• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Question residence permit

Questions about UT v. PUT

merovingiane
post 24.Dec.2012, 10:21 PM
Post #1

Hej guys,

I have few questions, I hope you would like to spend few mins to help a person in need smile.gif

1) I am an American citizen and married to a Swedish citizen (natural-born Swede). We're applying for my residence permit so that I can move to Sweden and start to learn Swedish language and take my master's degree in Sweden. Is it true that I can only get UT instead of PUT since I haven't lived with my partner for a very long time? (2 months).

2) My partner told me one day -- half-jokingly -- that if he died (due to his high-risk employment) my UT will be cancelled and there is no way I can get a PUT, is this true? (In the US, death of petitioner doesn't revoke a green card). Does revocation means that I have to leave Sweden even I am a couple semesters short from graduating?

Thank you guys so so much!
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 25.Dec.2012, 01:23 AM
Post #2

You will get a UT at first although even this is not 100% as marriage is not the factor but the length and seriousness of your relationship as well as possibly age. Indeed in your death example UT can be canceled.
+
Kibiri
post 25.Dec.2012, 01:32 AM
Post #3

You will most probably get UT, and not PUT.

For the second question, it is a case by case thing - if they decide that you have no connection to Sweden anymore, they might not renew your permit. But if you are studying, then at worst you could easily change to a student residence permit.

On the other hand, if your spouse disappears after you get PUT, then you keep your PUT.
+
olga118
post 25.Dec.2012, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Regarding your first question I can only share my experience. Though my husband and I were married when I applied for Swedish residency we had never lived together in either USA or Sweden (We had known each other for 30 years, we had spend a lot of time together in the interim, 2nd marriage for both of us). I was told by my caseworker that, since we were already married, the application and questions regarding our relatonship were merely a formality and that there really was no question as to whether or not the permit would be issued. In fact it was issued within 5 weeks of my applying, though that isn't necessarily the norm.
I expect the others who replied know far more about the 2nd situation than I, though I have read that in different places but, really, why worry about that now?
+
Yorkshireman
post 27.Dec.2012, 01:26 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (merovingiane @ 24.Dec.2012, 10:21 PM) *
My partner told me one day -- half-jokingly -- that if he died (due to his high-risk employment) my UT will be cancelled and there is no way I can get a PUT, is this true? (In ... (show full quote)

I would be more concerned being the partner if the OP is more focussed on the status of the permit and completion of education, than the fact that the partner died! ohmy.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com