• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Question About Cheddar Cheese?

What is The U.S. Equivalent?

countrysidedrive
post 25.Aug.2010, 08:40 PM
Post #1

I am trying to find U.S. Cheddar Cheese. We buy cheddar typically in either mild, medium or sharp (strong) flavor. I typically us it on omelets and tacos. The only cheese I have found that is called called cheddar does not have the same flavor as U.S. cheddar. And the small single sliced cheese that I have also found that is called cheddar is what we called American Cheese but does not taste like cheddar. I also bought some Tex-Mex Cheese thinking it was U.S. Cheddar but it tasted like Swiss Cheese.
I know it must exist but it must be under a different name. Anyone know what the name is? Or if its available at all? And if so where?
Unfortunately, I am also aware that certain products like cheese, meats, breads and alcohol, for example, are only available to each of our countries because of tariffs, treaties and other government policies that most of us do not understand.
Go to the top of the page
+
Vetinari
post 25.Aug.2010, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Dairy products taste very different between Sweden and the US. Finding 'US tasting' cheeses will be very difficult. There is a chain of import stores called Grey's (or Gray's) that might have something, but I doubt it.

My dad used to get a large piece of Cheddar every christmas from his company, and as far as I could tell it tasted similar to Cheddar in the US.
+
koshka
post 25.Aug.2010, 09:19 PM
Post #3

I have no idea if US cheddar is anything like UK cheddar but if it is then Daglivs (Fridhemsplan, Stockholm) sells Cathedral City and Cathedral City Extra Mature. Another Stockholm option is Snowdonia Black Bomber extra mature from Taylor and Jones.
+
mudpuddlestomper
post 25.Aug.2010, 10:32 PM
Post #4

I have found some shredded cheddar cheese at Coop. I also found some really good aged cheddar at Lidl. It is hard to come by, but good luck!
+
Engelsmannen
post 26.Aug.2010, 12:55 AM
Post #5

There is no such thing as US Cheddar cheese. Cheddar cheese comes from Cheddar, in England. What you've been eating is some approximation of a Cheddar produced in the States, or imported English cheese. It's like saying I'd like some Polish Parmesan.

The closest I've found in Sweden to a true, mature, tangy Cheddar is by Perssons and can be found in Willys supermarkets. Don't go near the Kvibille range, it's rank.
+
Potrero
post 26.Aug.2010, 04:59 AM
Post #6

I've tried Arla's brand (I think that's Kvibille), both 6 and 12 month varieties, and a block from a local cheese shop. They tasted like aged mild cheddar to my American palette. Not sharp-tasting at all. I never sought out the English options: do they distinguish between aged and sharp like Americans do?
+
Rick Methven
post 26.Aug.2010, 05:11 AM
Post #7

ICA sells Cathedral City Mature and Extra Mature English Cheddar cheese which is nice and crumbly. Taylor & Jones have some really good cheddar the sort that makes your eyes water.

It is just a pity that the use of the name Cheddar has not been protected.
You now have Cheddar cheese from every country and 99% of the stuff that is sold as cheddar bears absolutely no resemblance to the real thing. What I remember about 'Cheddar' in the US was the orange/red colour from the additives. Real Cheese is the colour of cream not red
+
byke
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:06 AM
Post #8

Kraft slices?
+
Craptastical
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:23 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 26.Aug.2010, 06:11 AM) *
ICA sells Cathedral City Mature and Extra Mature English Cheddar cheese which is nice and crumbly. Taylor & Jones have some really good cheddar the sort that makes your ey ... (show full quote)

I can certainly understand and appreciate European's stance on this, but I think that the use of certain words in the US to describe products is very different than in Europe.

WRT cheese, the best way to understand it is to pretend that cheddar is an adjective (it's not, but I think you'll understand how it's used in the US, think "cheddary"). The same thing goes for what's referred to as "Swiss Cheese". It's describing a certain style available and not necessarily where the cheese came from.

As for the US style of cheddar, I don't miss it. There's been plenty to choose from here which has been equally good if not a hell of a lot better. There is one kind of cheese that I miss though... Pepper Jack. And no, it's not orange smile.gif
+
Craptastical
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:27 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (byke @ 26.Aug.2010, 08:06 AM) *
Kraft slices?

That's American Cheese, not cheddar. Think "chemicals mixed together to taste like some kind of cheese and then wrapped in individual plastic wraps".
+
Rick Methven
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:41 AM
Post #11

I can certainly understand and appreciate European's stance on this, but I think that the use of certain words in the US to describe products is very different than in Europe.

Regional cheese producers are trying to protect genuine regional products from copying. parmesan is an example. They want products made outside the region to be called "Chedder type". We have an international market about 3 times a year when we can buy French, German, Dutch, British and Italian foods. I always buy some good Dutch cheese which I have liked ever since I lived there. The market was here last week and the Dutch guy told me that they no longer used the word 'Gouda' to describe their cheese even if it was produced in Gouda, because the brand had been devalued by German and Danish mass producers who make a sloppy tastless pap that is nothing like the real thing. I bought a kilo of Oude Amsterdamse kaas - actually made in Gouda and matured 6 years. That is a good cheese biggrin.gif
+
Craptastical
post 26.Aug.2010, 07:48 AM
Post #12

I think that the difference may be this...

It seems to me that in Europe there's something similar to trademark protection for products named after their region or place of origin. As far as I know, trademark protection (which is what this would be in the US) doesn't provide protection for names of places if that's what's used to identify a specific kind of product. This could also be why those products called "cheddar cheese" in the US are either non-existant in Europe or extremely hard to find.

Edit: I should note that this is just a guess
+
Rick Methven
post 26.Aug.2010, 08:03 AM
Post #13

As the use of the name cheddar to describe cheese made all over the world, they where refused a trademark on it. Some producers in the Cheddar Gorge area have now started to label their cheese as 'Genuine Cheddar Cheese' whereas in Holland, Producers in the Gouda area use the name of the producer or village etc without the word Gouda tagged on. Hard Parmesan type cheese in from Italy that is not made in Parmesan is now being sold under other names such as Gran Padano. The French have been the best at protecting regional trademarks - Cognac and Champagne. If anybody tried to use those names for some foreign produce, France would declare war.
+
rabbemos
post 26.Aug.2010, 08:25 AM
Post #14

I share similar feelings as Englishman does except for I am American. It really offends me when other countries call it American Cheese. These countries completely disrespect America's scientific achievements in food processing technology.

We have laws in America that are very dissimilar to the German beer purity act but applicable to American Cheese...called the "Cheese Analog Act" where only the following ingredients are allowed in American cheese for it to carry the name...

MILK, WHEY, MILKFAT, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MANIFEST DESTINY, SALT, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM CITRATE, OVERZEALOUS PATRIOTISM, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), REAGANOMICS, ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, VITAMIN D3, CHEESE CULTURE, AND A PINCH OF FAT LYPOSUCKED FROM RUSH LIMBAUGH.

Reel American Cheese only comes in two forms.

1. Individually packaged by the slice.
2. In a tube. The same kind of tube cheese American Astronauts ate when walking on the moon...If its good enough for Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon, and Gary Sinese its good enough for all American speakers.
+
rabbemos
post 26.Aug.2010, 08:39 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 26.Aug.2010, 07:03 AM) *
If anybody tried to use those names for some foreign produce, France would declare war.

ROFL. Yes, they would declare war but they do not have enough white cloth to equip every soldier with a flag to wave.
+

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se