• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Thinking to go to the University in Sweden

I have some questions about this...

Edgar74
post 11.Jan.2013, 08:17 PM
Post #1

Hello guys

I'm new here and i would like to know if anyone can help me with some questions i have ...
I'm a 39 years old guy from the EU
Like 10 years ago or so i was living in USA and back then i have finnished High School ( Long Distance Program ) so that's the only education i have. Now i live here in Sweden and i would like to go to the University just to do a 6 months course, Programming course, over the past years i have developed myself into the Programming world and i have learned how to program in different languages but i need a certification from the University here so that's why i want to do this...

Now, what is my best bet ? Go to konvux first and get the right level to get accepted in the university here or what can i do ? I don't want to study a long career on Computer Science or anything like that i just want to do a few courses.

Many Thanks for your help !
Go to the top of the page
+
Kibiri
post 11.Jan.2013, 08:55 PM
Post #2

It is possible to take just one or two courses without being enrolled to a program, though you don't get a certificate at the end, a transcript showing your grades would be still useful for you, or not?

You can find CS courses given in English quite easily. They aim for the exchange students and foreign masters students. Usually the intro to programming level courses are in Swedish, but probably thats not what you want anyway.

Another thing is free online courses at coursera and udacity. Most/some courses give a pdf certificate, saying this person completed this course etc. Not as good as an official university certificate, but still you could show to a potential employer. Actually, I mention those because some of the courses are very good for learning.
+
Edgar74
post 11.Jan.2013, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Thanks Kibiri for your reply...

What i'm looking for is to go to the university get some courses done but get the certification from the University that's the whole point ...

As for the education online that is how i taugh myself over the past years but thanks anyway for pointing out to those sites ! smile.gif

Any advise on where to start ?
+
Kibiri
post 12.Jan.2013, 11:44 AM
Post #4

Well, I would start with universities nearby, whichever city you are in. Another resource is studera.nu
+
MarryAnn
post 12.Jan.2013, 01:59 PM
Post #5

Hello there.
My name is Anna and I'm 19 years old. I wanna study weterinary in Stockholm, I'm already a veterinary technician and I wanna be a doctor. But there's a problem - I only little speak swedish , every year I spend my hoolidays in Stockholm so I knew the city and I fall in love with it. I wanna find a job as veterinary technician without swedish language and start the studies. Can you tell me what should I do ? what are the procedures? Oh, and I'm from Polnad. Please give me some answer.
+
Puffin
post 12.Jan.2013, 03:49 PM
Post #6

Some vetinary technician/nursing work requires you to register and obtain a licence with the Swedish Board of Agriculture - you may need to take exams to prove your knowledge - so best to check with them what the requirements are.
http://www.jordbruksverket.se/swedishboard...e680003645.html
It will be very difficult to find work without being fluent in Swedish as you will need to keep records in Swedish

I don't know if you know but it is very difficult to get into University to train as a vet - basically you will need perfect high school grades and fluency in Swedish (Svensk 3 or TISUS test) - usually there are so many people who apply with perfect grades that they do a lottery among these applicants so even perfect grades does not guarantee a place on the course - you have a long road ahead of you as the average time to learn Swedish to University level is 1-3 years
+
Puffin
post 12.Jan.2013, 04:00 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Edgar74 @ 11.Jan.2013, 08:17 PM) *
Hello guys I'm new here and i would like to know if anyone can help me with some questions i have ...I'm a 39 years old guy from the EU Like 10 years ago or so i was l ... (show full quote)

If you are talking about taking a Bachelor degree you may need to learn Swedish to go all of the way as only a few places run degrees entirely in English - although you may be lucky here as IT courses are more likely to be taught in English at bachelor level

A good idea would be to speak to a student advisor (studievägledare) in the department that you are interested in studying in as they can tell you more about the requirements and language rules - if you need to learn Swedish you can take Svenska up to gymnasiet (high school) level 3 at komvux (like a GED programme) or you can take the TISUS test in Swedish for University studies - held twice each year

You should also check out what high school courses are required for your course (särskild behörighet) for example do you need advanaced maths etc - if you dont have this you may need to to take komvux classes
https://www.antagning.se/sv/Ta-reda-pa-mer-...ild-behorighet/
https://www.antagning.se/sv/Det-har-galler-...-behover-du-ha/

As other posters have said - you may be able to get dispensation from the Swedish requirement if the courses are taught in English and you can opt to take freestanding courses (friståendekurser)
+
MarryAnn
post 12.Jan.2013, 04:16 PM
Post #8

Puffin- thanks for your reply. My diploma confirms my qualifications in whole europe. I think that I could learn swedish in year - of corse it is only my dream. but I'm gonna try. Can you recommend some language school? I'm planning to arrive to stockholm in May this year. laugh.gif I'm really scared. But this is my biggest dream , chances for new life.
+
Silberfüchschen
post 12.Jan.2013, 05:20 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (MarryAnn @ 12.Jan.2013, 01:59 PM) *
I wanna study weterinary in Stockholm,...

To my knowledge, the only place in Sweden where you can study veterinary medicine is at SLU in Uppsala, some 70 km north of Stockholm.
+
MarryAnn
post 12.Jan.2013, 06:42 PM
Post #10

Yeah I know. I was there last month but unfortunately veterinary there is given only in swedish, so I'm going to swedish language course , but I wanna find a job without swedish language or with the basic swedish , as veterinary technician. That's my point.
+
Puffin
post 12.Jan.2013, 10:06 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (MarryAnn @ 12.Jan.2013, 04:16 PM) *
Puffin- thanks for your reply. My diploma confirms my qualifications in whole europe.

Even if you have a diploma recognised in the entire EU you may still require a paper that says this in Swedish

What sort of EU residence card are you going to apply for
- if you are looking fore one on working grounds you will need a job offer in order to register - but this is unlikely without Swedish
- If you apply as a student you will need college acceptance, perhaps private health insurance and funds for living expenses in case you do not find a job
+
Puffin
post 12.Jan.2013, 10:11 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (MarryAnn @ 12.Jan.2013, 06:42 PM) *
Yeah I know. I was there last month but unfortunately veterinary there is given only in swedish, so I'm going to swedish language course , but I wanna find a job without s ... (show full quote)

You cannot study to be a vet without being fully fluent - expect this to take a couple of years full time study or more if you are working. Some universities offer intensiv full time courses

It is probably unrealistic to find work in vetinary medicine without Swedish as customer contacts, records, medical data etc would all be in Swedish - also you would be expected - for example - to know the Swedish law relating to animals
+
MarryAnn
post 13.Jan.2013, 12:49 PM
Post #13

Thanks for your advices. I'm a bit frightened now. Just one more question : Can I join to the SFI group in June? or should I wait until August when new term starts?
+
Puffin
post 13.Jan.2013, 07:13 PM
Post #14

You cannot study SFI at all without a residence card ie a job

there are university intensive courses - the deadline is february
http://www.studyinsweden.se/Learn-Swedish/...rses-in-Sweden/

you could always take distance courses prior to moving
http://www.studyinsweden.se/Learn-Swedish/Distance-learning/
+
MarryAnn
post 13.Jan.2013, 09:27 PM
Post #15

But I have a person number , I was working here legally , My dad is here since 2002 so why can't I go to the SFI?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com