• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Two-year-old misbehaving - keeps feeding dogs

He's giving his food to the dogs! Deliberately!

dave.smith
post 13.Feb.2013, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Hi all -

Our two year old son is misbehaving. He's feeding his food to the dogs whenever he gets the chance. We used to be able to control it by monitoring him, but now that we have a newborn baby girl, it's more difficult, especially since he is getting fiester and more active every day, it seems!

The dogs (two German shepherd males, 4 and nearly 3) are loving it, but I doubt it's doing much for their health either. How do we get the chaos under control??

Any advice would be appreciated!
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 13.Feb.2013, 12:03 PM
Post #2

Stir-fry? unsure.gif

http://puppybeef.com/recipes.php

~~~PDX~~~
+
skogsbo
post 13.Feb.2013, 12:22 PM
Post #3

You have a 1adult to 1 child ratio. Dogs move to live outside. Problem solved.

Kids will do anything that is fun, especially if it gets the attention of parents, when that child was once the only child and got 200% of the attention. Welcome to the world of child psychology, you get no training, its on the job learning only!
+
John.Smith
post 13.Feb.2013, 12:23 PM
Post #4

When feeding the child, keep the dogs out of the room. Problem fixed.
+
Puffin
post 13.Feb.2013, 12:27 PM
Post #5

Exactly

Simples!!!
+
dave.smith
post 13.Feb.2013, 12:40 PM
Post #6

I appreciate the advice of having them live outside, but we can't really do that - they have both slept with us in our bed since they were puppies, they are not outside dogs. We keep the door open for them, but if we leave them outside for too long they tend to hound the horses as well.

The best scenario is that we leave the door open during the day so they can come in and out (when we are at home), and only leave them outside when we are away.

At night, including at dinner time, they are inside with us.
+
skogsbo
post 13.Feb.2013, 12:44 PM
Post #7

Spoilt and untrained dogs? Best you teach them not to beg for food, lie in their beds when told, I think your dogs think they are above the kids in the pecking order?

Build an outside dog run and kennel, all dogs are born outside animals they'll adapt.
+
John.Smith
post 13.Feb.2013, 12:54 PM
Post #8

We have two dogs. Both have been trained to NOT beg ever. In fact both dogs know that they are to stay in the hall when we eat at the table.

With the dogs sleeping in your bed and free run of the house you are looking for trouble and tension between the kids and the dogs. As Skogsbo said the dogs need to know they are at the bottom of the pecking order...period.

A happy dog is one that knows where he/she sits in the hierarchy and does not have to fight for or defend that position. You need to bring in a dog trainer to teach you how to manage the dogs in way that is least stressful for them and you.

Your kids is not misbehaving by the way. He is playing. Do you really think a 2 year old can understand why he shouldn't feed the dogs his food??
+
John.Smith
post 13.Feb.2013, 12:57 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.Feb.2013, 12:44 PM) *
Spoilt and untrained dogs? Best you teach them not to beg for food, lie in their beds when told, I think your dogs think they are above the kids in the pecking order?Build an ... (show full quote)

A well trained and happy dog can be great indoors and behave appropriately. One of mine is a total indoor dog but he knows which rooms he is allowed into. The other is an outdoor dog and in the day time she will take a nap outside in -20C smile.gif
+
skogsbo
post 13.Feb.2013, 01:01 PM
Post #10

I agree, but, Dave's dogs are having the best of all worlds and his kids are having fun. Everyone is happy apart from Dave.
+
John.Smith
post 13.Feb.2013, 01:14 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.Feb.2013, 01:01 PM) *
Everyone is happy apart from Dave.

No change then.
+
dave.smith
post 13.Feb.2013, 01:28 PM
Post #12

I'll have you know that both dogs have passed obedience classes. They sit, come when called, lie down, walk at heel, all the basics.

I don't consider letting them live inside with being spoilt / untrained. The only people I know who have a problem with them living inside are our muslim friends, and we specifically put them out when they visit us.

There is no tension between the dogs and kids, in fact our son went through a period where he chased the dogs and pulled out their fur, without any aggression from the dogs in retaliation. He also loves running around with the dogs outside. I'm not dismissing those with a muslim point of view on dogs, but it isn't the way we want to live.
+
John.Smith
post 13.Feb.2013, 01:40 PM
Post #13

If the dogs are so obedient then 'order' them to stop taking food off your son.. I am not kidding you by the way. Neither of my dogs will touch their food until either me or my wife give them the command. Nor will the dogs think of ever taking food (even if given) from our kids at the kitchen table as they know it is wrong.

I think you've missed the point Dave.

Either train the dogs to stay away from the kitchen while you eat or keep them out of the room. Problem fixed. This isn't rocket science.

The tension I was referring to will come as your son grows older and wants to assert himself. The dogs may see this as him challenging their seat on the hierarchy. I don't mean that the dogs will become aggressive, but they may choose not to play or interact with your son as they used to.
+
what would thomas paine d...
post 13.Feb.2013, 02:13 PM
Post #14

Several things come to mind... put Skogsbo in a pen outside...

Otherwise, put the dogs in sit-and-stay mode while everyone eats. Then reward them with a healthy chunk of meat when meal/snack time is over. And I suppose you have to keep training your children to not feed the dogs as well. That just seems like an accident waiting to happen, not good for the child or the dog.

I do think it's like John (was it John?) said that dogs are happiest when they know their place within the pack. They seem to be real creatures of habit and work best with a solid routine.

Could you give them a bone during dinner? Something to occupy them - and reward them for staying away? The trainer I knew years ago always said, praise, praise, praise! A lot of dogs really like to work, so maybe make it a kind of job for them in which their patience is praised and rewarded?
+
skogsbo
post 13.Feb.2013, 02:27 PM
Post #15

If the dogs were trained you could put your plate on the floor and they would leave it, I suspect its not the case here. Dave I'm not a muslim, I just think dogs should not have the run of the house, especially the kitchen at meal times. I grew up with collies inside, but under strict rules, since then and now, dogs outside. Cats the same, in for a bit of petting and food, but at night out, doing what farm cats should do.

Our dog could never cope inside, too warm, in his winter abode he pulls his blankets out of his kennel and lies on them there if its above minus5.
+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply