• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Areas of Malmo to avoid

Advice for those looking to rent accommodation

SiFly
post 30.May.2009, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Hi All,

I think that I am going to opt to rent in the Malmo area.

It seems like a nice place after I had visited there recently for the first time.

As ever when I have moved somewhere I am curious on what areas are best avoided for accommodation?

Are there areas of the city that are crime hot spots or just not safe?

I am not worried about the cost of renting at this stage just more what are good and bad places.

Any advice or experiences are welcome.

rolleyes.gif

Go to the top of the page
+
Buckshot
post 30.May.2009, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Stay away from Rosengård.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 30.May.2009, 01:39 PM
Post #3

If you are not worried about costs I would suggest Turning Torso...
+
Kaethar
post 30.May.2009, 02:28 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Buckshot @ 30.May.2009, 02:28 PM) *
Stay away from Rosengård.

+1

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 30.May.2009, 02:39 PM) *
If you are not worried about costs I would suggest Turning Torso...

+1
+
alopeciaa
post 30.May.2009, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Vastra Hamnen,is good but good luck finding anything there,i have been sending messages to renters in blocket and got only one reply wich was like"i will think of it"
i dont know if they don"t understand english or they just don't want to rent out their flat to foreigners.
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 30.May.2009, 04:48 PM
Post #6

It's very true that it's difficult to find places to rent in Malmö. My girlfriend and I were trying for may months - then we just got really lucky.

We live in Ribbersborg, which is pretty close to Västra Hamnen, and very close to the beach. Although I'm no beach bunny, it's nice to go there in the evening with a disposable BBQ, some beer, and a guitar (optional).
And our building's roof terrace thingy has a nice view of the water and the tower.

But good luck with finding something anytime soon... Let us know how you get on! wink.gif
+
Eel
post 30.May.2009, 07:33 PM
Post #7

Although some parts are ok I wouldn´t recommend Rosengård. Other areas that can be a bit crap are Södra Sofielund, Lindängen and Kroksbäck. However, bear in mind that these are bad areas BY SWEDISH STANDARDS. So if you´re from, say Thamesmead or Rotherhithe I reckon you´ll find all of Malmö very clean and orderly.
+
SiFly
post 30.May.2009, 08:15 PM
Post #8

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your advice, I will for sure make a note and keep with me when the rental agency helps me out.

I was not aware of the pain of finding rental in Malmo, so I will make a point to my employer (as I am being asked to move to Sweden form the UK) to get started early on searching for me.

Have any of you moved from the UK to Sweden? Do you have any golden pieces of information that could be useful for me? I have started looking at some material on a few websites.

I guess, from what I briefly saw in Malmo, there are plenty of things to do there? I am also hoping it is a social city and you can meet good people there.

cool.gif
+
skane refugee
post 31.May.2009, 09:07 AM
Post #9

Wouldn't worry too much about safety in various areas (some of the 'roughest' are Rosengård, Sofielund and around Möllevångstorget) ... but relative to the UK none of these areas even remotely register on the 'danger meter' ...

... a lot of nonsense is posted about Rosengård in particular on TL discuss by people who clearly don't live in Malmö ... I shop there (great for middle eastern food) and have been out and about in the evenings and never had even a hint of any trouble ...

... the real 'clear and present danger' in Sweden is utter soul destroying boredom ... therefore try to find an area that's got a spark of life about it ;o) ...
+
liveman
post 31.May.2009, 10:44 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (skane refugee @ 31.May.2009, 10:07 AM) *
Wouldn't worry too much about safety in various areas (some of the 'roughest' are Rosengård, Sofielund and around Möllevångstorget) ... but relative to the UK n ... (show full quote)

I agree with you 100%

A visit to Rosengård reveals beauty and cleanliness...a hallmark of Sweden.

How could one describe Rosengård as bad when it is almost surrounded by posh villas/shopping centers such as in Husie and Videda. A TV station and Ikea is few minutes drive. If you have a car, try to drive around Rosengård and see for yourself.

Those that make these bad comments about Rosengård/Malmo have never been or lived in Rosengård or its surrounding areas.

In comparison to other run down areas in Europe, Rosengård/Malmo is a heaven. I'll recommend Malmo to anyone who wants a less stressful lifestyle.

Put up or shut up!
+
SiFly
post 31.May.2009, 11:00 PM
Post #11

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your advice and insights, they are all welcome.

I wondered what would people say are the top things to do in and around Malmo? I am guessing things related to water sports? I am just trying to find out what activities are popular in the area.

Want to make sure I get out and meet good people in Malmo, of course I will have people form work but always heathly to find new friends in a new area.

Kind Regards,

wink.gif
+
naturebox
post 4.Jul.2009, 12:53 AM
Post #12

Hello to everyone.
I typed in goggle "how bad is rosengard " and this is what poped out on first place : )
Me and 2 friends of mine are starting the 09 autumn semester at Malmo University so we are trying hard to find a place to live. And I found a good apartment on a reasonable price. I was happy that i finally found someting after a week of searching, until my mates told me its in rosengard . It can't be that bad from what I've read so far. So I wanted to thank you for the useluf info u've provided here. Maybe we'l rent that rosengard's apartment.
Cheers,
Alex
+
AnuteCheFrute
post 25.Mar.2010, 02:06 PM
Post #13

Hi,
I am a girl moving to Malmo for a PhD. These posts were really interesting, however I never have the chance to went through rough areas in Britain so I can't really understand how bad are Malmo Neighboorhoods.
I am finding lots of room avaiable around Möllevångstorget, how is that area?
My standards for "being safe" are:
- going around by bycicle or buses until midnight
- having quiet and trustable neighboorhours
- no pushers or drunkers around at least during the day

thanks
best
anna
+
post 25.Mar.2010, 02:24 PM
Post #14

that's pretty much every corner of sweden even the "worst" areas people want to paint as frightening. women always need to be on their guard whenever and wherever even in sweden's "safest" (a poster's GF was attacked in stockholm's "best" area.) while i think women move freely throughout sweden without any fear whatsoever.

anyway, be prepared for the barrage of "immigrants in sweden have turned it into a war zone" posts that will surely ensue.
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 25.Mar.2010, 04:43 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (SiFly @ 30.May.2009, 02:00 PM) *
Hi All, I think that I am going to opt to rent in the Malmo area.It seems like a nice place after I had visited there recently for the first time.As ever when I have moved som ... (show full quote)

Rosengård is no rose garden, but you should judge for yourself. Perform an internet search for it and read the stories.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com