• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Moving to Sweden with pets

Where is everything located?

Winter Child
post 18.Oct.2012, 06:04 PM
Post #1

I will be moving to Sweden from Hong Kong next year, so before I get there with my 2 cats and 2 dogs, I would like to know where the vets/groomers/ pet supply stores are (if there are any). I will be living in Jonkopings Lan.

I've tried to search for pet stores/clinics online, but I haven't found anything and it's starting to worry me.

Is Sweden an overall pet friendly place?

The help/advice would be appreciated!
Go to the top of the page
+
beefpatty
post 18.Oct.2012, 06:38 PM
Post #2

I don't know about Jonkoping but they have pets shops and grooming places and dog kennels everywhere. For food and things try animail.se

Sweden is very pet friendly don't worry. Our dogs love it. We even take them to the shopping mall which allows dogs (most shops do anyway).
+
edd1
post 19.Oct.2012, 07:06 AM
Post #3

In sweden petshop is Zoo

https://www.google.se/#hl=sv&gs_nf=3&am...269&bih=702

Vet is, veterinär.

https://www.google.se/#hl=sv&sclient=ps...f=p&pdl=300

You have also djurkliniken

https://www.google.se/#hl=sv&gs_nf=3&am...269&bih=702

Found one place for trimming near Jönkoping but there will be more, best to ask a vet in the area there.

http://www.djursaxen.se/?page_id=55

Cheers
+
Tusker
post 19.Oct.2012, 03:52 PM
Post #4

Good luck with the move. One small piece of advice, make sure you check out all the requirements, thoroughly, to import an animal into Sweden. Hong Kong is part of the Pets Passport scheme. Which if used properly will negate the need for the animals having to go into quarantine kennels. The information is available on the follwing website

www.jordbruksverket.se

We were caught out when we moved here and our pets ended up in kennels for 4 months, as the agent we had employed had done everything according to the UK rules, which are different.

After much expense and family sadness we got the cats and dogs in and they love it here. So please check out everything required to the finest detail, also I advise checking out thoroughly which airlines you can use. Not all airlines will fly pets. We used KLM and they were excellent, for the animals, whom I am sure had more leg room than I did!
+
Winter Child
post 22.Jan.2013, 09:40 AM
Post #5

Thanks for the info everyone! We are now preparing to move in February.

Tusker - I've read that HK is a listed non-EU country, meaning my pets just need veterinary health certificates, valid vaccinations against rabies and an ISO chip.

I will check again for sure though. Thanks for the heads up!

I am relocating my dogs and cats myself - no pet relocation company as I can't afford that, even though it would probably be less stressful!

Hopefully everything goes smoothly for my four fur-balls. Fingers crossed!
+
jman01
post 22.Jan.2013, 03:08 PM
Post #6

I just migrated here this month .. my dog is very little and I didn't bring him in a hardened case. So when i walked past the customs officials it looked like I was just carrying a small cooler for food and they didn't stop me. I didn't bother to verify if my dogs papers were correct or not since I managed to walk right past without getting stopped !
+
jvtx3232
post 22.Jan.2013, 03:37 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Winter Child @ 18.Oct.2012, 06:04 PM) *
I will be moving to Sweden from Hong Kong next year, so before I get there with my 2 cats and 2 dogs...

You're not bringing the dogs and cats in so you can eat them are you?

laugh.gif
blink.gif
+
Winter Child
post 22.Jan.2013, 03:51 PM
Post #8

Lucky you Jman01 - My dogs are big, so I'd get noticed if I tried to pull that off! I'd like to get things done properly though, so I don't have problems down the road.

Jvtx3232 - You're thinking about mainland China dry.gif
+
jvtx3232
post 22.Jan.2013, 03:59 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Winter Child @ 22.Jan.2013, 03:51 PM) *
Jvtx3232 - You're thinking about mainland China dry.gif

This letter-writer talks about Hong Kong too:

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/02/opinion/...ina-131016.html
blink.gif
+
skogsbo
post 22.Jan.2013, 06:08 PM
Post #10

I'll second everything above;

recheck the rules frequently because they do change, especially regarding duration between blood test and vaccine, worming/tick treatment. They dropped the requirement a little for some countries, but take nothing for granted.

Check the airline rules from crate/box sizes, as some of them may vary.

If the crate or pet carrier fits in your car, or you can have it at home, get the dog/s accustomed to sleeping and being it a few weeks before you fly.

Some carry will only allow pets on morning flights, if you plan to be on the same plane.

Gothenburg Airport customs staff who check freight and animals are not manned 24/7 at the airport, you may have fax/or drive your paperwork down to the harbour there, before the carrier will release the pets. Or like in our case the carrier gets so fed up with customs no being there, they look the paperwork themselves and you can take your pet there and then. They charge about 200kr for the privilege of being faxed and waiting for them!
+
Winter Child
post 8.Feb.2013, 02:01 PM
Post #11

Thanks for the tips skogsbo!

We will be arriving in Sweden on Feb 18th, so we're very nervous and excited! Mostly still just hoping that everything goes well.

Does anyone know of a good, professional vet near Emhult/Jonkoping? I've read very terrible things about vets in Sweden - ridiculous prices, unprofessional, inexperienced vets and assistants - things like that. It would be great if someone could recommend a reasonably priced veterinary center, where the vets actually care about animals.
+
PDX
post 8.Feb.2013, 02:24 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Winter Child @ 8.Feb.2013, 02:01 PM) *
I've read very terrible things about vets in Sweden - ridiculous prices, unprofessional, inexperienced vets and assistants - things like that.

Well, we've (with the exception of byke) read terrible thing about treatment of domestic pets in HK, like dog stir-fry and so on... how much truth is in that? rolleyes.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
byke
post 8.Feb.2013, 02:30 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (PDX @ 8.Feb.2013, 02:24 PM) *
Well, we've read terrible thing about treatment of domestic pets in HK, like dog stir-fry and so on... how much truth is in that? rolleyes.gif

I have never read that?
However I have read a fair few threads complaining about what the OP stated relating to Sweden.
+
PDX
post 8.Feb.2013, 02:37 PM
Post #14

I fixed my comment for you rolleyes.gif . I am sure you can find graphic descriptions as well as pictures of these practices yourself.

I posted a link showing prepartion of rats in HK restaurants once, not sure if that post still exists or whether it has been deleted. I do remember receiving a number of rather unhappy private messages mellow.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
byke
post 8.Feb.2013, 02:42 PM
Post #15

I am sure the OP cant wait to experience the delights of such personas that reflect on Swedish sentiment.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options