• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Raw Grass Fed Butter

Any sources in Sweden?

Nutriherbal
post 13.Jan.2013, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have found a good source of grass fed meat. However, we have not been able to locate a source for raw grass fed butter. We are in the area of Gavle but would be willing to travel if a good source can be located. In the U.S., depending on the state, some dairy farmers were able to legally sell this kind of butter by labeling it "For Pet Consumption Only."
Any leads would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Go to the top of the page
+
Svensksmith
post 13.Jan.2013, 03:09 PM
Post #2

I'm curious about your grass fed beef. We bought a half of a beef from a friend who raised his cows on grass. The hamburger is great with a good flavor but the steaks are tough as an old boot. I have read that grass fed beef should be aged much longer to tenderize the meat. Do you have any special instructions that you give to your butcher when you buy grass fed beef?
+
Nutriherbal
post 13.Jan.2013, 04:02 PM
Post #3

Hi, (second try at this)
Yes, the tough meat can sometimes be an issue. It can really depend on the cow you get. I have purchased some that are quite tender and one especially that was tough on every cut except the tender loin.

So far, the only thing we have gotten from this farmer is the hamburger and it's great.

We do cook steaks from reindeer and moose though. We like to get about a 1 inch cut. Heat the pan to a hi temp and sear both sides for no more than 2 minutes each side. Then cook at a low-med heat until desired.
Feel free to use lot's of butter, tallow or lard.

There are lot's of sites out there about cooking with grass fed meats. One to check out is: www.grassfedcooking.com

Good Luck
+
Puffin
post 13.Jan.2013, 07:08 PM
Post #4

You can buy organic (ekologisk) butter which is mostly grass fed (the rules specify a minumum number of days that the cows must be outside eating grass) however cows are not going to be able to eat fresh grass year round (especially near Gävle) owing to weather conditions
+
entry
post 13.Jan.2013, 07:30 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Nutriherbal @ 13.Jan.2013, 04:02 PM) *
Then cook at a low-med heat until desired.. Feel free to use lot's of butter, tallow or lard.

Slightly, OT. I know I can purchase tiny tins of Crisco from "The English Shop" in Gothenburg. What I would really like is a #10 can of Crisco at Costco prices in Sweden. That would probably require hell to freeze over but I cannot believe that lard is not offered for sale at ICA Maxi or Willies in 500g bricks just like butter. Is Lard or tallow available at the market here in Sweden? If so what is it called and what are the preferred brand names. -Paul
+
Nutriherbal
post 16.Jan.2013, 12:48 PM
Post #6

Not sure about tallow or lard being sold. You can save you own and use that. It is pretty stable.

Most "grass fed" is supplemented with hay/straw in the colder months. This works well.

Thanks for the replies.
+
skogsbo
post 16.Jan.2013, 03:08 PM
Post #7

Slight tangent, but I see tescos in the UK has broadened their range to cover horse meat burgers.
+
entry
post 16.Jan.2013, 03:26 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Nutriherbal @ 16.Jan.2013, 12:48 PM) *
Not sure about tallow or lard being sold. You can save you own and use that. It is pretty stable.

Looks like a very simple process. I guess I will be making some.

Homemade Lard - Playlist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmJXcihgIqw...44E5DABBED41117

Hey, I am going to have to get going soon and pick out some meat to cure for corned beef and cabbage(that takes about a month or more...). Otherwise St. Paddy's Day, Sunday, the 17th of March will not be the same. Better start stocking up on beer too...
+
Flutterbye
post 16.Jan.2013, 04:02 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 16.Jan.2013, 02:08 PM) *
Slight tangent, but I see tescos in the UK has broadened their range to cover horse meat burgers.

Thats not strictly true, stop trying to spread untrue stories, said burgers have been found in several supermarket chains also as far as Tesco's are concerned the burgers found with horse meat in them are their budget range which I wouldn't give to my dog let alone eat myself, in fact I wouldn't eat burgers from anywhere. angry.gif
Attached Image
+
skogsbo
post 16.Jan.2013, 05:04 PM
Post #10

not totally correct in the literal sense, but until today they were selling horse meat burgers, as were many other shops. Yes the horse meat was 'allegedly' sold to them from suppliers in mainland Europe. But, why let a few minor details get in the way, it still fact that the majority of supermarket meat is mass produced, from artificial fed animals and blast with antibiotics. Shop local is the key and don't buy reconstituted or processed meats.

Also, much of the European pork will now breaking new EU laws that came in at the start of the year. The UK and Sweden have been following these standards for years and despite a 7 or 8 year warning of implementation, most of Europe just hasn't quite had the time to get their pigs out of stalls so small they can't move or stand up.

Do you work for tesco's PR dept? wink.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Jan.2013, 05:20 PM
Post #11

Why are people so upset about horse meat? It is delicious, leaner than beef and extra yummy on sandwiches. You will find it in any store in Sweden.
+
skogsbo
post 16.Jan.2013, 05:27 PM
Post #12

Doesn't bother me, however;

- It will have been sold to the meat wholesaler, either knowingly or unknowingly for a knock down price
- It won't have been slaughtered properly and apart from a humane death it could be diseased (ie no vet checks)
- regulations on what feed and antibiotics can and can't be in meat for human consumption probably weren't abided by.

Yes, nothing wrong with it, it's only public perception of eating something that many would consider a pet. A bit like rabbit meat, which is a great chicken substitute and everyone has space to rear a few at home for the pot!!
+
Flutterbye
post 16.Jan.2013, 07:48 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 16.Jan.2013, 04:20 PM) *
Why are people so upset about horse meat? It is delicious, leaner than beef and extra yummy on sandwiches. You will find it in any store in Sweden.

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 16.Jan.2013, 04:04 PM) *
Do you work for tesco's PR dept? wink.gif

No I don't, in fact I don't very often shop there, prefer Waitrose which is the one shop I trust to buy certain items like free range chicken eggs, on no account will I ever buy battery hen eggs or even barn eggs, just like people to post the truth which in therory you did not, but I will forgive you. tongue.gif

Bender B R...

post Today, 16:20
Post #11

Luckily here in the UK we do NOT eat horse meat, leave that to those people who live on the other side of the English Channel,
I have never knowingly eaten horse while in Sweden but will check with my friends, hopefully they know I would not be happy eating Neddy.

Attached Image
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Jan.2013, 09:16 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Flutterbye @ 16.Jan.2013, 08:48 PM) *
I have never knowingly eaten horse while in Sweden but will check with my friends, hopefully they know I would not be happy eating Neddy.

If you ever had sausage of some kind you have probably eaten it. European sausages, in particular Italian ones like salami, is often a mix of beef/pig/horse/donkey.
+
skogsbo
post 17.Jan.2013, 07:53 AM
Post #15

yeah , but she shops in Waitrose, a morally superior shop, or does it just have higher prices and not higher morals? wink.gif Nearly all food comes from the same few suppliers, as this horse incident proves, they just put different packaging on it.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com