• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21   Reply to this topic

Lived in Sweden for 5 years

But I luckily made my way out

newyorkman
post 28.Feb.2013, 05:53 PM
Post #301

What Would wrote:

"I understand how this is understood and looked upon as diversity, but I also have to wonder if many of these individuals could be looked upon as inwardly possessing similar characteristics and drive. In that sense, maybe these immigrants lack "diversity"

I dont believe I understand your above quote, could you please clarify yourself?

Intrepidfo, that could be a start. But since immigration will continue, it would be good to be a little more selective going forward.

Its possible my experience with the job market would be different if I lived in or around Stockholm. I live in Southern Sweden. Does anyone live in or around Stockholm that can give us some feedback about the situation there?
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 28.Feb.2013, 06:03 PM
Post #302

There are 400,000 unemployed in Sweden. Educate them first and then lower, not increase the pension age as it costs more for an unemployed person than a pensioner. That would increase the amount of the positions on the job market and save the country money but politicians live in their bubbles and do no realise what normal life is.
+
oldscot1
post 28.Feb.2013, 07:04 PM
Post #303

Just having flogged through all these posts, I feel entitled to comment.
I used to spend a lot of time in pubs etc, in Stockholm. At first i met many expats. Usually Brits. And they all , more or less, said much the same as the OP. So I do recognize the post, having heard its ilk many thousands of times before.
It was not long before I started out searching for "Swedish", pubs, to avoid the moaning. Why do these folk stay, i wondered. THis is not the UK, or a branch of the empire.
I may add that I came alone, no women, no ties. Initially to work, at an amazing rate of pay, and then a nice steady job as a labourer. I must also add, i am nearly as deaf as a post. I can read and write reasonable Swedish, if pushed, but after 15 years, have not a comprehensible word of svenska in my body.
So from a different perspective, there is nothing new in the OP post. One just has to adjust yourself to accomodate to the way of life. My best friends here is svensk.Oh and i can drop by and spend a night. I have friends up north, who I see for 3 or 4 days every midsummer. We drink, laugh, fish and eat the best wild food a man can kill. The scenery always takes my breath away. July and snow on the hill tops. Water straight from the rivers.Camp, walk, fish, paddle any where. Light a fire, cook dinner, and relax. Never have to meet a soul.
I always had a dream about Alaska. Well, i can never go there owing to funding, but Sweden is a brilliant second. Where else in the world can I have a house , half way up the side of a mountain, with a trout river at the bottom of the garden. A small forest where i can collect all the wood i can burn. And a way of life, i used to dream about. I still pinch my self to make sure it is not just a dream.
+
djmarko
post 28.Feb.2013, 07:42 PM
Post #304

I do agree that immigrants with key skills relevant to the Swedish job market should be encouraged, that is the foundation which the US was built on, the Jewish americans seem to have done well for example, they are seen in all the key positions from politics to commerce, since Swedish market is primarily export driven, hiring a Saudi, Chinese, Nigerian, Malaysian for example can certainly open up new market frontiers leading to bigger profits, Canadians have done this suceessfully, its the lax and old fashioned ways of EU thinkings that have helped to emerge the new Asian tigers, Brazills, Chinese, Malaysia, even some African nations are posting some positive double GDP digits, before one blinks an eye, a new world order will emerge to replace those who refused to change!!!
+
Migga
post 28.Feb.2013, 07:46 PM
Post #305

QUOTE (newyorkman @ 28.Feb.2013, 11:58 AM) *
In the US, African immigrants are the most educated of all immigrants.

Really, not asians?

QUOTE (newyorkman @ 28.Feb.2013, 11:58 AM) *
The strength of US entrepreneurship lies in its diversity. People, from different backgrounds and countries, provide the ingredient for constant innovation and the expansion of possibilities.

Perhaps so in the US, Sweden is one of the most competative and innovative country in the world though.

QUOTE (oldscot1 @ 28.Feb.2013, 07:04 PM) *
Just having flogged through all these posts, I feel entitled to comment. I used to spend a lot of time in pubs etc, in Stockholm. At first i met many expats. Usually Brits. An ... (show full quote)

That truly is an all swedish dream.
+
what would thomas paine d...
post 28.Feb.2013, 08:34 PM
Post #306

WWTPD: "I understand how this is understood and looked upon as diversity, but I also have to wonder if many of these individuals could be looked upon as inwardly possessing similar characteristics and drive. In that sense, maybe these immigrants lack "diversity"

NYM:I dont believe I understand your above quote, could you please clarify yourself?

Just that no matter the time, place, ethnicity, gender, etc. some individuals have a tendency to stay put, and some individuals have a tendency to wander. I suspect those who wander may often have a vision of something "better" that they're trying to achieve and for which they are willing to leave the known for the unknown in order to try to fulfill this vision.

And from the Scotsman: "...Never have to meet a soul..." That could make almost any place ideal (for a time at least)! smile.gif
+
what would thomas paine d...
post 28.Feb.2013, 09:19 PM
Post #307

MGA: "Really, not asians?"

NYM's statement seems to be cited from a 1999/2000 journal article referenced in this wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_immig...e_United_States

Though I only very superficially glanced, other sources seem to note Nigerians as particularly high achievers. A remember a friend saying they served with several Nigerians in boot camp as well. I don't know that I've ever met anyone from Nigeria...
+
newyorkman
post 28.Feb.2013, 10:13 PM
Post #308

Migga, according to the article I read ( and "What Would" may have found the specific article) Asians come in second. I admit, its a bit dated now and its possible that Africans have slipped to second place but I havent read that to be the case.

What Would wrote:

Just that no matter the time, place, ethnicity, gender, etc. some individuals have a tendency to stay put, and some individuals have a tendency to wander. I suspect those who wander may often have a vision of something "better" that they're trying to achieve and for which they are willing to leave the known for the unknown in order to try to fulfill this vision

I agree. But its that human drive that should be valued. Those who hunger for change and are ambitious are the best of immigrants. Whats the point of inviting someone with no interest in self improvement and advancement to enter your country? wink.gif
+
newyorkman
post 28.Feb.2013, 10:22 PM
Post #309

Djmarko, I see that you reside in Stockholm. Do you know if the situation there is any better in terms of having a more open job market?

Oldscot1, I agree with you that Sweden's vegetation and landscape is beautiful. Its one of the reasons why I wanted to return and leave the concrete jungle that is New York. I had a very hectic and fast paced work life in New York. The State ( and the country for that matter) places work before family and health, especially since I worked in the accounting and finance world. I felt myself just getting physically burnt. Here its a slower, family friendly pace that of course I prefer biggrin.gif

I just wished the job market was more open so that ambition, merit and achievements are rewarded rather than your name, eye and skin color.
+
DavidNiven
post 1.Mar.2013, 02:26 PM
Post #310

QUOTE (newyorkman @ 28.Feb.2013, 10:22 PM) *
I had a very hectic and fast paced work life in New York. The State ( and the country for that matter) places work before family and health, especially since I worked in the a ... (show full quote)

Maybe it was just an idiot with a lighter, but still a good reason to leave.
+

21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com