• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Real Estate Agents Fees 2012

What are they approximately?

jackityjack
post 17.Jan.2012, 09:32 PM
Post #1

I am wondering what real estate agents currently charge in % for handling the sale of a bostadsrätt apartment?

Previous discussions on this topic seem to be quite old now and since the market has changed I wonder if people could weigh in with their knowledge.

Also, if anyone has recommendations of estate agents that go the extra mile for the seller these days I would be glad for any tips.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 17.Jan.2012, 10:47 PM
Post #2

Where abouts? There are some regional differences
+
post 17.Jan.2012, 11:10 PM
Post #3

i used this guy a few years ago and can't recommend him highly enough. he delivered what he promised and definitely went the extra mile with sincerity.

my only disclaimer is that he worked for another company when i used him. i reviewed and rejected erik olsson as an agency so i have mixed feelings about recommending him at his current agency. but feel him out.
+
jackityjack
post 17.Jan.2012, 11:16 PM
Post #4

@puffin - stockholm
@007 - thanks - out of interest why did you reject erik olsson?
+
BillyB
post 17.Jan.2012, 11:50 PM
Post #5

Im in Stockholm selling my apartment right now.

I checked with a few estate agents and the percentage rate they charge depends on the value of the property and what type it is.

For an apartment something in the region of 1.6m kr the average i found was around 2.5 - 2.75% of the final selling price, and of course you only pay it if its sold.
+
Puffin
post 18.Jan.2012, 12:41 AM
Post #6

Erik Olsson have been caught up in some scandals - such as the great Östermalm apartment scandal where the woman had agreed to sell/rent the same apartment to around 15 different groups of people including a family who had paid Erik Olssons agent 515,000kr in deposit which instead of safeguarding the agent had allowed the fraudster to collect the money and do a runner to Norway with over a million
http://www.dn.se/sthlm/halv-miljon-gick-up...aren-backade-ur
+
post 18.Jan.2012, 02:25 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (jackityjack @ 17.Jan.2012, 11:16 PM) *
@007 - thanks - out of interest why did you reject erik olsson?

in general their commission fees were much higher (percentage-wise) and the best they could motivate for the higher % was that they were better without giving me anything tangible.

i say check the guy out because of his very straight-forward approach. he'll give you the honest answers even if make him or his company sound bad.

he contacted me a year after we used him to point out that our old flat was on the market again. he didn't have to, but it falls in line with his very professional way of working (he's keeping his contact list live.)

and then when he changed companies he sent me his new contact details. i asked him why he changed companies and he gave me a very matter-of-fact low down on why and it made sense. i expressed my general dislike for erik olsson and his reply was a very low-key "fair enough" which earned him credibility in my opinion.

so i don't know if i would use him at erik olsson again if i were selling, but he'd be my first call and i'd hear him out. and if he and i came to an agreement that i liked i wouldn't hesitate for a second because i am confident he'll keep his word and do his best.

QUOTE (BillyB @ 17.Jan.2012, 11:50 PM) *
I checked with a few estate agents and the percentage rate they charge depends on the value of the property and what type it is. For an apartment something in the region of 1. ... (show full quote)

you're obviously much "fresher" in the game so you have a better feel of the pulse, but that was about the range that was around when i sold a few years ago. because nearly any standard BR inomtullarna is a "sell itself" you can very easily negotiate down and add in other perks (i insisted on flyttstädning)

pick the agent(s) you trust most and throw a "low ball" deal at them saying you want to use them, but since you've got an offer from another agent for less you have to consider the price difference.

my second choice (södermäklarna) showed their true colors when i thanked them but said i was going to try my first choice (see above). my message was that if for any reason i changed my mind, i would be back in touch with them. instead they got pissy and tried to insult me by implying i was stingy to want to decide on money. after a few emails back and forth i made it clear that a professional demeanor was and will always be my first criteria and they had now demonstrated that they were clearly not professional enough. i also pointed out that a WISE professional would have said "thank you for considering us. don't hesitate to use us in future" instead of starting a sand-throwing piss-off match with me (there were several emails.)

edit: this just prompted me to find and read through the thread of emails. i'll post them below.
+
post 18.Jan.2012, 02:44 PM
Post #8

me: One last question to finalize our decision. Just to be clear, your offer included measuring the flat and a stylist consultancy? Also, what happens if during the weekend we show, the bids fall far below what seems reasonable?

södermäkarna:Mitt erbjudande innehåller inga tilläggstjänster, tyvärr. 1,7% inkluderar arbetet inkl annonseringen. Att mäta lägenheten kostar ca 2000 och konsultation runt 3000.
Om man inte säljer lägenheten vid första försök eller inte får bra bud så gör man helt enkelt ett nytt försök. Vi debiterar för ett arvode oavsett hur många gånger vi måste visa eller annonsera.
(summary in english: nothing else added in which would cost 2-5 thousand. and we'd show as many times for the same fee.)

me:Thank you for your email and your time. I've decided to accept another agency's offer. As feedback I should say that I would have been very happy to have worked with you. I found you very kind and professional. Should anyone ask me for recommendations of agents to contact, I will be happy to refer you.

södermäklarna:Hej,Tack för Dina ord. Men tydligen var jag inte tillräckligt intressant… (thanks for your sentiment. but apparently i wasn't interesting enough.)

me:Best way to put it is that you weren't as hungry. That's not always a bad thing, but in this case it made the difference.

södermäklarna:OK. Nej, jag är nog inte tillräckligt hungrig för att bara pruta på provisionen, om du menar det. Lycka till med försäljningen. (ok. no, i'm not hungry enough to just haggle over the commission, if that's what you mean)

me: Dear Ms. Salmi,

You're right, it's also about customer care, contact and attitude. Seeing your snide response(s) to a rather thankful and positive reply/decline I feel more certain I made the right decision.

I apologize for taking your time and I won't trouble you further by referring your services to others. I will also assure another mum and neighbor who had recommended Södermäklarna (though chose another agent) that she too had made the right choice.

On a positive note, this will make for a good story to chat about with other parents at the cafe and in the park.

Yours sincerely,

i also cc'd the head of the agency. i never heard from them again. seems her boss understood when to shut her the f. up.
+
jackityjack
post 19.Jan.2012, 07:20 PM
Post #9

@007 @Puffin

Thanks for the info. Before you had replied I had already registered my contact info through Erik Olsson's webpage.

A secretary called back the next day to get my details (size of apartment, etc) and said someone would be in touch soon, but it's been some days and nothing...

Seems they are not hungry enough for the business.

I looked up slutpriser.se and saw that scandiamäklaren had achieved the best prices on apartments in my area. The agent phoned back immediately and seems so eager for the business (and friendly) that I think it is a much better option. Of course we haven't talked fees yet. Does anyone have any feedback about scandiamäklaren?
+
post 19.Jan.2012, 07:33 PM
Post #10

contact that agent i listed directly. he's definitely worth speaking to. or if you want to, send me a pm or an email to 007local[at] gmail.com and i'll send an intro email to him and cc you.
+
hongkongdanchang
post 19.Jan.2012, 10:19 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (7 @ 17.Jan.2012, 11:10 PM) *
i used this guy a few years ago and can't recommend him highly enough. . so i have mixed feelings about recommending him at his current agency. but feel him out.

PLEASE do not make yourself foolish on the advice of 007. She is proven to be useless about finances. laugh.gif

Very determined to recommend someone though. Sounds like a few dollars in it for her!
+
anjali sanga
post 20.Feb.2013, 02:41 PM
Post #12

I just got a quote from an agent from ESNY to sell a one bedroom studio in Ostermalm...she wanted 3%, is that the going rate now? I thought it a bit high, any recommendations for the a good agent for the sale?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com