• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Looking for a VPN box

To bypass using a PC - TV connection

Rick Methven
post 14.Nov.2012, 03:00 PM
Post #1

I have Freesat so I get all the UK channels BBC ITV ec but would also like to use the iplayers that are now getting quite sophisticated. There are bbc iplayer and itvplayer, sat channels but they require an internet connection to work. I have internet ethernet connections on both my TV and my Humax Foxsat box but whenever I try to use the connections to use iplayer, it comes back with the dreaded

" Sorry this service is not available in your region"

I could use my netbook with a VPN to run iplayer but I would then need to use the Computer connection on the TV which looses a lot of definition and not so convenient.

What I want is a simple box with a VPN installed that goes between my router and the TV or satbox that makes them think I have a UK IP.

Has anybody got such a box or know of one?

If the dire warnings that we will loose sattelite reception in Sweden when Astra 2F becomes operational, become true, such a tunnel box could be very handy.
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 14.Nov.2012, 03:12 PM
Post #2

can you not just use a smart dns?
+
byke
post 14.Nov.2012, 04:09 PM
Post #3

Rick, are you able to make changes to the DNS in your freeview box or modem?
+
AW1
post 14.Nov.2012, 04:32 PM
Post #4

Could you not set up a vpn on your router?
+
Rick Methven
post 14.Nov.2012, 04:55 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (byke @ 14.Nov.2012, 03:12 PM) *
can you not just use a smart dns?

No

QUOTE (byke @ 14.Nov.2012, 04:09 PM) *
Rick, are you able to make changes to the DNS in your freeview box or modem?

No

QUOTE (AW1 @ 14.Nov.2012, 04:32 PM) *
Could you not set up a vpn on your router?

Not possible as I have a fibre connection and a fixed IP address with my my ISP.

I have heard of something like boxee that is a small router that you program with a VPN account. you do not have to login every time and it is only connected to the appliances you want to use so your computer does not use the VPN.
+
byke
post 14.Nov.2012, 05:27 PM
Post #6

Rick, I googled your humax and apparently there is allot of custom firmware out there for such which means if you flashed it which is common practice, it allows such things as being able to enter DNS ... Which would then mean you should be able to watch catchup without having to connect to a VPN as it would go through smart DNS which is also faster
+
Gordy
post 14.Nov.2012, 06:25 PM
Post #7

Rick take a look at www.dd-wrt.com its open source firmware for a variety of routers that lets you set them up as a vpn box just what you are looking for. I found a Linksys router from the list in my local computer shop for 220Sek and it was dead simple to flash the firmware. I then connected it to my Telia router and can in turn connect devices to the Vpn router either wired or wirelessly. I haven"t used it in quite a while but I'd guess you can set it up with a smart dns which would be simpler to use than the VPN.
+
Gordy
post 14.Nov.2012, 08:04 PM
Post #8

Just checked which router I used and it was a D-Link DIR-600 which are still available for around 250SEK or less.
+
beefpatty
post 14.Nov.2012, 08:13 PM
Post #9

Can you get freesat channels in Stockholm?
+
byke
post 14.Nov.2012, 08:37 PM
Post #10

Yes if you have a big dish.
+
Beef
post 15.Nov.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Gordy @ 14.Nov.2012, 06:25 PM) *
Rick take a look at www.dd-wrt.com its open source firmware for a variety of routers that lets you set them up as a vpn box just what you are looking for. I found a Linksys ro ... (show full quote)

Yes, I did this on a netgear router using VPNUK which has dd-wrt support. works really well, with maybe just a reboot required once a week.. Rick, I PMd you.
+
Cheeseroller2
post 18.Nov.2012, 06:33 PM
Post #12

Why bother with satellite? I use a VPN service that costs $50 and watch via my notebook T home or when traveling. Just bought a second account so I can watch USA channels (saves logging in to change VPN server location each time). Google StrongVPN
+
Gordy
post 18.Nov.2012, 07:05 PM
Post #13

Your crazy!

All you need is one smartDNS service like Unblockus or UnoDNS. Half the price of a VPN and depending on which website you surf to it will intelligently switch the IP address that the website sees as your's to the appropriate one for that website. Plus there is no throttling of your connection speed as there is with a VPN.
+
Cheeseroller2
post 18.Nov.2012, 08:51 PM
Post #14

Not as crazy as someone who sticks up a 3m dish ;-). But thanks for the links - I'll give that a try.
+
Gordy
post 22.Nov.2012, 12:09 PM
Post #15

Well Rick, any joy?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply