• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Buying a small holiday home

Duplicate thread, check the one already replied to

leeds
post 10.Jun.2014, 10:41 AM
Post #1

Hello all,

After visiting Sweden I'm now considering buying a holiday home there to use in the summer. I'd really appreciate you're help with a few things.

I have looked online and there are some for al little as £20,000, £10,000 in some cases. Why are they so cheap? Is there something wrong with them?

Do you then have to pay ground rent on these homes, like having a static caravan in the UK or do you pay an equivalent to council tax?

Are there any other fees?

What is a reasonable minimum to pay for a little 1 bed wooden holiday home in an isolated location, somewhere you can go walking, possible fishing near by?

Thanks all!
Go to the top of the page
+
Turnipnswede
post 13.Jun.2014, 11:47 AM
Post #2

I'm pretty sure you will need to pay a property tax (fastighetsskatt) every year. Prices on cottages like that tend to be pretty low up in Northern Sweden but it depends on exactly where obviously. Normally you buy with the plot of land it stands on so it's like a freehold I suppose. There is no council tax on the properties, we pay that through our wages, but stuff like rubbish collection is not included. Then you need to think about what kind of water the cottage has. Does it have it's own well or is it connected to the mains? Has it got electricity? What kind of heating?
+
englishpianomusicteacher
post 27.Jun.2014, 06:56 PM
Post #3

If you buy a house for under about 40000 gbp you will find it probably
needs quite a lot of renovation even a house in the north
thecheap houses are situated miles from a decent road down very bad dust tracks which are hard for a vehicle to manage
they also will probably need their drainage dug around the house ,, like soakaways
Depending on the local area where you live depends on the cost of council taxes and electric
Contact me if you need anymore info , we are considering a sale of one of our houses in sweden
mvh

+
englishpianomusicteacher
post 28.Jun.2014, 08:17 AM
Post #4

One other thing AVOID some swedish estate agents , we were trying to sell a house and had all sorts of problems they like to run up an electric bill by leaving your heating and lights on if you are not in the property and charge a higher comkision percentage than the uk when you sell ie 4000£on a 20000 house .Maklerhuset in Skelleftea are named and shamed
+
englishpianomusicteacher
post 28.Jun.2014, 08:40 AM
Post #5

They then told us we were about to have our power supply cut off and it would be£2000 to switch it back on with Skelleftea Kraft they also said we had sold the house twice when we had not on hemnet
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se