• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Moving a tv to UK

Where to find a box for a wide TV to move

foxpur
post 3.Jan.2013, 12:40 PM
Post #1

As the subject says, I am moving to UK. Most of my stuff goes in moving boxes... Except..
A 140cm wide x 65cm high x 15cm thick TV (assuming I take the base off)...
Where do I find a box for that?
Go to the top of the page
+
Gordy
post 3.Jan.2013, 01:12 PM
Post #2

Have you tried asking at some local electrical stores?

Failing that my approach would be to wrap the TV with the big bubble wrap and then make a simple packing case out of wood for it.
+
Beef
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:03 PM
Post #3

Sell it! YOu get a better price for second hand goods in Sweden. Then buy the equivalent second hand in the UK! Everyone's a winner!

Congratulations and I wish I was going home! Maybe one day.. All the best!
+
foxpur
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Beef,
This is a fairly new, recently recoded 41" Sony 3D... I don't see that getting found at second hand in UK.
+
John.Smith
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:54 PM
Post #5

Gordys suggestion is spot on. Multiple layers of bubble wrap sandwiched between two sheets of plywood cut to size. You can make a basic frame out of 50mm lumber. Better than any cardboard box especially if you cannot get the Styrofoam casings to match. Total cost would be under 100kr or maybe even free if you look in a skip by a construction yard.
+
Hisingen
post 3.Jan.2013, 03:37 PM
Post #6

I am not sure about current TV tuners, but in the past there was a difference between UK and Swedish tuners, whereby they were not interchangeable. This was in the analogue age, and may be different today, but it is worth checking before shipping. Otherwise the 'sell here-buy in the UK' advice would be preferable.
Just a thought that might be worth examining.
+
eurobloke
post 3.Jan.2013, 08:25 PM
Post #7

I think you were talking about the days in which the UK used PAL-I, while Sweden (and much of the rest of Europe) used PAL-B/G. Today, the current system now in the UK is DVB-T 8k using MPEG-2 & later DVB-T2 using MPEG-4 for HDTV, which is the same in Sweden. If you look at some of the tellies in the UK, it has French and Spanish markings for DTT.
+
Somebody
post 3.Jan.2013, 08:35 PM
Post #8

TV tuner is not a problem. You can always get an external one if necessary (e.g. USB plug-in for 50 quid or so)
+
byke
post 4.Jan.2013, 12:41 AM
Post #9

Won't a Swedish TV only show boring shows?
I don't know if it will be able to understand or be able to descrambler a comedy signal.
+
Hisingen
post 4.Jan.2013, 11:59 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (eurobloke @ 3.Jan.2013, 08:25 PM) *
I think you were talking about the days in which the UK used PAL-I, - - - -.

As I mentioned in my post - yes - that was in the analogue days. Not having had to buy a TV in the UK for umpteen years now I had no idea of the changes, but submitted the thought mainly for the OP not to be burdened with something that just might not work.
Thanks for the info, tho'. No doubt that has also clarified the situation for other would-be movers, in one direction or the other.
smile.gif

To Byke, you could be right, but as long as it still doesn't transmit Hyland's Hörna all should be well.
I did see 'Mitt liv som hund' on I think BBC a while back, tho' - with subtitles.
+
agw9262
post 4.Jan.2013, 02:11 PM
Post #11

When we moved from the UK to Sweden last year we had a 46" flat screen with no box - we used cardboard (the thick corrugated stuff) immediately against the screen and the back, then layered bubble wrap with a second layer of cardboard then wrapped it an old quilt from a double bed and lastly shrink wrapped it.

Got here in perfect condition.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com