)8-410 251 36
+
Solith
post 29.Jan.2013, 10:57 AM
Post #5

Thank you, I have contacted them smile.gif
+
Opalnera
post 30.Jan.2013, 09:20 AM
Post #6

B1 is SFI D level. When you go there for the sign up they get you to write a short test and evaluate where you should start. Just be warned the classes start earlier than Folkuniversitet, they go from 17.30-20 but people walk in anywhere between 17.30-18 and leave from 18.40 onwards. The classes are pretty good though, the more you go the more you get out of it.
+
Solith
post 30.Jan.2013, 11:04 AM
Post #7

People just walk in and out? How is that conducive to a learning environment? blink.gif
+
Opalnera
post 30.Jan.2013, 02:55 PM
Post #8

In most classrooms the door is at the back. They just go in and sit down quietly it's not really that disruptive. I only have good things to say about SFI in Uppsala since they changed to the Rivstart books. I recently completed it.
+
Solith
post 5.Mar.2013, 09:26 AM
Post #9

Apparently one can complete the SFI D course in a month, even with just evening classes. Hmmm. Any support for this hypothesis?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com