• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Payday for woman denied job for being 'too young'

The Local
post 17.Jan.2013, 10:23 AM
Post #1

A woman who was denied a job as a receptionist for being "too young" has been awarded a settlement of 50,000 kronor ($7,700) by Sweden's Equality Ombudsman (Diskrimineringsombudsmannen).

The 20-year-old woman applied for a summer job as a guest house receptionist, armed with a CV boasting of experience in similar jobs and a secondary school education including a programme in the Hotels and Tourism field.

The guest house cited the woman's age as the reason she would not be hired.

"Thank you for your application, but unfortunately we're looking for someone older," management responded.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
Kn33grow
post 17.Jan.2013, 01:31 PM
Post #2

Where are all those who say an employer has the right to employ who he wants?
+
Lowlin
post 17.Jan.2013, 04:28 PM
Post #3

They are living in failed countries where nepotism instead of employment based on merit is the law of the land.
+
skogsbo
post 17.Jan.2013, 05:19 PM
Post #4

the employer should have been wiser and just said, she thought the others better candidates. Apart from the fact that this girl has now proven she is a future employeers nightmare and will find it tougher to get work locally for the rest of her life. Probably costing her far more than the few grand she just gained. So young, but completely lacking wisdom, there by proving the employer was correct in not hiring her!!
+
Programmeny
post 17.Jan.2013, 07:57 PM
Post #5

This is just stupid. This is political corectness taken too far. This is why foreigners can't get a job in Sweden. This is why an employer can't and won't actually tell you why he doesn't want you, so you can improve and be better next time.
Instead, they just ignore your application instead, which is 1000 worse. I'd rather tell me the reason, even if it's "you're too ugly". I wouldn't mind.
Apparently this "Equallity Obudsman" has quite some power. Maybe I should play a few cards up that sleeve, seeing as I'm a foreigner, I can practically threaten any instutution with bullshit reasons for discrimination.
Hmmm... yeah. Maybe I can get a house that way. I'll try and let you know.
+
dizzy09
post 17.Jan.2013, 09:02 PM
Post #6

@Programmeny
what the hell are u blabbing about?what has foreigners got to do with this article?
+
foxpur
post 17.Jan.2013, 09:41 PM
Post #7

#4,
The "Equallity Obudsman" is the high court of equal opportunity, they have pretty much the highest authority.
+
karex
post 18.Jan.2013, 08:33 AM
Post #8

@dizzy09 I think that Programmeny was being a bit sarcastic.
+
tadchem
post 18.Jan.2013, 03:33 PM
Post #9

18-years olds are deemed mature enough serve in the army and to be responsible with lethal weapons, so why shouldn't 20-year olds be mature enough to manage a hotel reception desk?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description