• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Sambo Visa - Married to Someone Else

Married but Applying for Co-Habitation Visa

BaltimoreFlicka
post 17.Jan.2013, 04:52 PM
Post #1

Hej there,

I have applied for the Co-habitation Visa this week, after being in a relationship with my Swedish boyfriend for over 6 months. I believe we're able to show a serious commitment, as we have seen each other every 2 months for at least a week (different cities, countries) since June 2012. I should state that we met over 8 years ago - staying very close friends and now deciding to take it to the next level.

The issue is that I am currently, legally married to someone in America (my origin) but have separated in May 2012. In the state I live in, one has to be separated for 2 years before they can even apply for a divorce.

Anyone on here apply while married (but separated) and get approved? I have found some information that it is certainly more difficult to be approved, but not out of the question. Like I said, I think we've shown a serious commitment and I've done all I can do within my state at this point concerning my marriage.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Go to the top of the page
+
ATCinSwe
post 17.Jan.2013, 04:56 PM
Post #2

Yep. Pretty much same story here. Wasn't a problem at all. I'm American as well.
+
BaltimoreFlicka
post 17.Jan.2013, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Thanks ATC - it's really refreshing to hear positive remarks smile.gif
+
ATCinSwe
post 17.Jan.2013, 05:11 PM
Post #4

Assuming your from Baltimore, i grew up in Laurel.
+
BaltimoreFlicka
post 17.Jan.2013, 05:13 PM
Post #5

Yup, hoping to move to Malmö. Did you apply at the Washington D.C. embassy? When did you apply for your visa?
+
Case officer
post 17.Jan.2013, 06:36 PM
Post #6

A residence permit can be granted to you but you need show that you are in a process to be legally divorced.
+
BaltimoreFlicka
post 17.Jan.2013, 07:50 PM
Post #7

This is what I figured, but am having trouble figuring out what I could show. We aren't required to submit legal papers for a separation (so we didn't) and we split time living in our residence that we both own...Ugh.
+
ATCinSwe
post 17.Jan.2013, 09:27 PM
Post #8

Yeah, went to the D.C. embassy. I applied in October of 2011, but while I was waiting they started the online application process in December. Applied the first day and had my decision by mid January 2012. Been in Uppsala since February. As for having something showing the separation, I didn't have anything to show either. It wasn't a problem. Just prove that you are in a real and committed relationship.
+
Case officer
post 17.Jan.2013, 11:30 PM
Post #9

When you're interviewed at the embassy, you should be prepared to explain the divorce procedure of your state.
+
Pawtucket
post 28.Mar.2013, 02:27 PM
Post #10

Hej!

I am glade that Baltimoreflika posted this question. I actually emailed the Embassy in DC two weeks ago to ask about the same question. I was shocked when they said I could apply. I am very glad that they are more accepting of difference situations than other counties. I am in the same boat, getting a divorce in NOVA takes one year separation before you can even file for a divorce. After you file you still have to wait for a decision. I am going to try to apply online in May. My girlfriend and I have been back together for a number of months and we are going to see each other very soon. I will go over at the end of March to visit and look at job prospects. We have a very unique story I would share it but I want to wait until we write a book.

Baltimoreflika, did you apply on line or on paper? How is the process going for you? ATCINSWE, how was the transition from the US to living in Sweden? I spent a month in Sweden a long time ago but I understand things have changed over the years. How is the job market?

Thanks and hopefully my Visa application process goes well!

Pawtucket
+
BaltimoreFlicka
post 5.Apr.2013, 02:40 PM
Post #11

Hey Pawtucket!

Yes, sounds like we're in a very similar boat for sure, and I've already got the patent for that book wink.gif What part of Sweden are you moving to?

Everything has gone smoothly for me. I applied online on January 14th, was told I could set up my interview in DC about 2.5 weeks later. I interviewed on Feb. 20th and am now just waiting for the decision which they said could take another 2-3 months. I have been to Sweden to visit in the meantime. I know it's frowned upon, but there is no way they would know...especially since I fly into CPH. I could say that we met in Copenhagen for the visit smile.gif

I actually was just admitted for a Masters program at Lund for Autumn 2013, so if the Sambo Permit doesn't work out, I can now apply for the Study Permit as a back-up plan.

My advice to you for the interview is to bring some sort of proof of your separation. Being that we don't have children, we didn't file any paperwork for the separation because it's not necessary. In that case, they asked for proof of living at the two different addresses - BGE bill, bank statement, etc.

Best of luck to you! I'll keep you posted on my decision...
+
Yorkshireman
post 5.Apr.2013, 03:11 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (BaltimoreFlicka @ 5.Apr.2013, 02:40 PM) *
I interviewed on Feb. 20th and am now just waiting for the decision which they said could take another 2-3 months. I have been to Sweden to visit in the meantime. I know it ... (show full quote)

It is not frowned upon at-all. If you have a valid visa, or come from a country that does not require a visa if visiting for 90 days, it is perfectly acceptable to visit since it is legal entry. What is meant on the MV info is that if you make an application for a permit, the application is not an entry visa, and you must wait to travel until a positive decision is made.

QUOTE (BaltimoreFlicka @ 5.Apr.2013, 02:40 PM) *
I actually was just admitted for a Masters program at Lund for Autumn 2013, so if the Sambo Permit doesn't work out, I can now apply for the Study Permit as a back-up plan.

You are leaving it late to apply for a Student visa for a course starting in Autumn 2013 ... hope your sambo visa decision quickly, especially since to get the student visa you need to pay the course fees in advance etc...
and it takes time to process the application.
+
BaltimoreFlicka
post 5.Apr.2013, 08:36 PM
Post #13

Yes, the current wait time for the Student Visa is 2 months. I will have to pay fee's by May 15th so I'm holding my thumbs for a decision prior to that!
+
Yorkshireman
post 5.Apr.2013, 09:41 PM
Post #14

You cannot take the 2 months as said, it is approximate (right now!) ... they cannot approve a Student permit until the course fees have been paid, and may even need to double check with the bank with regards your living expenses that you must have. That can take time, and July will be a slow down in processing since it is vacation period in Sweden ...Asylum seekers don't take vacation, so you can bet there will also be a backlog to clear etc.. etc...
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com