• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

UK IPTV set top box

At last..

Beef
post 22.Feb.2013, 09:23 AM
Post #1

Hi all,

With all the satellite movements and more to come, I thought I'd google round and check other forums etc..

I've just received this IPTV set top box which I can send back if not happy.

It works very well. The subs are a bit pricey but I think it's worth it. ie, can cancel VPN fees as not required.

I'd say the quality is 90% of satellite TV so very watchable, much better than projecting filmon etc.. especially the HD channels. You get basically all the UK freeview channels. You get an iPad client for free too so you can watch on the move plus full catchup of the main channels through very simple menus. Full EPG etc...

http://www.ex-pat.tv

I'm going to stick with it. Astra 1n didn't work for me and 2f is definitely not going to work and probably moving to a flat soon so IP TV will be my only option.

They can set up a free iPad demo for you in minutes. Very friendly guys. I expressed many times how skeptical I was and so far so good.
Go to the top of the page
+
voggy
post 22.Feb.2013, 10:17 AM
Post #2

Hi Beef,

Thanks for the info it is much appreciated and the IPTV does look good.

However I may try a slingbox 500 at my brothers address in the UK as he will set up a sky multroom for me so no effect on his main box and connect it to a slingcatcher or boxee box to display on my TV in Sweden. The reason for this is that albeit Freeview is good it doesn't offer a lot of the channels i'd miss which are on sky such as Sky1, Sky Atalantic. FOX HD, sky sports etc etc. This was the main reason I was hoping the satellite set up would work as much easier and if working properly excellent quality? However you are right as it seems Astra 2F is going to ruin that for many of us going forward so streaming seems the only real option as long as bandwidth is good. This I am sure is not an issue in Sweden as broadband speed is on average much higher than UK?.

Thanks for yor help Beef and I wish you look for the future
+
Mib
post 22.Feb.2013, 03:30 PM
Post #3

I use StrongVPN today and in most cases it works perfectly fine in terms of quality and streaming...which I normally view wirelessly o my iPad or iPhone. Of course it won't solve your problem wth Sky channels, but you can swithc proxies to watch American TV as well.

Alan Sugar keeps promoting this http://www.uktveverywhere.com/ which seemslegit, but when I last looked it wasn't that cheap. So not being a UK TV addict, StrongVPN is good enough for my needs. I'm sure there are other VPNs that work just as well.
+
Rick Methven
post 22.Feb.2013, 03:42 PM
Post #4

£35 a month seems a bit steep especially if you already have all the SAT equipment. A bigger dish will be much cheaper in the long run
+
Beef
post 22.Feb.2013, 05:44 PM
Post #5

Agreed regarding the price but it's worth negotiating and think it's a good solution for those who live in flats with fibre broadband.. Had mine just a while so not tested extensively but so far so good!
+
Rick Methven
post 22.Feb.2013, 06:52 PM
Post #6

I have a 100/100 fibre broadband so could have a good connection but compared to a dish when I live in a villa, it seems a bit OTT
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se