• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Sky TV in Sweden, Nykopping

What size dish do I need to watch Sky tv in Sweden

voggy
post 19.Feb.2013, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice/confirmation as getting conflicting information on other forums? I will be moving over to Sweden, Nykopping in the next couple of months and want to bring over my Sky subscription/card and Sky HD + box with me, which I know is not a problem! However my issue is the size of dish I will need as I do not want to purchase the wrong size dish if its not going to work or keeps dropping the signal every 5 mins. As mentioned I am going to be moving near Nykopping and was hoping someone with experiencen of this and the new satellite signal changes could advise me. I know that I could also stream the sky subscriptions packages via a UK hosting company, however I think the buffering and quality issues would drive me up the wall? plus these companies are quite expensive for what in essence is just a glorified sling-box?

Any help would be appreciated as it will drive me up the wall if I only have Swedish TV to watch? No disrespect meant to Swedish tv but even my wife who is Swedish prefers UK tv.

Thanks for your help guys
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 19.Feb.2013, 05:48 PM
Post #2

With the change over to Astra 2f, you will most probably need at least a 150cm dish and more likely 180cm.
I get Astra 1n with a 120cm dish but free sat channel 5 which has moved to 2f I can not get after dark and I am 100km south west of Nykoping. There have been reception reports from people receiving Astra 2f with a 150cm dish in Norkoping which is 50 km south of Nykoping. With Astra 2d and 1n there was a side lobe from Stockholm down about 300km that allowed good reception with a smaller dish. Astra 2f has a much tighter footprint aimed at the UK which means a larger dish. In the spring when all the channels move to 2f I am faced with the expense of upgrading to a 159cm dish. To make sure you can get a good reliable signal, you should go for 180cm.
+
Beef
post 19.Feb.2013, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Hi, I think you maybe struggling with Astra 2F. You're not so far from Stockholm and we are basically in blackout regarding 2F without a monster dish.

Even the 2F pan european beam maybe an issue. Check out the Sweden section on the astra2 forum.

But for now you can get with a 80cm dish all the channels on 2A/2B/Eurobird so basically all the Sky channels + CH5 HD, E4 HD, ITV2-ITV4 HD. With a larger dish the rest except the 5 suite.

Better than nothing? Maybe/maybe not... There are up and coming IPTV STB options but are a bit costly at present.. Internet speeds are good in Sweden so I'd hazard a guess that this will be the way to go in the not too distant future.. Good luck and welcome to Sweden!
+
beefbroff
post 19.Feb.2013, 08:02 PM
Post #4

How much does a 180cm cost?
+
beefbroff
post 19.Feb.2013, 08:13 PM
Post #5

http://www.satpro.se/detailes/detailes.asp?art_nr=98765

Just did some searching. Here they are going for 10000 SEK. Arrggghh!
+
voggy
post 20.Feb.2013, 04:17 PM
Post #6

Thanks guys for your replys, seems that the Astra 2F is a real nightmare. I might look at a 2.4m dish but where we live etc will depend, however with that size dish I may be getting signals from another world never mind Sky!!!!
+
Rick Methven
post 20.Feb.2013, 05:08 PM
Post #7

You will need to locate the dish in the garden if it is that size and must have a southern aspect. You will also have a problem with snow in the winter. From the reception reports, I am sure that 180 cm will do the job cheaper and that can be wall mounted. My 120 cm dish is mounted on the chimney which is the Max size if you want to avoid loosing your chimney in a gale
+
Micardo
post 20.Feb.2013, 05:27 PM
Post #8

I am on the north side of Jönköping with a 120. No problems with most channels in clear weather, but the fringe ones disapear in havy snow or rain. When the wind is from the south and its snowing it clogs up the dish and I have to clear it.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se