• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Crime in Sweden

Is it really better here?

Potentialexpat
post 22.Sep.2013, 03:20 PM
Post #31

Sweden is super low crime. Of course if you leave your stuff out it might get stolen. But in general Sweden is very very very low crime. However this lack of crime has turned Swedes into people lacking any street smarts at all. I meet people even from Stockholm the big city in Sweden having an utter lack of street smarts. A Swedish person once told me "Swedes are dumb as fuck when I was in high school I used to steal shit all the time. I have never been caught."

To explain what i mean by lack of street smarts.

Swedes will just throw parties at their house even with strangers they do not know without locking up valuables. Swedes often just leave out their iphones, and wallets. When faced with a potentially dangerous or criminal situation Swedes often have no idea what to do, and will stand their completely frozen. There was a scenario where these girls me, and my Swedish mates were partying with were being sexually harassed. (The men doing the sexually harassing were not Swedish.) Seeing the damsels were in distress I had to literally talk down 2 people on my own with the Swedish men standing their parlyzed/confused. Take into account it was 2 men doing this, and 3 of us. (We also I must say were in better shape.) Also I would say this was happening in a semi public place.

Fortunately once these men established that I was indeed not a bitch, and was willing to fight both of them that night they backed off. I will say one reason Sweden potentially has one of Europe's highest rape rates is the fact the men seem to lack the guts to even protect their women when such a situation arises. (its almost cartoonish how a bunch of people in shape will turn scared when a situation arises.)

Yes Sweden is low crime, and bad shit will not happen to you. But this lack of crime has transformed the population into the most unstreet smart people I have seen. Anyway if you find that your going to seriously get into a fight or your a girl that is getting sexually harassed/maybe even attempted rape. Do not count on the help of random bystanders. While I like Sweden a lot this utter lack of street smarts does make Sweden an easy stomping ground anyone foreign or Swedish criminal if they are so inclined.
Go to the top of the page
+
Migga
post 22.Sep.2013, 05:53 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (Potentialexpat @ 22.Sep.2013, 03:20 PM) *
There was a scenario where these girls me, and my Swedish mates were partying with were being sexually harassed.

So based on one scenario with two Swedes you can make a general claim about all Swedes? Laughable.
+
Potentialexpat
post 22.Sep.2013, 06:27 PM
Post #33

From multiple encounters with Swedes, and even asking Swedes questions about why they are so careless with their possessions. I have determined that Sweden is a place with obscenly low crime, and that a lack of crime or worrying about crime has made Swedes lack a level of street smarts that is common in most of the world. Maybe some Swedes are more in a certain situation, but when Swedes tell me certain things about themselves I am inclined to believe them!

I also understand how people from war torn countries having difficulties with the language would find Swedes very difficult to relate to! I like Swedes, and find them to be very friendly intelligent people for the most part. I also think that its great that people in Sweden do not have to worry about crime.
+
AgeOfReason
post 22.Sep.2013, 06:57 PM
Post #34

I you can bring forward the data with regards crime per capita, then you could say it is low crime or not.

I rather suspect that over the decades the main difference between being able to leave doors open or not has nothing to do with crime itself but more that insurance companies have become more and more aggressive in their investigations/analysis and determined to prove that you did not do everything necessary to protect your assets (eg. lock doors and windows) and therefore invalidate your insurance cover and they refuse to pay-out. So we take more care to protect our assets because we have insurance!

Another possible perspective is that it is reporting of crime that has increased (insurance claims require the police report), media coverage of crime, and availability (internet) to that push of information. Locks were invented many many years ago for a reason, it couldnt be just because they looked nice wink.gif crime has been around for a looooong time.
+
Svensksmith
post 22.Sep.2013, 10:49 PM
Post #35

It is also my impression that native Swedes are a nation of rule followers.
+
dave.smith
post 23.Sep.2013, 05:47 AM
Post #36

Or maybe, Ageofreason, it really is because it's safer in Sweden.

I have never had any issues despite leaving doors and windows unlocked most of the time. The only issues we have had as a result is our 83 year old neighbour coming over, unannounced, for breakfast - a few times in his underwear. After that we locked the door for a few weeks until he hopefully got the message. (He started again after a while and we had to chat with him, but that's another story).

The point is that people in Sweden, especially in the countryside, feel safe, and most have no issues leaving doors and windows unlocked.
+
skogsbo
post 23.Sep.2013, 07:23 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (AgeOfReason @ 22.Sep.2013, 06:57 PM) *
. Locks were invented many many years ago for a reason, it couldnt be just because they looked nice wink.gif crime has been around for a looooong time.

one of our barns has homemade metal grills across the inside of the windows and an old half wooden lock on the door, with a BIG old key. Apparently when it was made 100-120 years grain theft was a problem.

As long as people had some possession theft probably existed, be it cavemen stealing other peoples kills to iphones
+
Seamus Sean
post 23.Sep.2013, 08:11 AM
Post #38

I recall when I first came to these parts traveling around and seeing how building sites would be left come 15.00 or what ever knocking off time was.

Materials, machinery just left lying around, no one watching it, compared to at home where high fences would be patrolled by security men or dogs just to make sure all the equipment was there the following morning.

I said to my wife the tinker boys at home would think they had landed in heaven if they saw how Swedes were so laid back when it came to basic security measures on these building sites we passed.

Sure enough it came to pass that one day I spotted some of the lads from home, all the vans with Irish and British plates parked on the local campsite, they were there over a weekend and then Monday morn they were gone...as was loads of other stuff, I think it was close to a million sek´s worth of gear gone from sites around these parts.

Sorry if this information upsets you Migga but it did happen!
+
Ivor stephé
post 23.Sep.2013, 08:19 AM
Post #39

The term "Crime" is very broad, but its clear that violence is on the increase.
If its not stabbings over the weekend, its another shooting.

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/en-skadad...ing-i-enkoping/
+
dave.smith
post 23.Sep.2013, 08:43 AM
Post #40

Seamus:

Sounds like Pikeys!
+
Seamus Sean
post 23.Sep.2013, 09:14 AM
Post #41

Morning Dave,

What key opens any lock??

Pikeys!

These guys that I saw were pure breed Irish Tinkers! smile.gif
+
Hisingen
post 23.Sep.2013, 10:52 PM
Post #42

Alas, all forms of crime are on the increase now, not only in Sweden and so much is due, I feel, to the opening of the borders via Schengen, and the broadening of the EUSSR.
Back in the 60's life was that much easier, and as has been mentioned, building sites were left in the evening ready for work again next morning. Now the companies are lucky if there is diesel in the trucks to even get to the site, and much of the stolen goods ends up on the other side of the Baltic.

I blame it on the weather - and the EUSSR.
+
Herlie
post 25.Sep.2013, 01:05 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Potentialexpat @ 22.Sep.2013, 05:27 PM) *
I also understand how people from war torn countries having difficulties with the language would find Swedes very difficult to relate to!

Why war torn countries? Why not peaceful ones? I find it difficult to relate to Swedes!

By the way, my boyfriend is Swedish, and he takes control of any situation that gets out of hand. I don't suppose he is your usual Swede, though. He hates other Swedes too.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se