• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Swedes Vs. Norwegians?

The personal conflicts between the two?

cinderelochka
post 3.Jul.2010, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Hej,
I am new here.

As a child of Swedish parents, I did not grow up in Sweden (elsewhere in EU), but I visited Scandianvia for the 1st time last year.
I spent some time in Norway, with work, and I found the people incredibly arrogant, rude, and unable to really want to help. I traveled all over-Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Drammen, Olefoss ect...

Still-seem to be the same response.

I mainly wanted to know, from a Swedes perspective-do the Swedes and Norwegians get along? When I was in Norway, and theyw ould see my Swedish name, they often made jokes in English constantly about Swedes, even when they didnt know... They also said tons of Swedes would come over to work, and speak Swedish, and it pissed off Norwegians... How does everyone else feel about this? AFter later going to Sweden, I was MUCH happier there. SO nice to meet everyone smile.gif WAY BETTER, in my personal opinion...
Go to the top of the page
+
Mirrorman
post 3.Jul.2010, 11:24 PM
Post #2

you wont get many answers from swedes on here. its an expat site. the few swedes that you will find on here are mainly stupid, arrogant or irritating. some all three. lol
+
gplusa
post 4.Jul.2010, 08:19 AM
Post #3

I get the impression that the relationship between Sweden and Norway is like the realationship betwen New Zealand and Australia. We love nothing better than to rip each other to pieces, but God help anyone else who tries it.
+
cinderelochka
post 5.Jul.2010, 03:12 AM
Post #4

ha, good answer!!
+
Kanedaa
post 5.Jul.2010, 10:20 AM
Post #5

I guess it's similar to the English with the Welsh, Scots, French, Germans and the Australians and Yanks...We love to tire each other down and we complain about each other but at the end of the day we're still friends.
+
Kevtravels
post 5.Jul.2010, 01:48 PM
Post #6

Norwegian guys are more militaristic I believe at leaast from a week I spent in Trondheim visiting aa friend from high school and she kept saying all her pals were on the border with Russia. Also some dudes I met kept going on and on about military service.
+
Puffin
post 5.Jul.2010, 02:32 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (cinderelochka @ 3.Jul.2010, 11:38 PM) *
Hej,I am new here. As a child of Swedish parents, I did not grow up in Sweden (elsewhere in EU), but I visited Scandianvia for the 1st time last year. I spent some time in Nor ... (show full quote)

I think partly this is to do with old rivalries bwtween the Nordic countries and especially to remember that Norway was formally a part of Sweden for many years (it frequently chenged hands between Denmark and Sweden) and did not become a fully independent cuntry until 1905 - so nationalism is high and Sweden is sometimes regarded as the old colonial power.

There i also bad feeling dating from the second World War where Sweden and Norway were both formally neutral but where Norway had close links to the UK - Sweden agreeed to allow German troops free passage through Sweden to invade Norway on the basis that Sweden has not itself occupied - Norway's government escaped and gverned in exile from the UK during World War II bu there remains some anti Swedish feeling among older people

Among younger people it is more of a jokey rivalry in sports, music etc - for example Norway and Sweden always criticise each others Eurovision song contest entries - but tend to vote for them biggrin.gif

They also said tons of Swedes would come over to work, and speak Swedish, and it pissed off Norwegians... How does everyone else feel about this? AFter later going to Sweden, I was MUCH happier there. SO nice to meet everyone smile.gif WAY BETTER, in my personal opinion...

I think that this can be the case anywhere where huge numbers of foreign nationals descend and make little effort to learn the language - it can be a problem as due to inter-Nordic agreements nordic nationals are allowed to speak their own language.

I have heard the same criticisms of Danes in healthcare/Skåne in Sweden

Sreangely though when my daughter had a serious accident in Norway a few years ago - most of the hospital staff were German,,,,
+
kaze
post 5.Jul.2010, 04:34 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Mirrorman @ 4.Jul.2010, 12:24 AM) *
you wont get many answers from swedes on here. its an expat site. the few swedes that you will find on here are mainly stupid, arrogant or irritating. some all three. lol

I've always wondered what people are thinking when they come here to look for Swedes. Especially those idiots who try to troll Swedes on here. lol.
+
Cage
post 5.Jul.2010, 07:52 PM
Post #9

I think its a bit of a "Frienemy" thing. (Finally I get to use Frienemy ! )

Norwegians and Swedes need each other for economic and strategic reasons, they are desperate to be different from one another for identity reasons and yet, they are so alike in many ways. I find it amusing. They are simultaneously friends and rivals.
+
Lungbög
post 6.Jul.2010, 12:00 AM
Post #10

Sounds like the links between England and Ireland to me!
+
Willy
post 6.Jul.2010, 12:38 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Puffin @ 5.Jul.2010, 03:32 PM) *
There i also bad feeling dating from the second World War where Sweden and Norway were both formally neutral but where Norway had close links to the UK - Sweden agreeed to all ... (show full quote)

To be completely correct, Germany didn't invade Norway from Sweden. Rather, once Norway was occupied, Sweden allowed the transport of troops on leave and also munitions. In 1941 the division Engelbrecht was transported via Sweden from Norway to Finland.
+
Trooper
post 6.Jul.2010, 03:14 AM
Post #12

I’m not Swedish but I have lived in both countries and I completely agree that by comparison with Swedes, Norwegians are extremely arrogant. In fact I would go as far as to say that they actually believe that the whole world even revolves around Norway. For example, try reading their slant on any world event and they will somehow find a way of placing Norway at the center of it. They once wound up Alex Fergusson, which is not difficult admittedly, by asking him, in apparent seriousness, if he was thinking of changing his teams name to Norway United… just because he had three Norwegian players! Or that. if he had more Norwegians he would do better because they didn’t drink - to which he replied, quite indignantly, that he knew quite a few Norwegians who did. The Middle East is, of course, a matter with Norway right at its heart and if their was a lunar landing the Norwegians would highlight that, if it wasn´t for the part played by a piece of equipment designed in Norway, then the whole project would never have taken place.
Then, woe betide any non-Norwegian who tries to be successful in business. For example, I know one highly successful Danish Company who decided to establish a branch in Oslo, staffed by Danes, which failed completely. So they changed the name to a Norwegian sounding name and hired an all-Norwegian staff and, hey Presto, they were accepted and successful!
If you do work as a foreigner for a Norwegian company, you might be tolerated if you are average or crap at your job but nothing more. And you must definitely not be ambitious or display any outward sign of ambition. The accepted vogue is to sit and wait for the person or people above you to eventually move on.
Do not be young. Norwegians generally don’t start their careers until they are around 30 so if you arrive at 25 you will not be taken seriously, no matter how good you are. On the other hand, if you are over 30 then make sure you are settled down because you are not supposed to "go out" any more because that is what you do before you start “work”.
Janteloven is taken extremely seriously in Norway while here Jantelagen, as it is called, is hardly mentioned...or if it is it tends to be laughed at. For those of you not familiar with Janteloven it basically dictates that nobody is supposed to do, act or be better than anybody else. This manifests itself in a myriad of ways. For example, tailor made suits, very fast sports cars, outrageous clothes or any thing really that might signify an assumed superiority are definitely out. For example, I know a girl who became socially ostracized just because she liked wearing hats. You must never be overtly good at your job or display symptoms of believing you might be (see ambition above) and definitely never tell anybody that you think you are good at anything. So, if you are in an interview and asked your opinion of your ability, you must only say that you are competent - but definitely never good or brilliant… or any other adjectives hinting at this. There are many exceptions to all these unwritten rules of course. You can be an actor or any sort of artistic type... or you can be a stockbroker or shipbroker where they accept that you might need to be more outgoing. In fact, in Norway, the highest position socially is to be a shipbroker or involved in one of the major shipping families at a high level.
Definitely do not try and establish your own business...that again raises both the obvious possibility that you believe too much in yourself …but also the obvious point that you must be incapable of getting a "normal job"
Then there is the ongoing myth, which sits at the heart of all these issues, that Norway (and ergo Norwegians) are the richest people in the world! They are far from it but refuse to see it. First of all, the average salary in Norway is only around 300,000 kr. That might sound like a lot to some people but the place is seriously expensive! This is a reality that any Norwegian will become very defensive about …because they must, for their own peace of mind!
So they will argue very hard that Norway is no more expensive than London or Paris and they will genuinely believe this? But try buying a flat in Oslo, or a drink, or a packet of cigarettes...or even a takeaway pizza (150kr minimum) and you will quickly see that you have to make serious lifestyle adjustments just to survive. No more popping into the supermarket and picking up whatever you fancy because that way, ruin lies. No, you must take a calculator and carefully work out what you can afford and then you might be able to make your money stretch out for a month. No more popping out for a quick drink either. If you do want to take a drink then make the most of it and invest wisely. No point, for example, in having just one or two drinks on a Tuesday when you could invest those drinks on a Friday night when they can contribute with several more drinks to something worthwhile...a drunken state followed by a hangover.
I know a lot of you will say that this sounds a bit like Sweden - but with Sweden you get a much more watered down version of most of these things and where, most importantly, you are allowed to succeed even if you are not Swedish. So, Sweden by comparison, is a paradise and for me at least, it’s a no-brainer. Sweden is definitely a happier and far better place to live.
+
Buckshot
post 6.Jul.2010, 07:06 AM
Post #13

You paint a very depressing picture of our dear neighbors smile.gif
Norway is expensive , but the rest... i think you´re exaggerating a bit.
+
Trooper
post 6.Jul.2010, 10:24 AM
Post #14

It takes years to appreciate this. I went there full of hope for the place and I remember something an Englishman said to me on my very first night. When I said how much I was looking forward to being there he replied with something of a sneer that, "I won´t think like that in a few years time", followed by "good luck". I had no idea what he meant and thought he was just bitter about something or other. But unfortunately he was right. Since then I have known quite a few Foreigners who have tried to make a success there and eventually given up. Of course, I am generalising. There are alot of really good willed, fine Norwegians..and the girls are great... but there is also the more general culture to overcome. My own career was virtually destroyed by them there so perhaps I am overtly bitter admittedly, but take solace in the fact that it has happened to so many other people. I still say that Sweden, by comparison, is a million times better and since I´ve been here I have been allowed to flourish.
+
floridatjej
post 11.Jul.2010, 01:36 PM
Post #15

Trooper. du är full av skit ...Norwegians didn't let in as many immigrants to destroy their country as Sweden did, so that may be the reason you felt more welcome in Sweden.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com