• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Daycare for infant?

Does it even exist here?

OkieFromMuskogee
post 28.Dec.2012, 02:51 PM
Post #1

Hi,

A few months ago we had a second child. There's a possible job opportunity for my wife that might start as soon as Feb. 1, 2013. My son will only be about 6 months old then.

Yes, it's not ideal, but my daughter started attending daycare (not in Sweden) when the was about that age as well.
So, please, not interested in discussion on the appropriate age for starting daycare. Thanks.

What I am curious about is if there is even places in Sweden that take children this young. Since dagis starts at 12 months and mothers get so much leave from work, there doesn't seem to be a market infant daycare at all. Are there other options? Also, we live in Malmö and the job would be in Copenhagen...does anyone know if there are more options in Denmark?

Thanks for the help! b, okie.
Go to the top of the page
+
mudpuddlestomper
post 28.Dec.2012, 10:17 PM
Post #2

You can check in your area to see if there is something called dagmamma.
I am not sure if they take children under the age of 12 months but it could be worth a shot.
Good luck!
+
Puffin
post 29.Dec.2012, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Subsidised daycare in Sweden does not start until 12 months - sometimes it is possible to start a month early if a place is available - so at 6 months the main options are
- a private nanny/au-pair
- the other parent taking parental leave (as both parents must take a minimum of 2 months or the time is lost)

If you move to Denmark and register there etc then you can get daycare in a so called Vuggestue from the age of 6 months although the quality varies widely and staffing levels can be much lower than in Sweden so you need to do your homework (I had a friend whose kids were in a 0-3 daycare with 20 kids and just 2 staff and she was not happy)
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options