• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Swedish wrath over 'naked shocker' advert

The Local
post 4.Jan.2013, 05:21 PM
Post #1

A Christmas advert in which naked staff members proclaim "I only need my mobile!" has set off an avalanche of sexism complaints against a Swedish mobile payments company.

"I only need my mobile!" naked staff profess in a Christmas advert that set of an avalanche of sexism complaints about the company Seamless to Sweden's Advertising Ombudsman (Reklamombudsmannen, RO).

In December 2012, a third of all complaints sent in to Sweden's Advertising Ombudsman (Reklamombudsmannen, RO) concerned the advertisements from e-money firm Seamless.

The full page ads appeared in the Aftonbladet tabloid in the run up to Christmas.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
johan rebel
post 4.Jan.2013, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Of course it is discriminatory to women, 'cause most don¨t have what it takes to pose naked. That no doubt includes 100% of the complainants. They probably don't even have a sex liife, which leaves the with plenty of time to whinge, whine and complain about non-issues like this one. They are also playing directly into the hands of the advertiser, who is getting a lot of free publicity.
+
newsjerseyballs
post 4.Jan.2013, 10:17 PM
Post #3

First of all, it ain't sexist and anyone who takes these morons seriously needs some sense beaten into them. Second, I watched Family Guy tonight. Its filthy, its hysterical and its on TV every night for several hours. So what's the point of this ombudsman? Sounds like some panty waist who needs a proctologist more than a government paycheck. I'm starting a company myself and if this advertising has these people crazy I'll have them jumping off buildings with what I've got in my drawers. Pure raunch and I'll be laughing all the way to the bank with the free publicity. I got your sexism....right heeeeeay.
+
krrodman
post 5.Jan.2013, 02:03 PM
Post #4

If the purpose of an advertisement is to bring attention to the product, then this is an extraordinarily successful advertising campaign.
Bravo!!!
+
Voiceout
post 5.Jan.2013, 04:09 PM
Post #5

Nude photos of women brings vulnerability of women's safety in sweden. Already there are alarming news about the sexual harrassment that some women citizens face. Moreover , there are ethics and culture in a company. Nudity is not a favourable decent culture except it is vulgar. Why should the company opt for a vulgar advertisement to endorse the goodness of its product. If the product is really good , it gets good sale . Captivating customers by its shocking nude advertisements shows the cheap work culture of this company.
+
Mxzf
post 5.Jan.2013, 04:46 PM
Post #6

Since the campaign also contains "naked" (nothing is actually showing, as usual) men, I doubt it can be considered discriminating. Except if the men showed nipples and the girls didn't, I suppose (but then, in which direction?).
+
rramirez
post 5.Jan.2013, 09:05 PM
Post #7

The "third of all complaints" could reflect four of twelve complaints for all we know, with the ombudsman using distorted statistics to deceptively justify its own existence. Let's be honest, there is no general "wrath" in response to this ad.
This advertising ombudsman is completely obsolete and pointless. In a world so full of messages via so many media, the idea of focusing on traditional media and further the advertising within that traditional media ignores 99% of everything going on. All this ombudsman does is give free publicity to anyone that the ombudsman goes after. As advertisers seek publicity, the ombudsman is actually encouraging the precise behavior it is trying to discourage. It should be done away with for the sake of those it is trying to protect in order to prevent people like #2 from using this silly position as a means of generating free publicity.
+
Eric1
post 5.Jan.2013, 11:57 PM
Post #8

So funny to read how Swedes think Americans are so prudish. Then they are shocked with these so called nude advertisement. Shockingly funny.
+
EP
post 7.Jan.2013, 08:56 AM
Post #9

The Swedes are so prudish and boring. In most other western countries no one would bat an eye at this. Go after something that matters not a crappy advert.
+
fikatid
post 7.Jan.2013, 10:14 AM
Post #10

They are making a mountain out of a molehill. Oh please, don't they like to complain. To make it even, they can have both semi-naked women and men in the ad then.
+
zat_xela
post 7.Jan.2013, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Excellent. I'm sure these women were not forced to do this ad. For an in-house campaign to get international attention like this...well done! No such thing as bad publicity.
+
Nvd
post 7.Jan.2013, 06:14 PM
Post #12

I am happy that they got the publicity. Yay.
+
wxman
post 8.Jan.2013, 06:49 PM
Post #13

They are all beautiful normal women, with all the normal differences that will never allow them to be high priced models. Yet, they are the natural beauties we are surrounded with in our every day lives. We are fortunate to see them in these photos being natural, beautiful everyday women looking outstandingly seductive.
+
Michael A. Lowry
post 12.Jan.2013, 02:21 PM
Post #14

What interests me is how quick people are to insist that their objections are not about the nakedness per se, but about the way in which nakedness is used to objectify women. Oddly, they do not complain about similar ads involving men. Nor do they realize that they are contributing to an atmosphere of sensationalism that they themselves often acknowledge is harmful.
More of my thoughts on this can be found on my blog:
http://blog.michael-lowry.com/2013/01/swedish-panic-over-nakedness-in.html
+
Johannesson
post 20.Jan.2013, 09:41 PM
Post #15

I dislike this not because of sexism, but because it is un-Swedish. The soul of Swedish people is lagom; it is to be appropriate, use discretion, and not cause a stir. This advert was deliberately controversial and thus contrary to our cultural identity.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com