• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Will any UK 4G phone work on Swedish 4G networks?

Or should I just buy 4G phone in Sweden?

beejay73
post 12.Dec.2013, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Is there anyone out there that understands the maze of different 4G frequencies in UK and Sweden and can clarify whether any UK 4G mobile will work on the Swedish 4G networks?

I am moving to Sweden next week to Jonkoping and am thinking of selling my current mobile and buying a second hand 4G mobile off eBay as its cheaper than getting a new one as part of a deal in Sweden.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Gordy
post 12.Dec.2013, 11:38 AM
Post #2

What model phone have you got?
+
Snood
post 12.Dec.2013, 11:50 AM
Post #3

For almost all models, yes.
+
beejay73
post 12.Dec.2013, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Thanks for responses. I currently own a Google Nexus 4 which is not 4G. I am hoping to buy a secondhand LG G2 or HTC One.
+
beejay73
post 12.Dec.2013, 01:28 PM
Post #5

Thanks for responses. I currently own a Google Nexus 4 which is not 4G. I am hoping to buy a secondhand LG G2 or HTC One.
+
Snood
post 13.Dec.2013, 12:24 AM
Post #6

I can confirm 100% that the HTC One from the UK works on 4G in Sweden as I bought my One in the UK, it was around 1000 sek cheaper to do so!

A quick look at the specs for the LG G2 and Sweden's LTE frequencies it looks like that's just fine too.
+
Gordy
post 13.Dec.2013, 08:06 AM
Post #7

@Snood What's the battery life like with 4G switched on?

I've seen a lot of comments in general saying that 4G really eats the battery and so many user just have the phone set to 3G instead.
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Dec.2013, 08:44 AM
Post #8

I have a Nokia lumia920 and see no difference in battery life between 3G and 4G. The biggested battery drain is from location functions using GPS.
+
Snood
post 13.Dec.2013, 09:25 AM
Post #9

My experience is just like Rick. I used the phone in 3G only for a few months before I changed my contract to one which gave me 4G. I have not noticed any appreciable difference in battery life since starting to use 4G
+
Gordy
post 13.Dec.2013, 03:06 PM
Post #10

Thanks for that, I've had a Windows Phone for the last 2 and a half years and have been very happy with the operating system, very smooth and easy to use, but I have become exasperated at the lack of apps available by companies who only seem to be focused on releasing for iOS and Android.

Just bought a Motorola Moto G for 1400kr to see if I can live with Android but it is 3G only, probably doesn't make a huge deal of difference except when tethering which i don't do a lot these days but if I go back to WP I will go 4G.
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Dec.2013, 06:19 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Gordy @ 13.Dec.2013, 03:06 PM) *
Thanks for that, I've had a Windows Phone for the last 2 and a half years and have been very happy with the operating system, very smooth and easy to use, but I have becom ... (show full quote)

I find my windows phone 8 perfect for every day use with outlook.com and office 365.The OS is good and solid. If you want a load of games and flash apps then Android is better. I get around that problem with a Nexus 7 tablet which gives me a good phone for business use and a very good tablet for personal use.
+
Gordy
post 14.Dec.2013, 10:09 AM
Post #12

Its not games I'm talking about but companies who develop apps to support their own products or services very few include a WP app (although Verisure have just added one for their alarms)

For example I have breakdown assistance with SBM (cheaper and more comprehensive service than Falck) they have an app so if you need help it sends them your exact location, no messing around trying to explain where you are. But only available for iOs or Android.

Also just bought a new Pioneer surround sound amp and the remote is brutal with a mass of tiny buttons. All the reviews recommend using Pioneer's app which has all the controls but structured in a much simpler to use format, but again only available for iOs or Android.

+
Hallander
post 14.Dec.2013, 10:49 AM
Post #13

I really wanted to continue my loyalty to Nokia with a Windows phone (and to have maps stored on the phone) but having played with a cheap Android phone and sampled the apps available, decided the limited choice of apps on Windows clinched it. Apps are not always so special, on my Nokia I bookmarked all the mobile web sites I could find which sometimes gave as much as apps, vitally including BA, SAS.

I now look at my recently acquired Samsung where I have 45 apps downloaded, and compare that to the meagre offerings on Nokia. Some I might rarely use, but the finance, news and travel stuff make life a lot easier. Nokia blew it badly when they rewrote their Symbian system requiring you to layout your phone screens from scratch, not once but twice. The last Sybian was very much like a simpler Android complete with the pulldown for connections and notifications. But downloaded maps do not make up for fewer apps.

Interested to hear what you say about 4g. But some pricing plans seem rip offs. I don't want to watch films on a phone. Tablets where almost all need wifi did not appeal.

ps Thats my UK phone. I carry a Nokia 500 as my Swedish payg phone, a cracking little pocket device.
+
Rick Methven
post 15.Dec.2013, 12:10 PM
Post #14

There seems to be a big differnce in 3G/4G pricing between Sweden/UK.
In the UK you have to pay a premium for 4G whereas when I got a 4G phone and needed a new micro sim, tele2 sent me a 4G sim and my contract price is still the same biggrin.gif
+
AW1
post 15.Dec.2013, 02:17 PM
Post #15

I would suggest the Nexus 5 if you're going down the Android route. Buy it from the Play store and you'll save yourself a decent amount of cash. And it comes unlocked, which in my eyes is a plus if you travel.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com