• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Remembrance Day 11-11

The Annual March-Past

skogsbo
post 12.Nov.2012, 03:50 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (sometimesinsweden @ 12.Nov.2012, 03:27 PM) *

I was lucky in many ways, I joined on the old pension scheme, and had a choice in moving to the new one or staying on the old scheme, of course I stayed.

I was also fortunate that my/our plan was always to move over to here, so I left when the kids were young, and was only away aborad when the first was in his first year. I did miss his first birthday, but he won't remember that and I came home in one piece, so all's well in the big scheme of things.

If the UK economy and job scene wasn't so fkuced up there wouldn't be much incentive for people join up anymore. High risk, low wage, poor living conditions, poor support structure, in old age before you get your pension... the pluses were certainly sliding away during my last few years and you could see it sucking morale away with it. Granted the old boys will tell us we had it easy and we did by comparision, but the old boys also know how bad it is for the likes of those now in Iraq and Afghanistan and can relate to it. Hence why they started lining the road at Wotton Basset.

Blair, Brown and Cameron all cowards without convicton, bet they wouldn't dare spend any real time in theatre or send their kids there. I think Hague might have been different, as his constituency covers Catterick etc., but he blew his chance and may /or may not get another go at leading. There are 1 or 2 out spoken ex military MPs but these are too few to have any real influence over the career politicians in Parliament.

It annoys me, when we covered for the Fire Service striking who had a picnic of a job (still do) and they got a 15% pay rise, what did the military get, false praise and nothing else. Since then we've had guys training for tanker drivers and the prison service, or stepping in to save security at the Olympics.. which despite clearly being a massive target, when smoothly. Many people under estimate just how much the forces do at home, but the politicians certainly take it for granted.
Go to the top of the page
+
DaveN
post 13.Nov.2012, 09:55 AM
Post #17

I'll post up the details before next years service, then those that want/are able can put in an appearance.

I remember Michael Foot at the service some years back. Now he was a disgrace.
+
Hisingen
post 13.Nov.2012, 02:07 PM
Post #18

I for one will keep an eye out for that, Dave. I guess, too that I shall have to dig out my old beret with its Suffolk Regiment badge. I still have it, as do many old stagers. I can only sport one medal, the GSM for Malaya, but nonetheless I would wear it with pride. I continued in the TA following NS, up until I moved to Sweden in 1960. Then I was back under the original call-up Nothamptonshire Regt. I have both of my original regimental badges, but unlike 'Monty' I can only wear one of them.
The Malayan campaign was somewhat different to the post WW2 conflicts, but nonetheless not an easy one. I was returned to the UK following a shooting incident, having sustained injury to an eye that was aggravated by the brighter sunlight there, and so completed the remainder of my service back at the depot in Bury St. Edmunds.
A strange coincidence came about whilst in hospital in London at a later date, was my reading a book about 'The Battle for the Tennis Court* - an incident in Burma during the war, where the first medic to go in when relief came, was a Capt R K Pilcher of the RAMC. He had been the surgeon who dealt with my eye at BMH Kinrara, and who flew me back down to Singapore with him along with a chap from the King's Own Royal West Kent Regt, who also had an eye injury as a result of a serious ambush the same day. By then he had been promoted to major. It is a small world.
But no-one in his right senses glorifies war. Seldom have any of the politicians, who send troops into conflict, ever even held a weapon or would know which end to point. In this, one cannot help but have a certain respect for our two young princes, Wills and Harry, who do at least see some action in one form or other. Not completely mollicoddled. But our millionaire non-combatants in Parliament and those at the MoD who fail to ensure that our troops in the front line get the equipment necessary to preserve life and limb, to see them bleeting in 'The House' about this that and the other - resulting in absolutely nothing more than hot air - that makes my blood boil. But then looking at the other side of the coin - would I trust having any of them behind me in conflict? Highly doubtful.
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Nov.2012, 02:25 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 13.Nov.2012, 02:07 PM) *
see them bleeting in 'The House' about this that and the other - resulting in absolutely nothing more than hot air - that makes my blood boil. But then looking at the ... (show full quote)

You need not worry, The closest any MP would be behind any poor squaddie on the front line, would be behind a barracade in the house of commons bar
+
skogsbo
post 13.Nov.2012, 03:05 PM
Post #20

Gordon Brown and his flunkies paid us a visit once overseas, but they flew in during the day, we told his hangers on that we were suprised they flew in during the day and that their flight out would be risky now, as word would be out there was a plane on the ground in daylight. Their faces were a picture, but its good for them to feel a bit of personal risk!
+
sometimesinsweden
post 13.Nov.2012, 03:13 PM
Post #21

Liam Fox seemed the best of a bad bunch and was reasonably well regarded until err... certain rumours of his private life resulted in him leaving office. All Labour SSOD, who were supposed to be looking after the Armed Forces who they sent into battle twice, were a joke - careerist politicians unable to do their jobs well.
+
Svensksmith
post 13.Nov.2012, 03:32 PM
Post #22

@Sometimes

I became a wood shop teacher as a young man because it was my favorite class in school, I liked working with my hands and thought teaching kids would be fun. The pay isn't great but overall it has been a good profession for me.

However, after 30 years of teaching (with 5 more to go) the government is trying to reduce salaries, cut positions and take our pensions away all the while saying how important we teachers are. Meanwhile the government officials enjoy marvelous salaries, pensions and healthcare...far superior than the average Joe.

It's the same all over, I guess.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 13.Nov.2012, 06:20 PM
Post #23

It's amazing how a post changes into something different after a few replies.

This one is no different than a lot of others, in that it turns into a note of frustration and rage at political leaders everywhere...I wanted to post a rather long rant but have calmed a bit due to not being able to sign in properly (yes that old story...LOL) none of us are happy but what is the solution?

I for one have many, but to make them public or to make them real would no doubt lead to a lengthy jail sentence!

But the real problem is how do we change those that are supposed to represent us???

Damned if I know, but there has to be something better. sad.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 13.Nov.2012, 07:52 PM
Post #24

Back again, hard to let this one go.

As a suggestion I would totally be in favor of term limits, as I see this as a way to get rid of "career" politicians.

I would rather see people who are successful in other endeavors, enter politics to improve government and it's "service" to the people it represents.

Am I day dreaming?
+
Hisingen
post 13.Nov.2012, 08:12 PM
Post #25

In 1951, we had a visit from a 'John Bull' journalist, Harry Hopkins, who wanted to see what life in the jungle was like. He went out on a couple of patrols 'right deep into the ulu'. Well, so he thought. But since we couldn't risk anything happening to him, the patrols entered the jungle, and then skirted along the edge, so that in effect he was never any deeper in than a hundred metres or so.
That is the way it is whenever any visitor 'goes to the front'. It wouldn't do for anything to happen to a civvie who was on a visit. Bad PR don't you know?
That is one of the reasons visiting bigwigs are almost always well catered for, but on their return to 'civilization' there are big stories about having been to the front with the boys. We also had a visit from the C in C FARELF, but he was a different kettle of fish. When he went on a patrol, he literally went deep into the ulu, as well equipped as the patrol he was with, which didn't amount to that much. A No.4 rifle, 50 rounds in a bandolier and ten in the gun itself.
The SAS were also in the area around Kajang, anjd most of those guys were Rhodesians, and were usually on deep penetration patrols, lasting for weeks on end.
The Suffolk Regiment was pretty popular around Kuala Lumpur and Kajang, and we had very good relations with the Malayan people we met up with. Less so with the 4th Bn Malayan Races Liberation Army, which was made up of Chinese communists left behind after the war, and who were not welcomed by the Malayans themselves. Lew Kon Kim was their leadee, and the one with the biggest price on his head. The Regiment eventually took him out before they finally returned to the UK in '53.
From my experience, our troops very often create good will in the main wherever they are, in spite of the reasons for them having to be there. That is why, when there are fatalities, as there were in my Regiment, if they are buried in that country, the graves are often well tended by the local population. The Military Cemetery out there was no exception, and I was able to proved documentation for families in the UK regarding some of those we lost. I believe this to be the case in other parts of the world, where the fallen remain, and were not brought home as is the case today.
Someone mentioned Wootton Bassett, and the response of people of that town to those sad homecomings was truly worthy of those fallen. Seeing those people turning out to line the streets as each flight brought in further victims was tremendously moving, and the support they gave to the relatives who were there had to be seen to be believed. It made me very proud - and humble - to be British on such occasions.
Burning poppies, defiling the Cenotaph, mocking a parade. Irreverent they may be, but they fade to nothing when compared with the turnouts at Wotton Bassett and on Remembrance Sunday.
I say it once more. good friends. We Shall Remember Them.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com