• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Work Permit / Part Time

Help me!!!

eporczak
post 12.Apr.2015, 01:43 AM
Post #1

I have been to Sweden, have a lot of Swedish friends and I am absolutely in love with Sweden. I want to live abroad a year (at least) in Sweden (Gothenburg) without going to school. I have a friend who lives in Sweden who would have an apartment with me in Gothenburg.
The problem now is figuring out my work permit..
I am in college now and I don't have a career type job to apply for. Is it possible for me to get a work permit for a part time job? Would I need to have connections in Sweden to do this? Can I apply for part time jobs while I am in Sweden and then apply for the permit? I live in California as of now.

Thanks in advance rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
iamaho
post 12.Apr.2015, 02:48 AM
Post #2

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...w-to-apply.html

How to apply for a work permit

The main rule is that you should apply for and have been granted a work permit before entering Sweden. When applying online you are given clear instructions about how to fill in your application and what you should send with the application. This makes it easier for you to apply correctly and increases your chances of a quick decision.

1. To obtain a work permit you need to have an offer to work in Sweden. Your employer must have advertised the position in Sweden and within EU/EEA and Switzerland for at least 10 working days before you were employed.

2. Your employer in Sweden initiates the work permit application by completing an offer of employment. Your employer needs information about your name, date of birth, citizenship, education and your e-mail address.
It is important that you have access to the e-mail address you give your employer until you have received a decision regarding your application. The Swedish Migration Agency will use this e-mail address to communicate with you throughout the application period.

3. When your employer has complete an offer of employment you will receive an e-mail with information about how to apply for a work permit.
In the application you provide information about yourself. If your family is coming with you to Sweden you apply for permits for them at the same time. You should also check that the information about your employment terms in the offer of employment corresponds with what you and your employer have agreed on.
+
passport-stamps
post 12.Apr.2015, 10:33 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (eporczak @ 12.Apr.2015, 12:43 AM) *
I have been to Sweden, have a lot of Swedish friends and I am absolutely in love with Sweden. I want to live abroad a year (at least) in Sweden (Gothenburg) without going to s ... (show full quote)

First question: the American "part time jobs" system does not exist in Sweden. Getting a job, part time or not, in Sweden is like winning a lottery.

Second question: an EMPHATIC YES!!!!!

Talk to your friends and see if they have any connections that could be beneficial to you.

Good luck --- you'll need it.
+
LLHope
post 13.Apr.2015, 07:43 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (passport-stamps @ 12.Apr.2015, 10:33 PM) *
First question: the American "part time jobs" system does not exist in Sweden.
And what is so different about part-time jobs (Deltidsarbete) in America compared to part-time jobs in Sweden? In Sweden it is very common in certain industries to employ part-timers. Many shops do! It is quite common to split parental leave and part-time work, you can even be part-time employed and the rest of the working week being classed as unemployed seeking work.

The main conditions for a work permit are that you have an offer of employment (note: an offer, it does not have to be a signed contract of employment), and that the salary to be paid is a minimum of 13.000:-/m (this figure from Migrationsverket is based upon the lowest pay found across all trade-union collective agreements).

If you can get offers for multiple part-time jobs then at least one of those must meet the above main requirement, you cannot total multiple salaries to reach 13.000:-/m.

+
eporczak
post 14.Apr.2015, 01:11 AM
Post #5

Thank you all!!!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se