• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Anyone moving to London?

Well I am leaving STockholm

expat84
post 4.Feb.2013, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Hi,

i am a european citizen, 28 years old female, i have been here for sometimes now, came here on my own , found a job pretty fast (not my ideal job lol ! but pretty decent) as well as an appartment, so far it has been fine. I just feel the need now to go somewhere else now and explore.

I were wondering if anyone were also moving to London around June-july 2013? maybe to work or to study? it would be interesting moving there with a few people if possible, otherwise i am still willing to move there alone.

I lived in a few countries and i miss having bubbly people around me, chatty and who like laughing not saying that people in Sweden are boring but it is a bit too quiet for me now appart from that my stay hasbeen great here.

regards.
Go to the top of the page
+
Skugglegend
post 5.Feb.2013, 12:35 AM
Post #2

Haha I´m leaving this shit hole soon. I loved London before, but moving here gave me a very different view. It´s nice tourist place...but live here..

I hope you find a good job with good pay

No I´m not gonna sound like some people here....like when they complain about Sweden

I love the pubs, restaurants and museums

But everyday life...maybe It´s just me...but I´m too old for this now...live like shit and the salaries they offer you...what can I say..It´s a joke.

I went to Manchester and I fell in Love, that´s England for me, the good England. But London It´s just a dirty, unfriendly shit hole
+
Programmeny
post 5.Feb.2013, 03:40 PM
Post #3

I'd love to come, but there's no jobs and too much discrimination against immigrants like me at the moment in Britain, so I'd rather not.
+
expat84
post 5.Feb.2013, 10:25 PM
Post #4

let's be positive guys lol ! cheers !
+
AW1
post 5.Feb.2013, 10:30 PM
Post #5

What line of work are you currently in?
+
expat84
post 5.Feb.2013, 11:07 PM
Post #6

sorry but so far i posted an ad regarding London but i am not getting any relevant replies unsure.gif . one was complaing about London being dirty, another one was saying that London was racist biggrin.gif and now one asking about my current job. i guess i will have to stick to my original plan which was moving there alone anyway. i am still up for it. Thank you for the replies.
+
Pursuivant
post 6.Feb.2013, 11:34 AM
Post #7

So what were you asking for originally? People who hold your hand while you jump off the bridge?
+
coldjava
post 6.Feb.2013, 11:49 AM
Post #8

I will be moving to UK for my masters study but not until September . when are you moving?
+
Elf_Moon
post 6.Feb.2013, 12:35 PM
Post #9

Hey Expat,

I wouldn't take it personally, you are asking a perfectly reasonable question, though you are looking in the wrong place, perhaps.

Here is a better place to look:

http://www.gumtree.com/

I found one or two friends/housemates on here in the past. Just be careful though, vet these people first, there are a lot of scammers here, who try to find new and interesting ways of scamming you.

Like this one for instance:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...don/7648092.stm

You will get your fair share of scammers on a lot of websites but more on Gumtree I've noticed.

It is a great place to find people looking for shares though. Here as well:

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/

That one is an excellent place, you can see the profiles of people looking for flat shares and set one up yourself, then post an ad about what you are looking for in a new flatmate smile.gif

Hope this helps!
+
expat84
post 6.Feb.2013, 07:45 PM
Post #10

-Elf_Moon
thank you very much ! i really appreciate your advice ! i have check them up nice to see actually somebody writing about the topic, tabout the scammers i will then keep my eyes wide open.

-coldjava
i will be moving there around july ! then not too far from you, i am going to study there too ! do you know which part of London will your university be? mine in West London.

-Pursuivant
i dont know what you are talking about, you need to read the post again before saying nonsense as i said i am planning to move there with or without people then i dont need anybody to hold my hand lol ! my plans are all set but of course since i am a sociable person i wouldn't say no to good company to share a good experience, you seems closer to the edge of the brigde ready to jump than me dear. I understand now my my 2 friends urged me not posting here because they said so many people comes here just to fight because they feel so lonely or just need to show off behind their computer very sad indeed. Pursuivant be cool ! and relax !
+
Somebody
post 6.Feb.2013, 09:11 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Skugglegend @ 5.Feb.2013, 12:35 AM) *
Haha I´m leaving this shit hole soon. I loved London before, but moving here gave me a very different view. It´s nice tourist place...but live here..I hope you find a good j ... (show full quote)

Sorry for OT, but what do you mean by low salaries.
Could you give some examples, figures, etc?
+
Skugglegend
post 7.Feb.2013, 12:40 AM
Post #12

Haha yes there are so many examples...can´t count. Ok you can get good salary in London (If you´re lucky)...but the competition is so much higher here and also because I guess without unions companies can use people much...It´s very obvious. I´ve seen mid/senior roles..salary .£18000 annual!!?? and then you have rent £600, monthly Oyster £140...well I don´t understand how some people do It here. I couldn´t survive on that...I would get more working on Mc Donald´s in Sweden. I sometimes see lower £15000 annual.
+
Elf_Moon
post 7.Feb.2013, 01:14 AM
Post #13

I'm sorry Expat... But I need to have my say on this ^.^

Yes! I was offered 15000 a few years back... To live in London! They even said I would have to work unpaid overtime... Sometimes up to 70 odd hours a week he said. I was like 'Um... No thanks...' I was a university graduate (starting out in my industry) at the time but I certainly wasn't that desperate for work.

Here in Sweden I get a lot more than that, I can assure you AND it's 1000 times easier in terms of technical skill required than the role offered in London (though I would like something requiring more skill if I am honest)- and overtime is purely my choice should I wish to undertake it smile.gif I will never understand how employers in England can get away with treating people so poorly.

Just before I moved to Sweden I was offered 20,000 for a VERY highly skilled role in the UK and my Swedish friend whom works in a factory as essentially an unskilled worker, laughed at me for being offered such a paltry sum -.- That really did wake me up to the reality of how poorly treated one is in England- the benefits suck, the holiday schemes suck, the paperwork is depressing...

Oh! And here I can join a union without being throttled by an angry boss for doing so, it's brilliant biggrin.gif (Plus, not one call while I was on holiday... Not one! It was amazing smile.gif )

I should stop now, it's late... I'm so going to die in the morning.
+
expat84
post 7.Feb.2013, 01:30 AM
Post #14

hey guys relax, i am just going their to study, not to work and after my studies my next destination will be Canada to work, then those London frustrations aren't mine biggrin.gif . i yes look forward to meet people from all over the world in London, socialize more and concentrate on my studies. smile.gif
+
Skugglegend
post 7.Feb.2013, 01:48 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Elf_Moon @ 7.Feb.2013, 01:14 AM) *
I'm sorry Expat... But I need to have my say on this ^.^Yes! I was offered 15000 a few years back... To live in London! They even said I would have to work unpaid ... (show full quote)

I know!!!

Well my first interview experience here....salary £18000 annual...and I thought ok...maybe for a while just to get UK experience, can use my savings also to survive.

But...the man who interviewed me told me you have to work very hard...at least 7.30 every evening, you have to learn the job in 2 weeks with no help...If we don´t like the job you do you have to leave immediately. He only talked about what they want from me. He treated me like I was 19 looking for my first job experience and he didn´t even consider to think...If I wanted the job, what do they have to offer me!? He was just very rude, interrupted me all the time.

Well I´m just used to from interviews in Sweden that the company actually try to sell in themselves too...why I want to work for them.

Well my friend here had another interview...and wow that´s another story....haha
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com