• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

There's two contradicting news on the front page

Swedes being sent to Greece to work

Programmeny
post 29.Jan.2013, 04:40 PM
Post #1

So there's two piece of news on the frontpage. One that says Sweden is sending its youth to Greece and Spain for work - this makes no sense in its own, but coupled with the other piece of news, becomes mind-boggling. http://www.thelocal.se/45874/20130129/

The other article states that Sweden is now pushing laws to hire more non-European workers, to offer them work permits more easily, etc. because apparently there's a shortage of workers. http://www.thelocal.se/45880/20130129/

This makes NO SENSE.

I've been in Sweden for the past two years, I'm a white European, I speak Swedish, I have a personnumer and the right to work, I've applied to over 300 jobs, went weekly to arbetesformedligen and still got no job. I'm 23, I would pick berries, shovel snow, deliver mail. I also have a masters from Uppsala University but that doesn't matter - I would do any job and yet, nobody is hiring.

Where's the logic in that?
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 29.Jan.2013, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Get your facts straight: tens of thousands of places are hiring in Sweden, so the logic is ... you are doing it wrong unsure.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
hackie
post 29.Jan.2013, 05:34 PM
Post #3

@OP, One of the following must have happened when you were reading the news:
Either
You read the news with your monitor/screen turned upside down
OR
You read the news with your head turned upside down
OR
Your eyes were closed when you were reading the news.
OR
Even more options that I can't finish listing.

That is not what I read in the news.
+
Migga
post 29.Jan.2013, 08:48 PM
Post #4

The jobs that Sweden need people for are high skilled jobs. The Swedish youth doesn`t have high skills so they have to turn to other countries, because most of the low skilled positions in Sweden have been filled by low skilled members of different minority groups. The reason why companies hire immigrants instead of Swedish youths is because the state pays half the salary for immigrants instead of the companies but not for Swedish youths. Simple really and the companies don`t complain.
+
Yorkshireman
post 29.Jan.2013, 11:29 PM
Post #5

What is mind boggling is that there isn't much said in the news about the bars and restaurant jobs!!!

Whilst it is claimed that the VAT reduction in restaurants created jobs, it kind of fails to mention that it is almost entirely paid for by Tax Payers, that didn't even benefit from cheaper meals!!!! VAT was reduced, and prices not, 4000+ restaurant jobs created via the step-in program where the tax payer pays 85% of the salary ??? Mind boggling ...restaurants have completely free employees, yet prices still didn't reduce!
+
Migga
post 30.Jan.2013, 12:03 PM
Post #6

Yup, tax funded jobs aswell.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 30.Jan.2013, 01:54 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 30.Jan.2013, 12:29 AM) *
What is mind boggling is that there isn't much said in the news about the bars and restaurant jobs!!!Whilst it is claimed that the VAT reduction in restaurants ... (show full quote)

Good riddance, if only they could reduce the VAT all across the board... preferably together with slashed payroll and income taxes.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options