• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Driving license question

Swedish or international license?

sticky43
post 18.Feb.2013, 01:42 PM
Post #1

i am currently studying to be an electrician in sweden and will like to get a job soon afterwards. unfortunatly nearly every company requires a drivers license. i have lived in sweden over 4 years and a USA drivers license is not valid after one year. i would like to avoid the costs of acquiring a swedish license since the cost would be up around 10,000 to 15,000 SEK compared to the international drivers license of 300 SEK. the international drivers license would simply be a translation of my current USA license and thus making it just as ineffective or...?
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 18.Feb.2013, 02:24 PM
Post #2

An international drivers license is absolutely useless and is just a transaction of your current U.S. license. You must get a Swedish one and with luck perhaps 6000sek.
+
ed.l.harris
post 18.Feb.2013, 03:17 PM
Post #3

I am also from the USA and am nearing my 1 year anniversary for the drivers license. I have driven quite a bit this past year here in Sweden so I understand the traffic laws pretty well.

I am wondering what is the quickest, least expensive, also least aggravating way to get a Swedish license?

What are the steps?
+
John.Smith
post 18.Feb.2013, 03:37 PM
Post #4

Contact a driving school, state your case, i.e. you know how to drive and just need a few lessons to brush up on the local laws. Book and do the test.

As far as I know you do not legally need to spend all that money on the license if you already know how to drive....
+
Monark540
post 18.Feb.2013, 03:49 PM
Post #5

I'll take a stab at it. I, too, am from the States and after three years thought that I should get legal. Was stopped once for a minor infraction and before I could say anything the officer said, oh, here on vacation?

At any rate, I bit the bullet when I forgot to renew my U.S. License. Application, eye test (can't recall which I did first), skid course aka halk bana, riskettan (sit in the back of the classroom and nod your head from time to time -attendance and staying awake are the only criteria), written test and road test. The skid test is a lot of fun and I would urge you to put the car through its paces. You can do the written test in English and you are well-advised to spend some serious study time on this material to ensure a passing grade first time. Study the photos carefully since there can be more than one answer that fits the scene, only one of which is correct. Poke around TL and you can find some sample test Qs and As that were quite useful imho. Road test was a non-event and for me, didn't involve anything except a short drive, no parking or 3pt turms! Probably helped that I am an old fart like the examiner.

Seemingly, there are periods of high demand, so start early with the process and good luck.
+
born2die
post 18.Feb.2013, 08:49 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (ed.l.harris @ 18.Feb.2013, 02:17 PM) *
I am also from the USA and am nearing my 1 year anniversary for the drivers license. I have driven quite a bit this past year here in Sweden so I understand the traffic laws p ... (show full quote)

You can go online www.transportstyrelsen.se. or call them (department of transportation) they will send you a form called driving permit (körkorttillstånd) a fee of 220kr. It requiring a doctor visit for your health check, vision check...after you get all that documents send it back to them.
If you did not need driving lesson, then you can go ahead book a slippery road test. It costs 1700kr. Then Alcohol lesson or class cost 600-800kr depend on traffic shool.
After you have done all the above requirement, you can book time for theory (writting test) and road test.

You can not skip any of the above..
Driving theory book in English or other languages you can loan in libraries anywhere in Sweden at no cost.
+
Johno
post 19.Feb.2013, 09:51 AM
Post #7

A refugee from Tanzania with an American driving licence (parallel thread)
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com