• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Pop unders, can you get rid of them?

They are annoying

philios33
post 8.Jan.2013, 03:10 PM
Post #1

Hi

This started happening about a month ago. Whenever I visit thelocal.se and make my first click, a "pop-under" advert pops up. I dont know if this is due to some other advert on your website or some spyware, but I think someone needs to investigate it. It seems I am the first to complain about this on here since there are no similar threads, so I will create this one.

If it is a legitimate advert then there is no reason for it to pop under (otherwise how can people see the ad)?

These pop-unders are naturally intrusive (popping up when we didn't ask for them), and also evasive (trying to stay out of sight). While I don't think it's causing much harm other than the annoyance of seeing it when I close my browser, I would like to point out that they do have a bad reputation and are a sign of a "virus riden" or "popup haven" website.

Was basically wondering:
1. Whether you knew about them?
2. Whether you are going to get rid of them?

Thanks

Phil
Go to the top of the page
+
Kn33grow
post 8.Jan.2013, 04:26 PM
Post #2

Just install adblock plus (just 3 clicks) and you can forget about pop ups

http://adblockplus.org/en/
+
Commie
post 8.Jan.2013, 06:16 PM
Post #3

Just install adblock plus (just 3 clicks) and you can forget about pop ups

What if he is using that evil browser from Microsoft, I forgot it's name? Also popups is a very irritating way to advertise, shame on The Local living in the 90s.
+
philios33
post 9.Jan.2013, 12:27 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Commie @ 8.Jan.2013, 06:16 PM) *
What if he is using that evil browser from Microsoft, I forgot it's name?

I think it's called Interweb Exploder. But luckily I'm using Firefox.

Have installed adblock plus and I'm actually quite amazed at how well it works. No config and popunders are stopped. Thanks guys. Would just like to see browsers native code blocking pop-unders now, but maybe i'm dreaming.
+
Kn33grow
post 9.Jan.2013, 05:01 PM
Post #5

Glad adblock has been of use in solving your problem.

QUOTE (Commie @ 8.Jan.2013, 05:16 PM) *
What if he is using that evil browser from Microsoft,(...)

I dont use that browser so can not be of much help but try this http://bit.ly/XNcgFs

P.s : Remember you can always disable adblock for sites that you support and dont mind their adverts.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN