• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Tacos in Sweden

Swedish Tex-mex?

eurobloke
post 9.Jan.2013, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Once thing I am puzzled is that unlike chicken tikka marsala in the UK, couscous in France, rijsttafel in the Netherlands and döner kebab in Germany which is clearly originated from the country's immigrant population, why has the taco became Sweden foreign food of choice?

Can someone enlighten me on this.
Go to the top of the page
+
entry
post 9.Jan.2013, 09:25 PM
Post #2

"Can someone enlighten me on this."

Yeah, you are wrong. Where did you get this notion? Kebab, hamburger, pizza, pasta, fried chicken, Indian cuisine and sushi all seem to rate higher than tacos in Sweden.
+
eurobloke
post 9.Jan.2013, 09:40 PM
Post #3

The amount of Mexican food been advertised on TV, and the large displays of it in ICA, and Hemköp and articles in the Local. e.g. http://www.thelocal.se/40280/20120416/#.UO3VZ1HseoM
+
oddsock
post 9.Jan.2013, 09:42 PM
Post #4

Yes, Taco Friday is a known Swedish phenomenon. Where did it originate...
+
Willy
post 9.Jan.2013, 09:43 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (eurobloke @ 9.Jan.2013, 09:06 PM) *
Once thing I am puzzled is that unlike chicken tikka marsala in the UK, couscous in France, rijsttafel in the Netherlands and döner kebab in Germany which is clearly originat ... (show full quote)

Not really, in that comparison it's pizza and kebab (which matches two of the first large immigrant groups back in the sixties: Italians and Turks). You don't go out to eat tacos; places serving them are far between and rather recent.

I think the popularity of "Swedish Tex-Mex" has more to with it being easy to make at home with the family on a Friday night.
+
jvtx3232
post 9.Jan.2013, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Try a tunbrödrulle instead. You'll be surprised.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 9.Jan.2013, 10:33 PM
Post #7

Here is the story on tex-mex in Sweden: http://www.dn.se/livsstil/reportage/fran-t...till-fredagsmys

Not surprising it started as a marketing opportunity by a spice company.
+
entry
post 9.Jan.2013, 10:48 PM
Post #8

I dispute the OP claim that Tacos or even TexMex is the most popular foreign food here in Sweden. This is based on my experience over the last 8.5 years here in Sweden. None of my extended family, friends or acquaintances have shown any interest or fondness of tacos. I have made tacos on occasions here in Sweden, not as often as I have made burritos but this really is not a frequent event.

My searches for a real study in Swedish is slow but if someone else comes up with something that is not based on a TV commercial or radio jingle I would be interested. -Paul
+
eurobloke
post 9.Jan.2013, 10:51 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 9.Jan.2013, 09:33 PM) *
Here is the story on tex-mex in Sweden: http://www.dn.se/livsstil/reportage/fran-t...till-fredagsmys. Not surprising it started as a marketing opportunity by a spice company.

Tack så mycket, that article was really interesting. smile.gif

I was surprised at the popularity of sushi bars, even more so then the UK, and we like to think that we are closer to the Japanese then other nations in Europe.
+
byke
post 9.Jan.2013, 11:39 PM
Post #10

Tex mex is Swedens answer to little chef.
As long as it can go in a microwave ....
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 9.Jan.2013, 11:48 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (byke @ 10.Jan.2013, 12:39 AM) *
Tex mex is Swedens answer to little chef.. As long as it can go in a microwave ...

Microwave?
+
byke
post 10.Jan.2013, 12:27 AM
Post #12

Microwave fast food ....
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 10.Jan.2013, 02:57 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (byke @ 10.Jan.2013, 01:27 AM) *
Microwave fast food ...

Have you ever had Swedish style tex-mex? There is nothing to microwave except possibly the tortilla breads. You must be thinking of burritos...

Here is a typical Swedish "tex-mex" dinner:
1. Fry some minced meat in "tex-mex" spices.
2. Put some tortilla breads in the oven.
3. Chop salad, cucumber, tomato, onion, etc and put in separate bowls. Add one bowl of corn, of course smile.gif
4. Make some dip sauces, some salsa and grate some cheese.
5. Put above ingredients in a warm tortilla bread, wrap and eat.
+
timmah
post 10.Jan.2013, 11:36 AM
Post #14

On the subject of spicy foods, I find that whenever I order something with chili marked as 'hot' or 'very hot' on a menu in Sweden I am left disappointed. Instead of a dish that burns the cheeks at both ends, I get something I would class as at best moderate, or just not hot at all! Does anyone else find this?

To satisfy my need for hot food, I now grow my own habaneros (which are even now sprouting chilis, thanks to being perennial and kept on a warm window ledge inside!).
+
Abe L
post 10.Jan.2013, 11:47 AM
Post #15

Interesting subject, I've been greatly disappointed by the severe lack of real and authentic Mexican food in Sweden. There are hardly any Mexican restaurants or burrito places.

You have the Taco Bar concept which is horrible, everything tastes the same and they use sub-par quality ingredients. Then there is one other place that apparently the "mexican locals" recommend in Stockholm, but also left disappointed.

I'm positive there would be good money in opening an authentic and proper Mexican restaurant in Stockholm or by bringing some chain concepts such as Chipotle over to Sweden.

I really can't agree with "the taco became Sweden foreign food of choice?", the burger and kebab are far more popular. Proven by the abundance of burger and kebab shacks all over the place.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com