• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Who is the most famous Swede

From an outside of Sweden perspective?

Investor612
post 27.Jan.2013, 10:02 PM
Post #31

Greta Garbo
Ingrid Bergman
Annika Sorenstam
Bjorn Borg
Gustavus Adolphus
Ingemar Stenmark
Ingemar Johannson
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 28.Jan.2013, 02:40 AM
Post #32

The most famous Swede is the mother or father of a Swedish child...they are soooo important to him/her and probably the first person they recognized! rolleyes.gif
+
Pursuivant
post 28.Jan.2013, 11:52 AM
Post #33

Olof Palme or Raul Wallenberg
+
cogito
post 28.Jan.2013, 12:46 PM
Post #34

1. Lisbeth Salander
2. Pippi Longstocking
3. Greta Garbo
+
Pharazon
post 30.Jan.2013, 01:02 AM
Post #35

Charles Lindbergh
Buzz Aldrin
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 30.Jan.2013, 01:15 AM
Post #36

Maj. Richard I. Bong - Medal of Honor
+
soultraveler3
post 30.Jan.2013, 01:16 AM
Post #37

Pippi and the Chef by far.
+
gabfree407
post 30.Jan.2013, 09:08 AM
Post #38

Richard Widmart
+
Movedtoswedenandgotstuck
post 30.Jan.2013, 07:59 PM
Post #39

Why Oh why has no-one mentioned Ingmar Bergman.
He was about the only famous Swede, that I knew was Swedish before moving to Sweden.
I knew ABBA was Swedish too but I only knew about the group not the individuals.
Such is the small bubble I live in.
+
Hamsterdam
post 30.Jan.2013, 08:35 PM
Post #40

Post 11 mate. Read it and weep

Interesting some of the choices though, it certainly says a lot about the person who makes them. No surprises about some of the regular twats who think they are bright.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 30.Jan.2013, 10:14 PM
Post #41

Who was "Either Bergman"?...laugh.gif
+
jostein
post 31.Jan.2013, 12:31 AM
Post #42

Actually, coming to think about it, God is even more famous than Fridays. And as everyone knows, God came from Götaland (or possibly Gotland) biggrin.gif

Earliest known use of the word God in its modern meaning is from the silverbible of the Ostrogoths. According to Jordanes the goths came from Scandza (scandinavia). In scandinavia we have two "lands" that are candidates for the homelands of the goths (based on ethymology), Gotland and Götaland.

I heard a different story than what is in wikipedia of the origin of the word Goth (and thus God, if this rather spirous thery is correct). And that is that the modern version is utGJUTA, as in ejaculation, seed. Things to do with reproduction is a better candidate for the name of a people and for God in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_%28word%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

By the way, anyone ever give the shape of Mjölnir a second thought? It look like a rather poor weapon, does it not biggrin.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mjollnir.png
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options