• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Before moving to Sweden...

... a warning!

BennyOBenny
post 25.Jan.2013, 07:32 PM
Post #1

The Swedish realestate market is a hangover from the “communist” era. There are little to no such thing as “private rentals” unless you want a house, for which none are available to rent anyway. Alot of people in Stockholm (Swedish and foreigner) are essentially homeless and sleeping on friends sofas for short periods.

There is NO free housing market and not enough housing to go around.

Ex. I wanted to buy an apartment to rent to someone else. I can’t do this. You must rent from a big company or the state.

It’s a very frustrating system and I feel like more people should be aware of it!
Go to the top of the page
+
BennyOBenny
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:01 PM
Post #2

And just throwing it out there- Imma gonna guess that 90% of the apartments for rent on the Noticeboard are offshore scams so be on your highest alert when you approach these people.

Sort out your housing system Reinfeldt!
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:05 PM
Post #3

It´s not just Reinfeldt and his gang. It´s been like this for years as no governments or local councilslare compitant concerning the housing problem.
+
BennyOBenny
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:10 PM
Post #4

Reinfeldt has been in for a decent amount of time now. I know he is up against alot of opposition but that's not an excuse. If they want to attract EU citizens to Sweden then they've got to start making the living arrangements as easy as say, the UK or Germany.

I just miss a "for lease" you know?

And seriously, why the need to rent of the freaking government bostader??? Like, that's legal even if you're not on welfare but not if you rent long term off a friend or family member.
+
Mark249
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:22 PM
Post #5

Why would Sweden want to invite EU people? The Swedish market is highly regulated so that the economy can sustain natives. Not foreigners.
+
BennyOBenny
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:26 PM
Post #6

If Sweden wants to be a part of the EU it needs and already does have open borders with EU countries. But why would you choose to live here, if it's easier in your own country? Workers from France, Belgium etc. are very good for the Swedish economy. They are highly educated and can open businesses and enter well paid jobs ie. the chance of them relying on welfare are quite low but where the hell would they live??????
+
Mark249
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Swedes don't care if you are from the mainland and have an education or business. Swedes look after Swedes first.
+
BennyOBenny
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:29 PM
Post #8

But that's just it. They don't. There are plenty of Swedes who move to Stockholm for walk and can't find anywhere to live.
+
Mark249
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:31 PM
Post #9

Because the housing shortage should benefit locals first. wink.gif
+
BennyOBenny
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:34 PM
Post #10

So there is a political motivation behind the lack of housing? It's to keep immigrants out? There is a housing shortage because there is no free movement. And possibly no jobs in the country side but we aren't living in China so that's not a great excuse either...
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:45 PM
Post #11

Are you a bit thick or have you had one too many tonight.
There are no flats for the Swedes or people living here already. Should we build flats for others and stuff the rest that are already living here.

Have a cup of black coffee and sober up.
+
BennyOBenny
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:51 PM
Post #12

Are you stupid? When the population expands, you build more housing, right?

And when a system protects prices (ie. keeping them low) and restricts movement, I question it's logic. I feel it's an uneasy conclusion to suggest that although we live in an essentially free-market economy, the only people making money off of realestate are those in government or those who have companies.
+
vicky7
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:53 PM
Post #13

You're in the wrong country and barking up the wrong tree.
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:54 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (BennyOBenny @ 25.Jan.2013, 08:51 PM) *
Are you stupid? When the population expands, you build more housing, right? And when a system protects prices (ie. keeping them low) and restricts movement, I question it' ... (show full quote)

Before you write get your facts right. There are many private landlords.
+
BennyOBenny
post 25.Jan.2013, 08:57 PM
Post #15

Vicky 7- you are right. To DN.se I go.

And Intrepid- If it's an apartment complex, they are not by law "private landlords" for long term contracts.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com