• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Sweden's role in Outer Space

Building and enhancing cooperation for outer space

begum
post 23.Nov.2012, 05:38 PM
Post #1

What would be Sweden's role in this issue?
- Considering;
future problems may appear in peaceful uses of space (e.g weaponization)
-loads of national and international frameworks existence
-space sustainability
-private industries
-future projections(e.g space colonization, searching for life)
-space law.

Thank you rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Hisingen
post 24.Nov.2012, 02:18 AM
Post #2

Apart from the well known Swedish astronaut, there are companies involved in space - satellites and such, providing the various electronics needed for such ventures. One company, now taken over by a Swiss company was SAAB Space, but the company is still involved in satellite components.
As to there being a Swede going off into space any time soon, that much I doubt. But at least Sweden is involved materially.
+
Yorkshireman
post 24.Nov.2012, 09:16 AM
Post #3

Sweden's role in Space is still to be clearly defined. It was one of the founding members of the European Space Agency, and is a member of various global committees eg. Committee on Earth Observation Satallites, Committee on Space Research. And like many nations has signed the Outer Space Treaty, Rescue Agreement, Liability Convention and Registration Convention. I suspect that as it is embedded more and more into the EU that anything will in future be more European in nature rather than Swedish.

It will be interesting to see what comes from the venture with Virgin Galactic, as Kiruna is one of the 1st Spaceports that will take space flights and tourists.
+
Pursuivant
post 27.Nov.2012, 06:08 PM
Post #4

Apart from the well known Swedish astronaut,

You mean Achilles Wiggen laugh.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options