• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Visa to Canada

Processing of canada permit

luckylefty
post 3.Dec.2012, 04:17 PM
Post #1

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has an idea of how to apply for a Canadian visa here in Stockholm. I am here on Sambo .. I went through their website and not enough information was given. I need someone who has applied to give me guidlines on what documents to submit. I appreciate the response.
Go to the top of the page
+
dime_30
post 4.Dec.2012, 11:10 AM
Post #2

Hello!

Last year, I have applied for a Canadian visa from Sweden. As I remember, it was necessary to send the application along with the passport to London since the Canadian embassy in Stockholm do not process visas.

I was on business trip, so I followed the instructions at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/business/apply.asp.

Hope this was helpful!
+
luckylefty
post 4.Dec.2012, 03:25 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the response dime, really appreciate. I plan applying for a tourist visa but i do not know anyone out there. I am going with my sambo. we do not know if they will ask for an invitation letter or a hotel reservation is fine . Were you successful getting the visa last year. please let me know if you have an idea if a hotel reservation will work. Thanks a milli in advance
+
KieronT
post 4.Dec.2012, 07:17 PM
Post #4

Hi there,

I have quite good knowledge of the Ca process. First of all what passport do you hold ?, secondly how long do you wish to stay ?, what nationality is the person that you will be entering with ? and do you have a return flight ?

KAT
+
luckylefty
post 4.Dec.2012, 08:45 PM
Post #5

Hi Kat

thanks for the response . i have a ghana passport but here on sambo. my sambo is swedish. we plan staying for 2 weeks. yes i have a return flight. please respomnd. Do i need a hotel reservation since i have no friend over in canada.

Thanks in advance
+
KieronT
post 4.Dec.2012, 09:48 PM
Post #6

Hey Lucky,

Your Swedish sambo will not require a visa. (you probably know this), if you are a legal resident of Sweden and have proof that you have been so for a year or more then you will also not require this. However, you WILL need upon landing, proof that you have accommodation and travel plans whilst in Canada and a return ticket to Sweden. Canada is a very liberal country and will treat you fairly. If there is any doubt that you are intending to stay there, you must convince (with proof) that you have an on-going life back here in Sweden and that you will be returning for that very reason. i.e. a job, study family etc etc. You should contact the Canadian embassy in the U.K. to confirm, although they often give misleading information and most frequently with caution will just tell you to apply for a visa. You do not need one if you have met the criteria of living in Sweden legally for a year or more.

Hope this helps

KAT
+
luckylefty
post 4.Dec.2012, 10:04 PM
Post #7

Thanks Kat for the information , I really appreciate your response. Thanks alot.
+
KieronT
post 4.Dec.2012, 10:14 PM
Post #8

No worries Lucky,

To be honest I think that you will be absolutely fine, upon arriving you will be granted the 90 day travel stamp in your passport. If you were coming directly from Ghana and seeing family there it may be a different story !!!. Canada is NOT like the U.S., I hope it works out for you guy's and have a wonderful time, I am going back for a visit soon having lived there and been a permanent resident for thirteen years !!!

Best of luck

KAT
+
Caribbean guy/Swedish Gal
post 5.Dec.2012, 08:34 PM
Post #9

Im Canadian

Dont even try flying to Canada without a visa, you will be denied entry. Apply for your visa before you even buy your air tickets !!!
+
KieronT
post 5.Dec.2012, 10:19 PM
Post #10

Carribean,

Don't be an asshole, you are certainly NOT Canadian...No-one from Canada calls flights "Air-Tickets".

Provide an insight from your experience or bugger-off you retard.

KAT
+
Caribbean guy/Swedish Gal
post 6.Dec.2012, 07:32 PM
Post #11

IM not gonna reply to you retarded.

But heres what i was born at st joseph mercy hospital queen and roncesvalles, and lived almost all my adult live before i moved to Sweden at Queen and Lansdowne.

Dont assume shit...

Let the OP fly to Pearson and maybe he can let us know how it went without a visa in his passport.
+
Pursuivant
post 7.Dec.2012, 11:47 AM
Post #12

Your Swedish sambo will not require a visa. (you probably know this), if you are a legal resident of Sweden and have proof that you have been so for a year or more then you will also not require this

Where exactly does it state so?

As far as I can tell, permanent residents of Sweden must apply in London, and theres no place saying you don't need a visa as a permanent resident? What you say about the immigration when landing, thats with everyone, have they visa or not. You can still be returned even you have a visa.
+
hackie
post 7.Dec.2012, 06:12 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 7.Dec.2012, 11:47 AM) *
As far as I can tell, permanent residents of Sweden must apply in London, and theres no place saying you don't need a visa as a permanent resident?

If you read the thread properly, you will realize that the sambo in question is a swedish citizen, not a permanent resident.
+
axiom
post 9.Dec.2012, 07:11 PM
Post #14

Your sambo does not require a visa, however my guess it that you do, I have not come across any exceptions to this rule as described above.

In principle, visa requirements are made on citizenship, not residence. Of course there are a few known exemptions such as within the schenghen area, etc.

I would ring the Canadian Embassy and check this one, absolutely no harm in being sure and erring on the side of caution.
+
Pursuivant
post 10.Dec.2012, 02:20 PM
Post #15

Hackie - luckylettie is from Ghana, on a Sambo visa in Sweden? Which part of "permanent resident" do you not get? Nobodys interested in the Swedish hubby part of the equation.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options