• Sweden edition
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Highschool teaching requirements.

Question about legal requirements for teaching.

post 13.Jan.2013, 09:04 PM
Post #1
Joined: 19.Apr.2011

Hello everyone, sorry if this has been asked before, but the little information I found either didn't completely apply to me or was very outdated.

I am interested in becoming a highschool teacher in Sweden. I am a foreigner from within the EU, and already have a personnummer. My education is a bachelor in Mathematics from my homecountry and a Master in Mathematics from a Swedish university here. Now, in my country I would be legally allowed to teach in a highschool, but some people told me, it's not the case in Sweden and that I need some specific courses in education, and some semesters of actually teaching in a school as a short of internship or something. I don't have these, and I am definitely not interested in getting a second 3-5 years bachelor in education just for that. Maybe, it's possible to take only specific Pedagogic courses or something?

Does anyone know what are exactly the requirements for becoming a highschool teacher in Sweden? Or where I can find more information about it?

Thanks a lot!
Go to the top of the page
post 13.Jan.2013, 10:00 PM
Post #2
Location: Stockholm county
Joined: 17.Jan.2011

and a visit to HSV for your degree's evaluation
Go to the top of the page
post 13.Jan.2013, 10:42 PM
Post #3
Joined: 27.Jul.2007

To get the skills you need to be qualified to teach in your subjects, you must complement your degree with courses within the pedagogical and didactic area (check link below). Moreover, you need to have sufficient proficiency in the Swedish language.

Go to the top of the page
post 14.Jan.2013, 11:47 PM
Post #4
Location: Dalarna
Joined: 5.Apr.2006

You can check out the requirements needed to become a registered teacher on Skolverkets website

Basically you need
- the correct number of uni points in your teaching subjects - the norm in Sweden is that most teachers teach more than 1 subject
- you need a certificate of fluency in Swedish such as Svenska 3 or TISUS
- 90p university points in pedadogics
Go to the top of the page
post 14.Jan.2013, 11:51 PM
Post #5
Location: Dalarna
Joined: 5.Apr.2006

QUOTE (Vstrommer71 @ 13.Jan.2013, 10:00 PM) *
a visit to HSV for your degree's evaluation

HSV no longer exists - it has now been replaced by Universitets- och högskolerådet.
Go to the top of the page
post 14.Jan.2013, 11:56 PM
Post #6
Joined: 19.Apr.2011

Great, thanks a lot!
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply