• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Getting married in Sweden

What should I know?

Opalnera
post 25.Jan.2013, 11:22 PM
Post #1

So we are getting married this year, no big deal just a quickie ceremony at stadshuset (yes it's booked) and a tent party afterwards for about 60 people.

I've never been to a wedding here so I'm not sure if there's anything really out of the ordinary that I should know or be prepared for. So really what I am looking for is general observations about past experiences either having your own or being a guest at a wedding.

One major question that I have is about changing names. My fiance has a stupidly long name and double barrel surname and we are going to put him on a name diet and get rid of one of the surnames and 2 of his middle names. Should he do it before or after the ceremony? When is the best time?
Go to the top of the page
+
jonko
post 26.Jan.2013, 12:07 AM
Post #2

hahaha. That was hilarious!
Well, I warn you. Swedish people get totally waisted in weddings.
And someone will bring a CD with Europe's Greatest Hits. Put someone to guard the stereo.
+
Opalnera
post 26.Jan.2013, 12:22 AM
Post #3

Ah no problem, got 15 alcoholic Aussies flying in, they'll be in good company.

Excellent that will go with the karaoke machine nicely.
+
Beavis
post 26.Jan.2013, 12:24 AM
Post #4

make sure the two witnesses signing are Swedish, otherwise its very messywe had to change the witnesses on the day without knowing this, wasnt a big deal , but migh tbe for some.You can change your name to whatever you want, so long as its not on the list of banned names.And put some contol over speeches, best to have a friend be a "taostmaster" as its not the standard parents and bestman,bridemaides that can speak, its a free for all!
+
Ethical_
post 26.Jan.2013, 08:12 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Opalnera @ 25.Jan.2013, 10:22 PM) *
So we are getting married this year, no big deal just a quickie ceremony at stadshuset ...

From the comments it sounds like you're an Aussi guy marrying a Swede. No doubt you got one of the good ones. But what's your picture of Swedish women in general? Are many of them as feminist as some Swedish men say? Weigh in as men all over the world discuss the issue at The-Spearhead.com: "Scandinavian Men Leaving Feminists to Themselves"
+
Migga
post 26.Jan.2013, 08:33 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Ethical_ @ 26.Jan.2013, 08:12 PM) *
From the comments it sounds like you're an Aussi guy marrying a Swede.

Really? It sounds like the original poster is a woman;
QUOTE (Opalnera @ 25.Jan.2013, 11:22 PM) *
My fiance has a stupidly long name and double barrel surname and we are going to put him on a name diet and get rid of one of the surnames and 2 of his middle names. Should he ... (show full quote)
+
Hisingen
post 27.Jan.2013, 12:20 AM
Post #7

A good divorce lawyer is also handy to know in this day and age. laugh.gif
+
Megalagom
post 27.Jan.2013, 11:17 AM
Post #8

Having gotten married in Sweden and seeing all the differences as I was planning it and then later as a guest at another Swedish wedding, I wrote a guide to Swedish weddings a few months ago that you might find useful: Swedish Wedding: “Svenskt Bröllop”

As for changing the names, you will be able to file for name changes right after the wedding. When I (a New Yorker) tried to change my name in Sweden however, they told me it was not possible as they don't have the power to do that from another country - so I changed it in New York a few months later when we got our marriage license in New York. Your Swedish guy should be able to do it right afterwards though, being able to change it to whatever.

Meg ~ Something Swedish ~
+
beefbroff
post 27.Jan.2013, 05:28 PM
Post #9

Don't do it!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com