• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Indoor place for exercise

Non paid facility for running?

enas_Nikolas
post 14.Nov.2012, 11:04 AM
Post #1

Hi everybody,
During the summer there are numerous open places and parks for one to run and exercise here in Stockholm.
I would like to ask you, if you know any indoor places (not paid) where one can exercise. Apart from the paid facilities that the gyms provide.
Thank you for your time.
Go to the top of the page
+
Mark249
post 14.Nov.2012, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Jail
+
Puffin
post 14.Nov.2012, 11:33 AM
Post #3

Depends where you live

Most kommuns have outdoor winter sports facillities - although you have to bring your stuff - often you can buy 2nd hand skates/skis
- outdoor cross country skiing trails
- outdoor skating on rinks, lakes, rivers etc

Some kommuns have free public ice skating times posted at the rink
- med klubba - with hockey sticks/pucks
- utan klubba' - just skating

Some public swimming pools are cheap 30-50kr for unlimited time

Some kommuns have drop in gyms/activities where you pay 50-70kr/time

otherwise people go power/Nordic walking in the streest/parks for free
+
beefpatty
post 14.Nov.2012, 08:18 PM
Post #4

I would also like to know this as the pathways are too slippy in winter for running. Is there somewhere they clear the snow and ice on a track?

I do know Hagaparken clear the pathways around there but it is quite far away from me.
+
gplusa
post 14.Nov.2012, 10:55 PM
Post #5

I had a great 2 hour outdoor run on Saturday with -8 deg. Last year I only gave up when it dropped below -15. If you have the right gear there is no reason why you can't run outdoors almost year round. Winter running is a great feeling.
+
skogsbo
post 15.Nov.2012, 07:30 AM
Post #6

I agree, it's only the hard packed snow that gets a little sketchy sometimes. But the right footwear solves all problem. Get some off road shoes, trail shoes or some well cushion orienteering shoes, many of which will have little spikes fitted or you can fit them yourself. Spikes are no good if you plan running much where there won't be much snow, but purely off road/pavement around parks etc, they'll be fine.

Many local running clubs, will make short loops for skiing in winter. You can buy a complete kit of poles/skis/boots for skating or classic for under 3000kr, often much less, or build a set from other folks 2nd hand gear. Then you have a sport that makes the most of the weather.
+
enas_Nikolas
post 15.Nov.2012, 10:34 AM
Post #7

Guys, thank you very much for your interesting suggestions and ideas for outdoor exercising. Indeed, there are plenty of options, I have enjoyed them too.
But I was referring to "indoor". Inside halls, or other types of sport facilities. Or even non sport, just some free space, but indoor.
Are there any?
Thanks!
+
Puffin
post 15.Nov.2012, 10:46 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (enas_Nikolas @ 15.Nov.2012, 10:34 AM) *
But I was referring to "indoor". Inside halls, or other types of sport facilities. Or even non sport, just some free space, but indoor.

Indoor places tend to charge because of the huge costs involved in maintaining/heating an indoor sports centre/track in minus 25C

You can do it cheaper
- if you join the local running club you make find their winter training programmes come free in your membership fee
- some kommuns have cheaper gyms/sport halls - but it will still cost

Swede's tend to exercise outside though - Nordic walking
+
Puffin
post 15.Nov.2012, 10:47 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 15.Nov.2012, 07:30 AM) *
Many local running clubs, will make short loops for skiing in winter. You can buy a complete kit of poles/skis/boots for skating or classic for under 3000kr, often much less, ... (show full quote)

yes try second hand places - I got stuff for 250kr and skates for 80-100kr
+
Puffin
post 15.Nov.2012, 10:51 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (beefpatty @ 14.Nov.2012, 08:18 PM) *
I would also like to know this as the pathways are too slippy in winter for running. Is there somewhere they clear the snow and ice on a track?

Depends on conditions - they tend not to scrape off all the snow and ice - be VERY careful (I destroyed my knee 2 years ago slipping on ice just walking and have still not fully returned to work)

Do not run on tracks that have been prepared for cross country skiing (ie if the ski tracks have been laid) the ski clubs get very upset that their work is destroyed and some now report it to the police as criminal damage
+
Svensksmith
post 15.Nov.2012, 04:31 PM
Post #11

Any highrise with a set of stairs is a great place to exercise. Ten or fifteen flights running up and you'll be feeling it.
+
gplusa
post 15.Nov.2012, 05:33 PM
Post #12

Excellent advice with regard to stair running. A great way to strengthen up your quad muscles, calf muscles, knees, and of course the all important foot muscles. Strong toes and arches are the key to running power and to staying injury free. Stair running is also good for working on technique, with continuous repitition. Well recommended.
+
Hisingen
post 15.Nov.2012, 06:08 PM
Post #13

There is always the opportunity of buying a treadmill, and then you can do your walking/running in the comfort of your home, watching TV or listening to your hi fi at the same time. Once the initial outlay is made you have it at your disposal any time day or night. Other than that, there is little that is provided free in this day and age since there is always a cost for someone somewhere.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com