• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Riksbanken cuts interest rates again

Now at 1%

byke
post 20.Dec.2012, 10:36 AM
Post #31

I wonder what foreign investment in Sweden is like today ...
Go to the top of the page
+
Mib
post 20.Dec.2012, 10:51 AM
Post #32

What's the old saying...those who can... DO, those who can't become a politician or write on forums like me smile.gif When I meet so called experts, I'm always amazed at how some of them are NOT experts. They know enough, but don't have a level of knowledge that entitles them to being an expert. Experience is key to knowledge. Reading a book and passing an exam on how to drive a car, does not mean you can then DRIVE a car.

Regarding the UK and I'm sure there are similariities in Sweden...it amazes me that they appoint Ministers to head a department ie. Health and then do a reshuffle every year or 2, which means that they never quite get up to speed with things. They rely on advisors, consultants and civil service staff to give them the right unbiased information and alot of these people have been there forever, regardless of the Govrnment in power. That is part of the problem. Just look at the Weat Coast line debacle where the contract was given to another firm, but the judgement didn't make sense. It was due to corrupt/lazy/biased civil staff.

In te UK, a lot of the politicians are lawyers, accountants and a big chunk have gone via Eton. The selection process is by the local party only, who seem to choose friends of other politicians etc. It's a gravy train for most where expenses are still abused.

My suggestion would be to have a volunteer group of people from diverse backgrounds, with some of them having links with the particular area that they are familiar with...even experts! Then say the Education minister would by law have to consult these groups on reforms etc and publish the meeting minutes once a decison has been made. Of course there ave to be certain checks and balances on how you select people, when they need to be consulted etc. It's normally the people on the ground who will steer decisions in the right way or at least help open up the blinkered thinking of some. But some politicans are arrogant and think only an overpaid consultant can advise and that ordinary people don't have the aptitude to help make the right decisions.
+
Yorkshireman
post 20.Dec.2012, 11:24 AM
Post #33

QUOTE (Mib @ 20.Dec.2012, 10:51 AM) *
They rely on advisors, consultants and civil service staff to give them the right unbiased information

What makes You believe they are looking for unbiased information? They have a political agenda which is what they were elected to persue.

If everything was based upon unbiased information with regards policy forming for Government, then there is no need for Party politics!

and by right unbiased information ...do you mean the right info that supports their party policies?
wink.gif
+
Mib
post 20.Dec.2012, 11:34 AM
Post #34

Yes...that naive view of unbiased decison making from a politician is like asking the NRA the best advice on how to controll gun ownership. smile.gif Maybe one day someone with integrity, common sense, thicked skin and a knack of knowing the right thing o do will happen.
+
skogsbo
post 20.Dec.2012, 11:39 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (Mib @ 20.Dec.2012, 10:51 AM) *
That is part of the problem. Just look at the Weat Coast line debacle where the contract was given to another firm, but the judgement didn't make sense. It was due to corr ... (show full quote)

In the Lords many of the committees which given Laws the second reading have area knowledge experts. Many public servants are experts in their field, it's a question of MPs listening to the advice and acting on it !

Decisions will always follow party policy, which may not be the best policy. If a business person is a significant donor to the opposition party, they aren't going to be given a massive contract. Often they'll rumour a decison, check the polls to see how the public might view, then either do a U turn or push on ahead. With only 4-6yrs max in office, there isn't time to a do very much and retain your votes! A term should be at least 7 or 8 years, perhaps even 10.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com