• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Advice for språkpraktik

Which companies/industries are best to apply to?

tuborgian
post 30.Jan.2013, 10:31 PM
Post #1

I want to do a språkpraktik to help me with my swedish. Here in Gothenburg we apparently have to approach companies and organise it ourselves. I was wondering if anyone has any useful experience about which types of companies/industries to apply to.

I want to concentrate on speaking swedish and not neccessarily building up contacts (all my work is english speaking and I have quite a few contacts already in my profession - I just want to be able to speak the language for personal rather than professional reasons). So I'd like a position where I get to interact with people and am not given jobs where I'm shoved out the back and don't get to say two words to anyone as free labour.

I was thinking of museum, library or estate agent work. Does that sound at all realistic?
Go to the top of the page
+
Kn33grow
post 31.Jan.2013, 04:49 AM
Post #2

Just a waste of time. You will learn the language better watching TV instead of this useless sprakpraktik.

If you really want somewhere to practice,volunteer in a 2nd hand shop.
+
tuborgian
post 31.Jan.2013, 09:06 PM
Post #3

Really? Can you explain? I don't want to work for free and get nothing out of it. Anyone else with any other experience - positive or negative?
+
Puffin
post 1.Feb.2013, 05:12 PM
Post #4

I don't know that it is a waste of time as several people in my SFI ended up with permanent jobs from their språkpraktik in my SFI group (accounting firm/Sawmill/electronics company/school library)

My advice would be to
- make sure that you approach a company where you will actually get a speaking job as it is a waste of time if the roll does not involve talking to anyone - one of the guys in my group worked for the parks department weeding flowerbeds and did not see anyone all day/whereas another one who also worked for the parks department was tasked with running the summer minigolf course at the campsite chatted to people all day
- think about what sort of role you want - one in my group regretted her bakery praktik as she had thought about a nice bakery/coffee shop selling some cakes - but what she got was a commercial bakery on an industrial estate where the shift started at 04.30 and most of the work involved scrubbing baking sheets and tins
- shops were popular (people often got free stuff) also popular were schools, daycare, old peoples homes - also knew people who did a riding school and a daycare for dogs smile.gif
+
trumanshow
post 2.Feb.2013, 07:26 AM
Post #5

I would do praktik somewhere sociable. I didn't end up with a job but it led to friends and other opportunities.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply