• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

How come you joined "The Local"?

Curiosity phase 2

Garry Jones
post 30.Aug.2012, 11:19 PM
Post #1

I joined on February 20th 2005.

It was a Swedish girl who had lived in the UK who told me about the site. I think I read for a few weeks and then joined to comment on something.

Funny to think that some of us where actually on here pre-facebook... smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
teslar
post 31.Aug.2012, 09:02 AM
Post #2

<---- Doesn't the forum tell you right there on the left when anyone joined? wink.gif

A Brit told me about The Local when I asked about any ways to get Swedish news in something other than Swedish just after I moved here.
+
gplusa
post 31.Aug.2012, 09:14 AM
Post #3

Unless you're one of the frequent flyers who has to re-invent themselves on the forum every 6 months. Not quite sure why they bother to do that, mind, because we still know who they are.

Personally I find it somewhat annoying when people don't show where they are from. A person's location can give a lot of perspective to their post and I hardly think it's a security or privacy risk issue. Unless you've got something to hide, that is.
+
Snood
post 31.Aug.2012, 09:26 AM
Post #4

Well as it says, I joined up last September but I've been reading the local news since about 2008 when I first came here for a summer. I'm really not sure how I found it, probably Google.
+
StephenR
post 31.Aug.2012, 09:53 AM
Post #5

May 2011. I think I found it through searching for information about Sweden in English
+
byke
post 31.Aug.2012, 01:04 PM
Post #6

4 years ago.
It started after a bungled assassination attempt in Portugal, and later during a clean up campaign it was bungled for a second time by local Inteligence who balls up a vry simple incrimination with the use of a CD player. Of course a man who is in his later years isnt going to use such tech. However by this time exploding gramophones were no longer in production or in the catalog and the old models also were fuse based which meant it had to be lit in rather close proximity.

But we will get our man, Trowy (aka Jason borne senior)
+
Svensksmith
post 31.Aug.2012, 06:05 PM
Post #7

Jason Bourne Senior...now I have a picture in my mind, but not the one I expected.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 31.Aug.2012, 06:15 PM
Post #8

You thought...Mata Hari? cool.gif
+
Hamsterdam
post 31.Aug.2012, 08:43 PM
Post #9

I knew the camp guy who started it up, he sold out the essence of a good site in the pursuit of lucre and tackiness.
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 1.Sep.2012, 10:22 AM
Post #10

I seem to recall I possibly joined before those convulsions which got me those electric shocks, and that water-boarding to cure, but it was certainly before the stated date on this post.

And I remember vaguely during the convulsions that the guy trying to kill me in Portugal and then here was wearing a plastic button on his lapel, telling people to join The Local - what I must have done then because those torturing me continually asked where I got the idea from. smile.gif
+
cogito
post 1.Sep.2012, 02:07 PM
Post #11

To read Tales of Trowbridge, as well as those who refute the T. of T.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 1.Sep.2012, 08:40 PM
Post #12

After my family reunion I was looking for a Swedish in English news outlet...I found the Local on Google and started reading it...after about a year I got totally pissed with the Swede bashing that at the time was just about the main theme with this site. I had never and still haven't posted anywhere else before or since.

I still get pissed, but have not been as angry as I once was. My sixteen Kusins their children, and spouses are still on my mind when things are said in a mean spirit about Swedes.

They are good people and don't deserve to be part of Swede bashing.

Pacem in terris,

GH
+
Opalnera
post 5.Sep.2012, 07:32 PM
Post #13

I joined a little before I moved to Sweden. I found the forums while I was searching for jobs in English. I read The Local occasionally but to be honest I think it's complete drivel 99% of the time. I still read the forums from time to time but I don't post much anymore, probably because I'm busy and I got a bit tired of the constant whinging. I guess not everyone is unemployed and has infinite amounts of time to complain about Sweden laugh.gif
+
SimonDMontfort
post 6.Sep.2012, 08:37 AM
Post #14

I joined about 5 years after coming to live in Sweden permanently. I thought that this is the only real site that caters for (primarily) English speaking ex-pats in Sweden.

Have to say – agree a lot with Opalnera above: posting on here is not the ‘high point’ of my day – but there are many, many discussions that shed light, for me, on aspects of life here.

Pity it sometimes feels so ‘tense’ though - and even sarcasm-laden. I'm sure more folks would join in if it were otherwise.
But thats just my personal view. mellow.gif
+
Lostaussie
post 6.Sep.2012, 09:36 AM
Post #15

Came to Sweden March 2000, joined the local march 2005 leaving Sweden in 23 days :-)
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com