• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Gold-digging by women, is it wrong?

Swedish Countess Marie Douglas-David, for example

Querist
post 13.May.2009, 11:16 PM
Post #1

nypost.com / countess_has_hot_new_swede

QUOTE (NY Post)
BEAUTIFUL blond Countess Marie Douglas-David is taking a break from her rancorous Connecticut divorce from her wealthy, elderly husband with a hard-bodied financier in her native Sweden."

"The aristocratic stunner's handsome new and more age-appropriate man, Saxon, 43, is the founder of Saxon & Partners and Saxon Capital AB in Sweden."

$43 million (US) upon divorce - The Swedish Countess claims this amount is not enough.

Question: Gold-digging by WOMEN. Is that wrong?

Comments welcome.
Go to the top of the page
+
freethinker
post 14.May.2009, 06:18 AM
Post #2

Bah, the best defense anyone can have whether they are male or female is to have an lawyer draft a rock solid Prenup. Then if a Gold Digger hopes to cash in durring a divorce they get nada.
+
alisonashley
post 14.May.2009, 08:13 AM
Post #3

The majority of men have been abusive towards women and children since the apple. Men have killed and are still killing to be rich and/or gain something. So, it is comparatively innocent for a girl to cash out.
+
post 14.May.2009, 08:33 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (alisonashley @ 14.May.2009, 09:13 AM) *
The majority of men have been abusive towards women and children since the apple.

totally idiotic crock of the proverbial skit. the rest is pretty inane as well.
+
Jamtjim
post 14.May.2009, 08:42 AM
Post #5

The majority of men have been abusive towards women and children since the apple. Men have killed and are still killing to be rich and/or gain something.

Whackjob Alert! Whackjob Alert! Code Bonkers...
+
nlidukdese
post 14.May.2009, 08:53 AM
Post #6

I know I should know better than to mix in a discussion with women about women, but I am rather unconvinced by arguments that are intended to justify the behaviour or support the rights of any individual based on the group or groups this individual happens to belong to.

I could also imagine that for women who see themselves as individuals rather than as an element of a rather diverse group, this line of reasoning could be quite insulting. If I were a woman I'd like to know I've gained certain benefits (say, a pay rise) because I deserve them, not because I'm a woman.

I'm not talking about being soft on gender-based discrimination here. Women and men should have equal rights and opportunities, and as far as I can tell that seems to be the case in Sweden. However, whether or not those opportunities are then seized by women is, in my view, largely the responsibility of individual women themselves.

And as for gold-diggers? Not my cup of tea, but then there isn't much gold to be dug here. As long as it's not illegal, then who cares about the long-term investment strategies and risks of other people?
+
Janie
post 14.May.2009, 08:55 AM
Post #7

Just because a woman is married to a rich man, why assume she's a gold-digger? Maybe she loves him. Anyway, even when women do marry men for the money, the men still are still consenting to marry the woman. I am not that keen on the idea of pre-nups. Say a poor woman marries a rich man with a pre-nup in place, saying that if they divorce she'll get nothing or very little. If the man turns out to be a bit of a w*****, it kind of gives him a license to treat her badly knowing that divorce is a higher risk for her and he doesn't have much to lose by it. (of course this applies to rich women who marry poor men too.) Also, the marriage vows involve making everything that's yours your partner's, how can you legally promise to do that in front of witnesses but nullify it in another contract? If a rich person is really worried that they're being used by a gold-digger, then they don't have to marry that person.
Some men also actually kind of want to be used for money by women. I myself had a marriage proposal from a fellow who tried to tempt me to marry him by promising to provide for me financially.
Men benefit from genuine gold-diggers anyway - look at Hugh Hefner, do you think any of those hot young girls would touch him with a ten-foot bargepole if he wasn't loaded? I don't hear him complaining.
+
Bee
post 14.May.2009, 08:56 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (alisonashley @ 14.May.2009, 09:13 AM) *
The majority of men have been abusive towards women and children since the apple. Men have killed and are still killing to be rich and/or gain something. So, it is comparative ... (show full quote)

I aggree 100%! Best thing anyone has wrote on here for ages...but you made me do the apple thing! You and my (trouser) snake.
+
post 14.May.2009, 09:09 AM
Post #9

cute how all these guys come out in full force to gossip.
laugh.gif
what a bunch of cackling nancies.
+
Bee
post 14.May.2009, 09:11 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (7 @ 14.May.2009, 09:33 AM) *
totally idiotic crock of the proverbial skit. the rest is pretty inane as well.

I think you are missing the point!
+
nlidukdese
post 14.May.2009, 09:22 AM
Post #11

007, if that was aimed at me, then would you care to explain why you think I'm a cackling nancy?
+
Bee
post 14.May.2009, 10:20 AM
Post #12

Because anyone not in the "click" is considered so.. it is also well known round these parts that said "click" knows it all, have such a sense of fun, yet often miss what is right infront of their noses. I also think he should develop further exactly what a "cackling nancy" is..
+
Miss Kitten
post 14.May.2009, 10:42 AM
Post #13

Since when is the age of 67 considered "elderly"?
+
kaze
post 14.May.2009, 10:52 AM
Post #14

Marrying someone for money- no, thats the natural way for women to work (no offence to women, I mean it literally in nature). Its not nice but its acceptable.
Marrying then divorcing for gain though- very very bad.
+
*Grandma Death*
post 14.May.2009, 10:53 AM
Post #15

And since when is it only women that can by gold diggers? rolleyes.gif Her husband met her while she was an asset manager for Lazard Asset Management, investing in United Technologies stock (which he was then a CEO of). I highly doubt the woman was some gold digging bimbo...

No one ever seems to mention the fact that the man married a woman who is 30 years younger than he—or that perhaps he married her because of her title? It's a two way street here ... personally, I think they both deserve each other.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com