• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Non-EU citizen exit and enter conditions

Custom control

perviz24
post 17.Dec.2012, 11:38 PM
Post #1

Hello everyone

I am non EU citizen.I have been living in Sweden more than 10 months, my current permission ends at the end of December, I have applied for extension and have got the letter (decision about extension) from migrationsverket. But I havent got my new residency card yet. So my question is if I travel out of EU and enter Sweden in January(after the current residency permit expires), can I use the decision paper as a prove of my residency permit for the next year on the border to the custom control officiers? And also Can I apply for personnummer with this piece of paper without waiting for the new residency permit card?

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 17.Dec.2012, 11:45 PM
Post #2

Your problem is not the border control it is whether the airline will let you travel. Airlines are not allowed to have travellers that do not have the right to enter the desitnation country, they are fined if it is found out. This is why the airline is responsible for checking the permit before allowing you to board, if they are unsure thye may refuse you boarding upon return.

So, Border Control can easily check and let You through, and would most likely accept the written decision, if not at the airport is a Migrationsverket unit that can confirm quickly the status.
+
olga118
post 18.Dec.2012, 03:49 AM
Post #3

I can only share my experience. My permit ended December 1st. I applied for my new permit but haven't yet received an answer. I left on vacation and re-entered Sweden Dec. 15 and there was no issue whatsoever. Good luck.
+
axiom
post 19.Dec.2012, 03:22 PM
Post #4

This is only an issue based on your nationality and destination:

A visa free national should be ok re-entering as they are permitted to enter and then obtain the biometric card

A visa national travelling outside the Schengen area might run into issues with the airline but perhaps be allowed to re-enter at Arlanda, etc

A visa/visa free national travelling inside the Schengen area would not usually encounter border control and thus in any case would be allowed back in, most airlines don't even check for the permit, self-check in print boarding pass and have fun in the sun biggrin.gif This amazed me once, I flew from Stockholm to Frankfurt to Budapest and back and never once showed an ID of any sorts just my boarding pass.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com