• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Job market conditions in UK

Wanna relocate from Sweden to UK

leadguitar
post 21.Nov.2012, 10:27 PM
Post #1

Hi Guys,

I have been wondering for some time to trying to live in the UK for a while. I'd like to ask from those of you from UK or familiar with the state of affairs there, how is the job market in the engineering fields (like ICT/Telecomm) at the moment, and what are the prospects for a legal foreigner to get a job in greater London. Any tips or useful resources would be highly appreciated smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
superhoff
post 22.Nov.2012, 01:48 AM
Post #2

you can find work easy enough trouble is that a lot of it is minimum wage which isnt enough to live on . sad.gif
+
Pursuivant
post 23.Nov.2012, 01:11 PM
Post #3

Well, the first thing is to brush up your CV, then put it up on IT sites, like reed, cwjobs, jobsite, monster and start applying. Oh, and you will be getting a lot of "promiseware" calls from recruiters.

Some places are reluctant if you don't have an "UK" address, but you can always give "Outer Circle, London NW1 4RY c/o Gabriel Orilla". Likewise for the phone you can pay a little and get an "UK Landline" thats a voip number and will ring in your mobile in Sweden.

Once you find your first job and move over you are much better off then upgrading once you are established. but it can be done even from overseas - though you need to then have some skill very much in demand.
+
leadguitar
post 3.Dec.2012, 08:58 PM
Post #4

Thanks you so much for your replies and information. Very much appreciated. So basically It's not that easy to find a job in London when you are outside? Is it because the employers are reluctant to pay for your interview trips/relocation? Or that just like Sweden, they prefer the local blondes? Though I find London totally different and truly multicultural compared to this little nordic country smile.gif
+
Tegid
post 3.Dec.2012, 10:34 PM
Post #5

Less to do with local discrimination (after all London is made up of all nationalities), more a reflection of the pace of the city. Jobs come and go very quickly, employers are not short of choice, it means if you get a job offer the start date will most likely be 'as soon as possible'.

Recommend you check the links given by the previous poster, although dealing with job agencies can be frustrating, it's the quickest way into the London job market. Also check the job centre plus website.

Can't really comment on the fields you want to work in, but I lived in London for 14 or so years. I would repeat that finding work is not so hard, but finding the 'right' job can be.

Lycka till!
+
the_partisan
post 4.Dec.2012, 08:48 AM
Post #6

There are plenty of well paid IT jobs in London, if you are good at what you do, you will find something within 1-2 weeks. Just browse some of the job sites and make contact with the recruiters.
+
Pursuivant
post 4.Dec.2012, 01:26 PM
Post #7

Is it because the employers are reluctant to pay for your interview trips/relocation?

You owe me a new keyboard. Unless theres light shining out of your ass they pay jack. Interviews are at your own expense - I got mine as we managed to organize a Skype interview... after all they claimed to be an IT company... but I was all calculating to spend at least 2-3 weeks, staying at some really cheap hovel in London and try and score interviews for that period. But then you get a lot of companies in randon towns, you really need a car to get to them. As far as being local - you can always score a crap job "speaking Swedish" in Belfast, but I had some recruiter thinking I was joking when I was applying to there. "Yes I know where its at & willing to relocate"... to no avail.

As Tegid says the situations move quite fast (or then not at all). Usually companies put in a tender and start hiring the dozen coders they need - so you get 3-4 companies hiring... in the end, only one of them gets the tender, so there isn't 48 jobs out there, just the 12... and 10 recruiters trying to score so it looks like 480 jobs... still its only the 12...

So its not impossible to get a job, a place to live and even the paperwork started for a bank account from overseas... if I could do it so could you, but it requires being "in the know" and ability to scram at a moments notice.
+
Pursuivant
post 4.Dec.2012, 01:31 PM
Post #8

Oh, and while you are used to Swedish unions and all that lagom, in UK it all depends on the company http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/de...sh-lunch-breaks
Things you take for granted are "benefits". And no, they don't diskutera, the boss tells you if your opinion may be uttered into the toilet bowl when you're alone.

Well... maybe thats too harsh, but its sometimes quite "are you being served". And in the office you wear an "office uniform", far more "conservative" than in Sweden... So what you need to have is good observation skills to "fit in", but you will have a bit of a culture shock.
+
leadguitar
post 1.Jan.2013, 11:00 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 4.Dec.2012, 01:26 PM) *
You owe me a new keyboard...

I didn't quite get what did you mean by that?

But thanks for providing me with all these useful information.
So given that the job market is quite speedy and flexible in the UK, there are no permanent positions
or being permanent after 6 months of probationary employment? How do people get mortgage with temporary
contracts? How do the banks finance them for buying a new car and such??
+
trumanshow
post 2.Jan.2013, 04:39 PM
Post #10

Hi leadguitar,

You should have no trouble finding something. You may well even find something where Swedish language is useful...check out some of the language recruitment websites. Technical support jobs are not hard to find and in my experience always have a smattering of foreign nationals - even outside London. Reading is a good place to look for IT jobs. As a Swede, the stereotyping will be in your favor. It depends on your skills obviously. I hear that the trickiest thing is to get a bank account - I suppose because most bank accounts offer some sort of instant credit facility but if you have a job it should be no problem. the biggest problem you might have is that the UK has a strange credit rating system - Experian, Equifax and one other i believe now and when you apply for a car loan, mortgage, credit card these systems get checked. Your creditworthiness is also based sometimes on being on the electoral register. People who are the best people to give credit to are often seen as the worst and vice versa. I.e If you have never borrowed money you are not a good bet. If you have borrowed money and missed a couple of payments here and there you are probably OK. If you don't register on the system at all then you will find it hard to get into the UK credit system...for all this stuff you might want to look at moneysavingexperts. When I wanted to sort my credit score out a few years ago I got a contract mobile phone and a mickey mouse £200 credit card - spend £10, pay off £10, this way you get picked up by the credit scoring system.
+
Pursuivant
post 3.Jan.2013, 04:37 PM
Post #11

I didn't quite get what did you mean by that?

That your assumption of paid interview flights was so silly I snorted coffee out of my nose laughing so hard, hence the need for a new keyboard.

So given that the job market is quite speedy and flexible in the UK, there are no permanent positions or being permanent after 6 months of probationary employment?

There are permanent positions, but you can get sacked on the fly off them too. Probationary periods are the standard 3-4 months... haven't seen 6 month probationary period, but they might exist. Theres a whole lot of "contracting" positions which isn't a bad idea if you can get it flying and get a decent umbrella company to keep your books. Well, that is what you are doing, java coders seem to be hot shit, yesterday I got 4 recruiters calling me! And I am *not* a java coder...

How do people get mortgage with temporary contracts?

How do people get mortgage is the question.

How do the banks finance them for buying a new car and such??

Ok, you owe me a second keyboard wink.gif

As trumanshow says, the credit rating system is from the arse and sideways. you need to be in the electoral register, living at an address 2 years or over... I got a phone contract and internet off three without a hitch and a shit credit card I am keeping my noise clean with. Bank is giving me £1000 overdraft, but wouldn't give a £1000 loan...
+
Pursuivant
post 3.Jan.2013, 04:42 PM
Post #12

I hear that the trickiest thing is to get a bank account - I suppose because most bank accounts offer some sort of instant credit facility but if you have a job it should be no problem.

Lloyds TSB - whatever opinion people got of them, has this very nice option "are you a recent immigrant to the UK" when applying for an account. They don't have as much "stupid questions" and impossibilities like filling in an address without UK postcode... I had a room rented so I actually had the welcome package waiting at my landlady's place and walked in to the local bank office to show my passport and work contract and I didn't need to bring Bjorn my uncle with me like in Sweden. wink.gif And they gave me a £300 overdraft facility which I was flabbergasted about after hearing of how tight it has gotten... don't know if they're as flush now, but still.
+
Pursuivant
post 3.Jan.2013, 04:45 PM
Post #13

Actually, the biggest bureaucratic hurdle was getting the NI number. You need to call - from the UK on an UK phone - to the JobCentre number and after an interrogation you will be given an appointment at a special office they do thses things you have to show at... and with ALL THE PAPERS regarding your shoe size and if you are alive or dead or married or divorced...
+
CathySky
post 3.Jan.2013, 05:59 PM
Post #14

Get your NI number and a UK address, then you are set to go!

I got a job 1 week after moving to London. Although they do expect you to start sharpish after the offer..so be prepared for that.
+
june baby
post 9.Jan.2013, 09:11 PM
Post #15

The IT industry is still hiring in London. Rental prices are on average £1250 per month for something reasonable sized and clean and you need a 2 month deposit or find a house share which is cheaper.
Some recruitment agencies will happily help you from Sweden to London, directly with employers can work too. LinkedIn jobs and Monster I find useful.
I moved from Stockholm to London in 2011 with the company I worked for and I managed to transfer my banking from Handelsbanken in Sweden to their London office, so it was relatively easy. They had everything set up in a matter of days. A credit card was possible after 6 months, you can find some that help you establish credit records but with extremely high interest rates, so if you can live without it's worth the wait.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se