• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Swedish Pension System

Questions on how it works?

John.Smith
post 28.Feb.2013, 11:58 AM
Post #16

I think that you will need to actually work out on paper the financials for them taking into consideration comparison of salaries and cost of living and pension etc...
Coming from the Uk they will get little or no government help here and if the husband does not have a job to walk into then they will be penniless...

How the hell did he rack up 450k in CSN loans for a distance course???
Go to the top of the page
+
John.Smith
post 28.Feb.2013, 12:05 PM
Post #17

Here is a thread started a few months ago with respect to combining pensions from other Eu countries etc,... may give some additional insight.

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...lator&st=15
+
Essingen
post 28.Feb.2013, 12:19 PM
Post #18

Can you please elaborate on what you wrote..Don't forget that in the UK, people on low incomes are almost taken out of tax with high levels of personal allowances ?

What are the high levels of personal allowances in the UK?

You will find the information here.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/personal-allow.htm
+
explore3788
post 28.Feb.2013, 12:32 PM
Post #19

Thank you all for your input, I will try to present all this to the couple.It is not just me that thinks that this would be financially unsound move at this point in their lives!!

John Smith, that was my question too. The Swedish husband (not a very wise man) must have taken out the CSN max allowed for overseas education. 45K sterling (approx 450K SEK) an online "dsitance" degree teaching degree, not even one from a recognised Swedish University!! I also suspect he used the CSN monies to finance their UK life. The wife gave the excuse that they are returning to Sweden to pay back the CSN debt, my answer to her was that you can pay your CSN debt anywhere in the world if you have bank transfer:-)
+
John.Smith
post 28.Feb.2013, 12:36 PM
Post #20

My wife paid hers (CSN) when we lived in the UK. They will send the invoice to where ever your registered address is in the world.

I think they would be very silly to make the move given their limited finances.
+
snarky
post 28.Feb.2013, 06:33 PM
Post #21

@Explore - sometimes you can only do so much for people and then you have to throw up your hands...cheers to you for trying though. smile.gif
+
Timbosaurus
post 23.Mar.2013, 08:56 PM
Post #22

If they decided to move to Sweden, they could keep paying their British NI stamps from there, which would allow them the new guaranteed minimum state pension of £144/wk each upon reaching statutory retirement age. You only need 30 years to get this, rather than the 40 in Sweden. You can get a statement of how many years 'stamps' you already have online.

More info here: https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insur...y-contributions

The rates are extremely low. Currently £2.62 per week for voluntary overseas contributions.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description