• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Waiting time for Work Permit

First time applicant

Archiekins
post 28.Aug.2011, 05:58 AM
Post #1

Hi All,

I have recently got a job offer in Sweden and have accordingly applied for a work permit. I have applied online as it was given that it is the fastest process. However, it has been 6 six weeks and I have got to know that no case officer has been assigned yet and it will take 3-4 months for the process to complete.I am concerned about the timing and my job offer date. What should I do?
Go to the top of the page
+
pathor
post 29.Aug.2011, 01:58 PM
Post #2

As I see it the current workloads for Migrationsverket is quite high.

I have been waiting for 4 months for my work permit and still have no case officer yet. Its really disappointing ! sad.gif

But you can start work if your previous permit , student or so on, allowed you to work.

Also I am sure you know that as a student you have to have finished at least 30 credits or one term of studies.

its really a waiting game now . All the best !
+
Archiekins
post 30.Aug.2011, 02:59 AM
Post #3

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am not a student there though. I guess that would make the waiting more, wont it? sad.gif
+
pathor
post 30.Aug.2011, 10:06 AM
Post #4

No it does not matter.

The rule is that if you apply electronically then you should get the decision in 4 months. But if you are self-employed you get it in 10 months I think.

There are exceptions though . I know of people who got the permit in two months so... its really difficult to say.

just keep an eye out and maybe send an email to the Migrationsverket asking for your case officer again and see what they come up with .

The waiting can be really stressful I know as I am really stressed out now. But take it easy !

Stiff upper lip as the Brits say cool.gif !
+
moonwars
post 24.Oct.2011, 02:49 PM
Post #5

@Archiekin: Did you finally make any progress on the WP. I am just trying to get an estimate of time it is taking at this time of the year.
+
wantto
post 24.Oct.2011, 05:55 PM
Post #6

are you an EU citizen? I have read that for e.g. residence permits for EU citizens you have to wait 3-4 months. I got in 1,5 so you can be lucky.
+
newyorkerinstockholm
post 24.Oct.2011, 07:07 PM
Post #7

I would call every morning and ask why you haven't received a case officer yet. Tell them that your job start date has passed and that you need it immediately. It may help.
+
GBGcommuter
post 25.Oct.2011, 08:32 AM
Post #8

I've been waiting for 4 Months, and still nothing! I called Migrationsverket and they just told me "we don't Know" I would say that a permit will take a minimum of 4 months, probably more so if you have waited for 6 weeks, its still gonna be a while.
+
ambkst
post 25.Oct.2011, 08:51 AM
Post #9

Hi, I recommend having your employer call to see if they can get it expedited. That worked for me - I managed to get my permit within weeks. Good luck!
+
hatim
post 25.Oct.2011, 09:17 PM
Post #10

It depends on which permit unit is dealing with your case and how much load do they have.

I have tried every ting from calling to the help line, talking to information of migration board in person and calling an officer who I was not even suppose to get a number of (I got a print out of an officer who is not the case officer but is related to the case). Every time the answer was we don't know (from very polite and to border line infuriated)

My employer has sent documentation and I have sent documentation for a conferenced that I wished to attend. It seems that they are making progress but they only deal with application by its arrival time and they don't make any exceptions (atleast that was the claim).

I applied on last day of June and early this week I was told that they are processing cases from early June in Norkoping permit unit. So your guess is as good as mine
+
Archiekins
post 31.Oct.2011, 03:50 PM
Post #11

Hi All,
Got my decision. Was a little busy with that.. It took around 3 months..
+
Santanu Dey
post 1.Nov.2011, 11:25 AM
Post #12

HI,

Today after nearly 4 months, I got a email stating only:

"you case has been settled. Please contact the swedish embassy to receive your descision."

Swedish embassy in my country is closed till tomorrow, so can confirm on Thursday.
But does the line "Settled" means approval or rejection or literally settled only.

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Santanu Dey
+
axiom
post 1.Nov.2011, 01:51 PM
Post #13

Its not possible to tell.
Just have to find out on Thursday, I'm afraid
+
RobbieIRL
post 3.Nov.2011, 12:35 AM
Post #14

What is the story with applying for work permits. I was in Sweden 2 weeks ago I applied and then had a change of address so I called back in to update it. They called me 3 days later when I got back to Ireland saying that they had no record or lost my case and I have to come back over to reapply.
+
kingsdestr0yed
post 8.Nov.2011, 04:43 PM
Post #15

hello guys, ive been traveling a lot lately and I always seem to end up back in Sweden. I truly love it here. I am originally a US Citizen but after the melt down and the incompetence of USA's smartest and brightest, I lost faith in that nation and decide that it is time to seek a new life elsewhere. I am not originally American, I am from the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, which happens to be US Terriroty after the Spanish-American War so we are granted US CItizenship but most of my people do not consider themselves Americans and we are very serious about our culture and traditions) Anyway! I have been reading mixed details and have been told mixed stories about How to Apply/Where to Apply/Etc.

My real question is and it is a question that I continue to get different answers for is... legally traveling in Scandinavia and decide to jobseek within that time or perhaps I fall in love and decide to live with a partner, do I need to really go back to the USA to apply for a Work Permit or Sambo or can I do it from Sweden while I am there?

If someone could please give me a straight answer for once and not a mixed one.

Much obliged!,

Lou
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se