• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

European Health Insurance Card for a non-EU person

Applying for a sambo visa with an EU student

sao
post 24.Jan.2013, 02:55 AM
Post #1

Hello Everyone

Any help in my case will be greatly appreciated smile.gif

I come from a non-EU country and have been in Sweden for a couple of years on study visa and now living with a girl who is an EU citizen and here in Sweden on a student permit. I want to apply for a sambo visa and I think the information and the application form that applies to me is here: http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/145_en.html , please correct me if I am wrong.

My main question is about the requirement that I should provide my European Health Insurance Card (page 4 of form no. 145011 under the heading 'My relative is a student')

How can I do this? I am not an EU citizen and have no EHIC. So far I was covered by the state insurance but I think I cannot get EHIC or an equivalent certificate from Försäkringskassan as it would be invalid after my current permit expires, but I will visit and check with them tomorrow anyway.

Any comments/suggestions would be really helpful. So thanks in advance!

On a side note, when my girlfriend first arrived here, she had a seamless registration with Migrationsverket but Skatteverket wouldn't give her a P-number because her EHIC was valid for 6 months whereas they needed one valid for atleast 1year and her home country was saying they cannot issue a card for more than 6 months. In the end, both budged, meaning she was able to get EHIC with 1 year validity while skatteverket said due to a 'policy change' they can accept 6 month EHIC.

Please help me!! I went to Migrationsverket today which left me even more confused and just told me that I should brace myself for a rough ride ahead tongue.gif

Looking forward to your responses.
Go to the top of the page
+
sao
post 24.Jan.2013, 10:20 AM
Post #2

Update: I talked to försäkringskassan and am told that I am not even registered with them and that I don't have any medical insurance. But I have already used the insurance cover while I was here, as I paid only as much as a Swedish citizen would.

So I guess I have to buy an insurance policy on my own. Could someone please guide me what reasonably priced insurance policy would be enough for migrationsverket

Thanks again
+
Case officer
post 24.Jan.2013, 06:21 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (sao @ 24.Jan.2013, 02:55 AM) *
My main question is about the requirement that I should provide my European Health Insurance Card (page 4 of form no. 145011 under the heading 'My relative is a student ... (show full quote)

This is certainly an interesting scenario. The forms and the information you have received will assume that you have lived with your girlfriend in her EU country and that you intend to move to Sweden together, covered by the national insurance in her country.

EU students are protected by the national insurance system in their home country. You will have to find a way be covered by your girlfriends insurance as a family member. I have no idea of how this can be done. If you do not have an EHIC card you need to have a medical insurance that will give you comprehensive medical care (not only emergency care), hospital accommodation, medication, rehabilitation and medical transportation. As far as I know no Swedish company can offer you this insurance.

Instead of painting yourself into a corner with a residence card, you should consider applying for a Swedish residence permit on your own merits, eg. a work permit for employment or a studying permit.
+
sao
post 25.Jan.2013, 01:43 AM
Post #4

Hi and thanks for your reply.

The forms and the information you have received will assume that you have lived with your girlfriend in her EU country and that you intend to move to Sweden together, covered by the national insurance in her country

Yes, I was thinking of the same thing.

I can apply for a study permit (no job offers as yet wink.gif wink.gif ) but unless i get a job offer before I graduate I will have to go through this procedure anyways as I finish my studies a year before she does.

So far I have found 2 possible health insurance policies I can get 1) IMG Global which seems to have already worked for one of the forum posters here or 2) Aon in partnership with Gouda which specifically says "Our Incoming product will cover the requirements of the Swedish Migration Board for your stay in Sweden as long as up to 12 months" and that I can renew it after 12 months.

I am also trying to get a (hopefully) cheaper quote from my home country and then check with Migrationsverket which one of them will do.

Wish me luck...Thanks smile.gif
+
sao
post 25.Jan.2013, 02:10 AM
Post #5

Instead of painting yourself into a corner with a residence card, you should consider applying for a Swedish residence permit on your own merits, eg. a work permit for employment or a studying permit.

What is the difference between residence card and residence permit? Also, it says on the website after 5 years of stay in Sweden on a residence card I can get a permanent residence card (PUK), as opposed to a PUT I suppose. Is it just a difference in terminology or are there major differences between the two?
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com