• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

100sek fee standard for prescription?

Veterinarian charges

olga118
post 23.Nov.2012, 04:54 PM
Post #1

For the first time since I moved to Sweden I had to bring my dog to the veterinarian for a (semi) emergency visit. It is standard in my country of origin to pay extra for an unscheduled appt.. I expected that and am thankful that they could fit her in. What I didn't expect was a 100sek charge, per slip of paper, for simply writing a prescription. It is just a computer printed, small slip of paper signed by the veterinarian to bring to Apoteket. Is this standard procedure in Sweden and, if so, why?
Go to the top of the page
+
Hisingen
post 24.Nov.2012, 02:03 AM
Post #2

You should take out animal insurance, since although even that can be expensive, vets are even more so. It costs as much, if not more to have a sick animal than to be a sick human. Be warned! !
+
Aussie Sven
post 24.Nov.2012, 09:40 AM
Post #3

I pay 80sek for prescription. Sounds about standard. Not right, but standard. My vet also dosen't have prices on food. I've now bought the same type of food 3 times for 3 different prices!
+
Puffin
post 24.Nov.2012, 12:31 PM
Post #4

Vets are private businesses so there is no such thing as a "standard charge" - some charge larger consultation fees that include certain things whereas others charge a lower initial fee and then charge for each "service"

Many vets do charge for prescriptions though- I have heard of people being charged between approx 80 and 120kr - so 100kr would seem about average

But getting pet insurance woul be sensible (our cat that we found starving in the garden had urinary crystals and the consultation, tests, procedures, prescriptions would have cost over 6000kr without the insurance)
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 24.Nov.2012, 01:46 PM
Post #5

Our vet charges 450:- per visit plus any tests or medicines they dish out. No charge for writing a prescription. This is the first I've heard of such practices.
+
olga118
post 25.Nov.2012, 03:39 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the responses. Regarding pet insurance: While I know it's a good idea, my dog is 13 years old and I'm not sure anyone will cover her. Veterinarian care in the USA isn't cheap but I was surprised by the charge for simply writing a prescription because that doesn't seem like a "service" to me and, because I come from a state that has not taxes, the tax also caught me unaware. Puffin, if you could give me the contact info. of your pet insurance carrier I would appreciate it. Again, thanks everyone.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options