• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Joining the Labor Union

Should I go for Jusek or Unionen?

wondering
post 13.Jan.2013, 11:46 PM
Post #1

Hi,

It is time for me to join the labor union.

But I am not sure which union to join.

I work in IT and was thinking of either Jusek or Unionen.

What do you recommend ?

Also I need to join A-Kassa as well. But I am confused as Unionen redirects to this A-Kassa (http://www.unionensakassa.se/medlemskap/) while Jusek sends you to (http://www.aea.se/medlemskap/) . I am confused. What is the right A-Kassa ?

Note if you join Unionen then from what I understand then you must join their A-Kassa otherwise you are not covered with their job loss insurance.

Can someone please advise on the Union and the A-Kassa as well ? FYI I am Non-EU so I don't know if that is important as well.

Thanks !
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 14.Jan.2013, 08:34 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (wondering @ 13.Jan.2013, 11:46 PM) *
Can someone please advise on the Union and the A-Kassa as well ? FYI I am Non-EU so I don't know if that is important as well.

IT Professionals are more likely to join Unionen than Jusek. The membership fee for Unionen includes automatic salary insurance upto 60.000:-/m for approx 7 months, and you can pay an additional monthly fee to insure beyond that upto 150.000:-/m. However, this is insurance in addition to the standard a-kassa (unemployment insurance), so yes, you do need to join an a-kassa. It should not make a difference which a-kassa you join, but joining one is a must if you want some insurance cover in case you lose your job.

A-Kassa is treated as seperate from the Union itself, because in Sweden the unemployment insurance is not managed by the State, but rather by other organisations, normally unions (though there is 1 that is independant).

You do not have to be a member of the union to join an a-kassa, hence the difference in a-kassa sites, and union sites.

If You are joining Unionen, then it makes good sense to also join Unionens a-kassa, and same if you join Jusek (join their managed a-kassa).

The monthly fee for the a-kassa can fluctuate depending upon how many of the Union members are expected to become unemployed, since Unionen has around half a million members, and many are in relatively stable jobs, or jobs with higher incomes, their fees remain relatively stable wink.gif
+
Kibiri
post 14.Jan.2013, 10:39 AM
Post #3

Imo best is to ask your colleagues which union they are in, as it is not good to be in this union when everybody else is in that union.
Because it would be that union to be taken seriously by the employer, during a dispute or any sticky situation.
+
Essingen
post 14.Jan.2013, 10:47 AM
Post #4

You should absolutely join the akassa as soon as possible in order to get started on the necessary qualitying period.

If I were a cynic, I would say that the reason why many unions include some form of additional income insurance in their membership fees is because they otherwise represent very poor value for money. In my own case, I pay around SEK 270 a month membership fee...which includes some income insurance, another SEK 100 or so for the A kassa and a similar amount to extend the union's income insurance for 360 days. In total therefore around SEK 470 a month which is simply too much.
+
wondering
post 14.Jan.2013, 12:53 PM
Post #5

@Essingen : What Union are you a member of ?

Thanks for the input guys.

Jusek and its A-Kassa comes to around 385 SEK with the supplementary insurance with support upto 300 days.

While Unionen comes to around 415 SEK with the supplementary insurance.

For me the money is not so important but the support I will get from them is.

As I will be renewing my Work Permit this year it is important that my union gives their opinion in the application form to Migrationsverket.

I am also inclined to think that perhaps Unionen is a better option.
+
Essingen
post 14.Jan.2013, 01:06 PM
Post #6

Finansförbundet

Sounds like you have researched the situation very well. In the current difficult job environment the money might be worth it, but remember that there is a qualifying period for all these benefits to be paid out, which is usually a year.
+
wondering
post 21.Jan.2013, 02:23 PM
Post #7

Hi,

Quick update on this issue.

Unionen apparently no longer give opinions for Non-EU members EVEN if you are a member with them. Plus they haven't replied to my email in over a week !

Jusek on the other hand said that I should just send them the form from the employer to them. So it looks like Jusek is more responsive.

Problem is Jusek only covers upto 80000 SEK while Unionen would go upto 150000 SEK.

How likely is it that I earn more than 80000 SEK in IT which is double what I make now ? dry.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com